Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Rubilacxe

Looking for a job as "Dehacked Guy"

Hey, if anyone is planning to do a PC/TC/MOD and needs a guy who's good with Dehacked, give me an e-mail (I3aron400@aol.com) or post here.

I would love to be a part of some project, plus I can show you a sample of my work, if your interested.

Any takers?

BTW: Just so you know, the Dehacked part of Cube was not ripped; I made it myself.

Hmm, not sure how to answer that, Ling. Everyone has their own opinion on "cool"

I can make weapons create monsters, but thats more in the catagory of "original" to me. Unless of course, people find that to be "cool". :)

My upcoming MOD (Not Cacodemon Squad) Has some excellent use of Dehacked, like I made it so that the Gluon Gun uses two points of ammo instead of 1.

Ling, I am sure I've seen you mention at least once (around the time of the 10 sectors contest) that you are pretty damn fly with dehacked, and were going to do some amazing stuff for a project (forget which one).

Anything you can share?

OK well let's see...

For ID4Doom I had a shitload of stuff that I made. Let me remember...

* The first boss encounter, the boss walked around the arena and fired at you, etc. However, around the arena there were several sentry turret stations poking out of the ground, and when the boss got near one he would use that to fire at you instead.

* The second boss encounter, the boss was actually the energy core of a alien ship. The energy core shot out friggin hundreds of fireballs at you, etc.

* The third boss encounter, was some big badass on a alien mothership. The boss would run around and fire at you -- but it was different. The boss would fire a shot at you, then instantly teleport away and reappear somewhere else to fire another shot at you, then it would teleport away again, etc etc. The teleporting location was totally random, so it was impossible to tell where it would be next. Plus, it teleported around fast enough that oftentimes it would be out of the way before your projectile weapons hit it.

* The fourth boss was pretty standard, enemy walking around, firing shotgun rapid-fire, shooting homing balls of death which killed you even if they didn't hit you but just came close.

* There were sentry cannons which sat around and shot at you if they saw you.

* There were vent ducts in the walls that hovering drone enemies would come popping out of, and you had to find the switches to close them off.

* There were landmines that blew up when you stepped on them. Also, the landmines were normally invisible since they were buried underground, but if you got a "mine detector" powerup, you could see where they were located -- they would show up as bright orange on the ground.

* There were levels which took place on spaceships, so if you opened an airlock door, you would die instantly, plus you would be sucked out of the door into space.

* One level was right after you blew up the core of the mothership, and the entire level was you running away from the explosions. You ran down corridors, and behind you, the giant fireball would come rushing down the hallways to kill you. This same effect was in one of the levels of Batman Doom, to my great surprise. However, my version (which I never got working totally right) allowed the explosions to turn corners and stuff.

* On a few levels you were piloting a spaceship instead of running around on the ground. In those levels, you would have a spaceship HUD weapon display, and no normal other weapons. Since you didn't know much about the alien vessel you were flying, you couldn't shoot, but you would have to fly around and get past the other alien fighters anyway. Also, those levels had different mechanics so it wasn't just like you were running around -- it actually felt more like you were flying. Also, when you finished the level and went to the next one, you would no longer have the alien pod ship weapon, and you'd have your normal weapons back (though not with the same amount of ammo).

* The alien pod ships you were trying to avoid wouldn't just walk around or fly around like regular Doom monsters -- they ZOOMED around the level like a pod ship would. A weird side effect was that when the pod ships got close to you, they would circlestrafe around you while shooting.

* There was an alien that didn't have any sort of attack. It didn't fire at you or bite you or anything. Instead, it used its mental powers to BLIND you. Your entire viewscreen would go pitch black, and the only way to regain your sight was to kill the alien doing it, or get out of it's line of sight.

* In the fourth act you were on the alien homeworld, so not everyone you ran into were fighters. As you rampaged through the cities of the aliens, you would come upon alien civilians which, when they saw you, would scream and run away. When they got out of sight, they would crouch down and hide. Then, if you ran after them and they saw you again, they would scream and run away again.

* There were teleporters that simply WOULD NOT work until you did something special. Like, you would be able to walk over the teleport pad, but nothing would happen -- you wouldn't be teleported anywhere. You would have to press a switch or do something special for it to work. Also, the same teleporter could send you different places -- like it could send you to one area every time you used it, and then after you pressed a certain switch, it would send you to an entirely different area.

* There were CONTROLLABLE turrets. Like, you got up on this big giant gun, and pressed a switch -- and the gun would fire a rocket. Then you would have to wait a few seconds for it to reload before you could fire it again. Also, another variety of turret, when you pressed the switch, would continually fire plasma out the nozzle of the turret until you backed away from the console. There were going to be levels where you were hopelessly outgunned and had to use turrets to destroy giant streams of aliens coming for you.

* The game had alien monsters which were sort of like fiends from Quake -- they would jump at you from afar, and then slash at you up close.

* One of the levels required you to open a big blast door. You could do it the normal way, which required you to traverse a big level filled with tough monsters that was nearly impossible to beat before finding the switch to open the door, or you could choose an alternate method and blow up every single computer console on the level, which would open the door.

* Certain levels had walks along giant cliffs, and if you fell off a cliff you would die instantly.

That's about all that I can think of. Remember, * ALL OF THIS WAS IN DOOM2.EXE * except for one or two things which required Boom extensions.

This wasn't in ID4Doom, but another time I made a "personal shield" thing that was pretty sweet. The idea was that this thing was like a bubble or something that floated over and around you, and absorbed any attacks that monsters shot at you. The bubble thing would then destroy the shit out of the monster that had attacked you, and then resume protecting you from damage.

I can make weapons create monsters, but thats more in the catagory of "original" to me.

Go play Artica 4, I think it was. The one with the mini-demon weapon.

My upcoming MOD (Not Cacodemon Squad) Has some excellent use of Dehacked, like I made it so that the Gluon Gun uses two points of ammo instead of 1.

OMG, AWESOME!!!

LOL, after that whole ID4 thing, I feel a bit "out-gunned" :)

UPDATE: Hey Ling, know any place where I can get ID4Doom or Artica 4?

coolest thing i ever did was use the spawn spot a as a badguy who shot a missle at the player. The missle death then would fire a non homing demon spawn cube (with damage)back in the monsters direction. This works well casue if you dodge the fireball, another one fires back around (and goes through the monster and takes a good chunk out of the player) um yeah

I've just used DEH/BEX hacking to change level names and add some spice to the weapons.

I remember one time I made the BFG look like a red plasma rifle... heheh. I replaced all the firing animations too and got rid of those cones. The shots were just red plasma rifle shots. Each animation frame of the shot burst had the code pointer for rocket splash damage. I made it eat 10 cells per shot and fire just a little slower than the rocket launcher.

Hoo boy, now THAT thing was a weapon you didn't want to fuck with. =)

Living legend indeed. Those things you have done sound really impressive. I can make a guess at how some of them might have been done, but others mystify me (just as intended I suppose). It's always nice when you find a mod that does something you didn't think doom could do. I'm sure I'm not the only one who plays levels and mods and at least subconsciously acknowledges how the various tricks were done as I play it. Something that "breaks the rules" brings back some of the playing for the first time feeling.

IIRC, ID4 was cancelled right?

Did any of this cool stuff ever see the light of day, and if so is there a link anywhere?

I've just used DEH/BEX hacking to change level names and add some spice to the weapons.

I do a lot of that too. My favorite things to is make completely new enemies. Or find some object that's rarely used and change it to a cool new enemy.

* There was an alien that didn't have any sort of attack. It didn't fire at you or bite you or anything. Instead, it used its mental powers to BLIND you. Your entire viewscreen would go pitch black, and the only way to regain your sight was to kill the alien doing it, or get out of it's line of sight.

Its attack was the archvile's flame, but no explosion. You made it all black instead of fire. Correct?

Now, How did you make that first one?

I just use EDGE these days, but I started off with dehacked...I like secondary fire, and I like the expandability...and as much as I USED to think it was an extension of dehacked, I now don't think I can say that, because dehacked can do some things that EDGE cannot. For instance, I'm willing to bet that with dehacked, you could give the bullet puff splash damage because of code pointers. With EDGE, I'm pretty sure you can't. Although I'm just starting to screw around with the bounce thing, so, who knows.