Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spike

Vampirajay's 'Biohazard' (Underworld Map13)...

Woah, dude, That stuff is like beyond awesome, that stuff is like The God of any screenies I have seen before. You are a God to me. Jezum Crow, Those are the Best!!! I can't wait for it!! Keep up de good work Vampirajay!!!

And Thanks Spike for sharing those with us. :D

Someone must have changed the pictures. I don't see anything too "wow" or "ass kicking" there. Oh wait, it's OpenGL WOWOWOWOWOWWOWOWOWOWOWO ASS KICKING R0X0RING !!!!!!!!!!!11111111

To be completely honest, that is one of the ugliest levels I've laid my eyes on in a while. The detail is sub-Doom2. There's no actual architecture. The choice of textures is boring.

The shiny OpenGL-ness doesn't make it good.

fen boi said:

You guys are easily pleased, very easily pleased

Yeah, just make a screenshot in OpenGL of a 256x256 room with nothing in it and people will love it.

fen boi said:

You guys are easily pleased, very easily pleased

Either that, or you guys are way too nitpicky.

Fredrik said:

To be completely honest, that is one of the ugliest levels I've laid my eyes on in a while.

I've seen far uglier on the original UD/D2 maps - and i don't care if you think i'm biased.

The detail is sub-Doom2. There's no actual architecture.

No actual architecture? We have a dias in the center with a teleporter. The floor and ceiling are split open to reveal blood flows that also cast a red glow. Those pentagram walls are doors with transparancy. And on top of all that, it's one room. Look Here.

The choice of textures is boring.

They're hell-type textures (SW1GARG, WOODMET1, SP_HOT1, METAL and a new texture, PENTDOOR) that go together well. If it looks 'boring' it's because the screenshot is taken in mid-glow cycle for the lights - everything is cast in red light for atmosphere.

No-one said it did. Excellent wads were made long before Jdoom was released.

Tarin, Fredrik, Ebola and anyone else who doesn't like these screenshots of my map, if you think it is ugly, or just looks good cuz of GL, there is a simple solution to the fact you don't like them. don't fucking play it!

Fredrik said:

To be completely honest, that is one of the ugliest levels I've laid my eyes on in a while. The detail is sub-Doom2. There's no actual architecture. The choice of textures is boring.

No you are.

Vampirajay said:

Tarin, Fredrik, Ebola and anyone else who doesn't like these screenshots of my map, if you think it is ugly, or just looks good cuz of GL, there is a simple solution to the fact you don't like them. don't fucking play it!

I never intended to play it ^__________^

Someone posted the screenshots though, so opinions ought to have been expected.

Fredrik said:

I never intended to play it ^__________^

Someone posted the screenshots though, so opinions ought to have been expected.

'Constructive Criticism' is a wonderful thing to give - and recieve.
A slag-off-a-thon isn't necessary to point out things you don't like - would it have been that hard to suggest things that COULD be done to make it better instead of just telling her that it's 'Ugly'?

You make wads don't you? give her a hand if you're gonna be like that.

Fredrik. i don't mind your actually opinion on my map, what i do mind is the way you phrased yourself, Spike and I work hard on our maps and it isn't very nice when someone makes you feel like shit because "they" put a comment that isn't exactly nice. you could have said, i don't like it but nice effort or something like that. instead you tell me my map is the ugliest you have ever seen!

I really like it. The only one of screenies I don't like is the bubble room. But the pentagram room look nice... :)

Thank you Torn for your comment, much appreciated is the comments with constructive critism (as Spike put it) I am going to do more with the actual "water room" but as of yet i am not sure what, waiting for all them good ideas to pop into my head :)

http://www.reznor.demon.co.uk/bio.jpg

Staring at a wall, through which is a rectangular room with some chunks cut out of the walls. Kind of plain. Try putting some "lips" on those holes -- small bits around them with different textures to break up the wall. Also, instead of having a flat window wall like that, you might want to try making the windows curved in or out, just to give the room a little more depth. Try curving the windows, and maybe recessing them a few units into the wall.

http://www.reznor.demon.co.uk/bio2.jpg

It's hard to see anything from a shot where you're staring at a wall and a door. Maybe recess the switch, other than that I can't say much.

http://www.reznor.demon.co.uk/bio3.jpg

The best of the screenshots, I like the hellish wall. This is taken a few feet back from the last one I presume. The wood on the left doesn't mesh well with the conrete-ish floor and ceiling, you might want to put a intermediate "lip" between them -- maybe a dark metal or something, to break up the incongruity. Also, it never hurts to break up large stretches of ceilings by raising a portion of them slightly, and maybe using a different but similar texture. Some people would have you do the same with the floor but I'm not one of them.

http://www.reznor.demon.co.uk/bio4.jpg

Pretty plain really, I've seen hellish rooms like this a million times. On the wall between the two doors in the background, maybe you'd want to add that hellish face texture recessed into the wall like in the last shot. Some ambient corpses and blood puddles and such would help too.

Oh, and the status bar is way too noisy, it looks like it would distract from the gameplay.

Vampirajay said:

Fredrik. i don't mind your actually opinion on my map, what i do mind is the way you phrased yourself, Spike and I work hard on our maps and it isn't very nice when someone makes you feel like shit because "they" put a comment that isn't exactly nice. you could have said, i don't like it but nice effort or something like that. instead you tell me my map is the ugliest you have ever seen!

Welcome to the real world.

Ling - Thank you, that has helped a lot and i will take into consideration of what you said

Tarin - Fuck You, you stuck up hypocrital little fuck

boris said:

Welcome to the real world.

Yes, indeed this is the real world, but nevertheless there is No need to be so harsh. I understand thats only your opinion, but the least you could do is be kind enough to spare the rude comments and just say that it doesnt appeal to your tastes, there is no need to call it Ugly or anything around those lines.

Personaly, I think that this map looks pretty damn good. The sharp contrast between the bright red of the light and the deep black shadows just adds to the atmosphere. I especialy like how she used red lighting effects to change the color of the skin texture so that it has an eerie glow (more ethereal than just flayed skin) and also fits the color scheme to the map better. Also, the pentegram doors are pretty damn cool as well, and I like the detail done on the weird summoning platform thingy.

They're using the JDoom engine so they might as well exploit a few lighting effects. The way I see it, it would be pointless to map on JDoom without doing something with the lighting. And from what I've seen of their maps so far, the wad looks pretty damn cool, and I would download it if my computer was capable of running openGL. :/

-D(A)N

P.S. I agree with what Ling says to. I was just trying to be nice because everyone else with detail criticism seemed to be negative.
Ling just snuck that li'l post in when I was in the middle of mine. :)