Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kris

ZDoom and WADs

OK, I did what you guys said I should do. I went and downloaded ZDoom. I am thinking about downloading Legacy in the near future. Well, ZDoom r0x0rs!! I like just as much as ordinary Doom/2 if not better. I just love the ability to look up or down and the ability to jump! It kicks!
Anyway, I downloaded some WAD files that are ZDoom-specific, and I wonder: how do you get them to work? Thanks in advance for answering.
/me loads up ZDoom and plays some more

I'll semi-quote myself from a previous topic (yours actually):

For ZDoom and Legacy and all that:

* Download one. Let's say you get the map called ultracoolzdoomonlymap.wad.
* Unzip it into your DOOM or DOOM II directory.
* At the DOS prompt get into your DOOM or DOOM II directory so that you see c:\doom>_ or c:\doom2>_
* Type zdoom -file ultracoolzdoomonlymap.wad and you're on your way.

There isn't really anything special about it, just don't try to use ultracoolzdoomonlymap.wad with the original doom2.exe. And make sure that if ultracoolzdoomonlymap.wad is made for DOOM II that you use it with the copy of Zdoom in your DOOM II directory.

Unfortunately, you can't use the console in ZDooM to load external PWADs (like you can in Q2, for instance). You can use the command line (i.e., zdoom -file mywad or zdoom mywad), create a batch file with the command line text in it, and run it directly from Win 95/98/2000, or use a zdoom launcher or front end.