Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dsm

Favorite Megawad?

Just to do something I rarely do (post a new thread in the General forum), here's a question to y'all: (Look at topic heading)

I think my all-time favorite is Memento Mori 1 (which I should have got my hands around YEARS ago instead of just a few months ago).
MM2 is also badass, but all my fav Memento Mori maps are in MM1.

A toss up between Requiem and Eternal Doom. Requiem is action packed and gritty, but Eternal Doom still installs in me a sense of wonder and amazement that's difficult to resist.

I haven't really played many megawads, but one I really like is eNJay's ZDoom 2001 (the one with sloped ceilings/floors). Not finished yet ;-)

Hmm, hard to say, and I haven't finished all the megawads. I always accidentally save over my saves from megawads :(

I nearly finished Memento mori 2, but some of the final maps (28,29 maybe?) were so crappy that I couldn't finish it. I wonder how did they get to the megawad that is so exellent... Eternal Doom looks good, but I haven't played it much yet, mainly because my brother played it and he had serious problems trying to find the way in some maps.

There are so many megawads I've liked that I don't know what to say. Maybe MM2 (I never finished MM1).

I haven't played many megawads. I usually just play single level wads. Anyone want to suggest any (and give me a URL) so that I could play some?

dsm said:
Just to do something I rarely do (post a new thread in the General forum)

How dare you?

I think magikal's post covered most of the main ones. Note that this thread contains some useful suggestions. Also Doom Underground and Sir Robin's Doom Castle feature very reliable reviews of many wads and megawads.

I'll just mention two more megawads. The first I regard as a "must-play" - I rank it above everything except HR and AV. The second is quirky, but lots of fun:
STRAIN
H2H-XMAS

I think a few multi-level episodes (i.e. not full 32/36-level megawads) deserve a mention too:
Enigma
Equinox
Death Tormention II
Slayer
Iditarod
Odyssey
Hacx
Doom Resurrection
Hell Revealed II
Murderous Intent
All these are very highly recommended, and a good challenge.

Doom
Vengeance
2002ADO
Invasion

Doom2
Memento Mori
Memento Mori II
Icarus
Requiem
Strain
Alien Vendetta
Invasion II

Dimensions of Time was the first Ive ever played, it ruled, but now I like Icarus best...

True megawads:

1: Memento Mori 2
2: Memento Mori 1
3: 2002 A Doom Oddysey
4: Alien Vendetta
5: Vengeance
6: Requiem
7: 10 Sectors
8: 10 Sectors 2
9: Icarus
10: Twilight Zone 2

11+ level wads:

1: Darkening 2
2: Equinox
3: Caverns of Darkness
4: AfterDoom Deep Space Pursuit
5: Dystopia 3
6: The Adventures of Massmouth
7: Darkening
8: Oneweek
9: The Talosian Incident
10: Stone

8/9 level episodes (one of them is for Doom2):

1: Chris Lutz' Inferno
2: Fava Beans
3: Christian Hansen's Retro Episode
4: Phobos: Relive the Nightmare
5: Crusades (The former "Spooky" series)
6: The Classic Episode
7: Dawn of the Dead
8: Return to Phobos
9: Back to Hell
10: Death Tormention

Well, I'm guessing that's a top ten list there, so his favorite would be Memento Mori 2. Strange that Eternal wasn't on that list.

If megawads weren't as popular and so many great levelsets didn't exist, then my choice would be easier, but as is.. I couldn't narrow it down to an absolute favorite if I tried. Personally, I really enjoy playing all mini/mega episodes, so I find them all appealing for one reason or another. Every episode already stated could be my favorites. :)

Also, thanks for pasting some episodes I was not aware of.. now I have even more adventures to try!

Ichor said:

Well, I'm guessing that's a top ten list there, so his favorite would be Memento Mori 2. Strange that Eternal wasn't on that list.

Ah yes must be MM2.
Heroes and Heroes2 don't seem to have been mentioned yet.
Yep, Eternal is hauntingly beautiful, a wonderful megawad. HR is missing too....