Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KennyJC

Problem #2 (demos)

50% of demos I download and play go out of synch, I use doom95 for the reason that I cant get sound in the origional doom2 or doom. Zdoom doesnt support 1.9 replays.

So is there another program which is robust in it's demo viewing?

Well it depends in which type of source port n jazz the demo was recorded in. Legacy demos are played with legacy. Zdoom with Zdoom (however 1.23b tends to not like ot play demos :(). Vanilla Doom demos can be watched in Vanilla doom from Dos or Doom95 I believe. Boom Demos by Boom. Prboom with prboom. And so on...

Just check the txt. file (if it comes with one) and it should say which to watch it under, hopefully.

Doom95 generally plays back doom demos, but many doom2 demos will desynch on it, particularly if Lost Souls are involved (I'm talking about demos recorded with the DOS executables.)

You can use prboom to playback all sorts of v1.9 demos. It also works with anything recorded with boom or mbf.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/prboom/

I used to find ye olde doom2.exe used to de synch with demos where revenants had fired their rockets.

KennyJC said:

too many doom ports :(

Only one real Doom.
General rule with source port demos...play them with exactly what they've been recorded with to avoid problems.
ZDoom demos are specific to the version and demo recording in the latest versions 1.23b is 'broke'
Legacy is generally a lot more forgiving but not 100%, you can usually play 1.32b2,3,4,5 with the latest v1.40
Boom/PRBoom will play 90+% of vanilla demos so it'a good bet.
Be sure you have the correct exe when playing vanilla demos. Sometimes it pays to read the txt files very closely or if you're watching Compet-N stuff study the rules of recording on the site.
Good luck.:)

The only REAL game or Boom demos that PrBoom2.2.3 cannot playback are extremely special demos.
in short, YOU will never see one of those.
Doom95 is based on doom1.666 -- therefore the logic is different than 1.9 demos.
any random number generated effect in the demo playback will make it fall out of sync: revenent fireballs, archvile attack, lost soul movement, etc...

No, doom95 uses the same code as the doom.exe that was distributed with The Ultimate DOOM, that's why Maikl's demos generally synch with doom, doom95 and prboom. There's three DOS executables, the difference for Final DOOM is the teleport bug, and for DOOM II (the same EXE that's in the doom19s shareware and in DOOM v1.9 pre-ultimate) the Lost Souls act differently because they don't bounce against the floor.

Yeah, guy-dude, Just use something like Prboom, it works güd.

Bum_Head said:

ahyuk

P.S. i hate this 60 second rule thing, its like totally a bummer </ellen feiss>

/me Looks at forums...

...Well, looks like we have someone who wants to join the spammer faction.

Bum_Head said:

HI I LIKE THIS SPAM YOU SPEAK OF

Whatever Dude, if you're gunna spam make it worth our time, take time in spamming, like I do, Think before you spam, make it spam-0-rific, not craptastic. U discust me by insulting us spammers, Shame on you!

Now...back on topic...

Opulent said:

The only REAL game or Boom demos that PrBoom2.2.3 cannot playback are extremely special demos.
in short, YOU will never see one of those.

Oddly enough there was a demo in the last compet-n update that desynced in PRBoom. It was on E4M1. Instead of telefragging a sergeant the player got stuck inside it.

I can't for the life of me imagine why. Perhaps it's related to the well-known problems with Final Doom teleporters, but this is Ultimate Doom, so..? A cursory glance at the code revealed nothing (does it ever? :) )

_df mentioned that bug to cph, which I believe has already been fixed for the next release...

The episode 4 UV movie will do the same thing, sorry about that. :)

RjY said:

I can't for the life of me imagine why. Perhaps it's related to the well-known problems with Final Doom teleporters, but this is Ultimate Doom, so..? A cursory glance at the code revealed nothing (does it ever? :) )

Prboom is uses boom/mbf code, which is a bit different than the source release (1.9) code in many areas, so workarounds have to be made to playback original demos properly. It's just some difference that hadn't been caught yet, I bet.

Usually, when a website offering demo lump files says the demos are for (i.e.) DooM II v1.9, the demo was recorded in Vanilla DooM. I'd like to ask everyone who uploads demo lmps, to include a TXT file which describes port, length, amount of players and, if not recorded, wether or not chatting has been used (legacy for example also records chat, vanilla doom does not)... That way people can watch demos much faster and easier.

--ADDED

I see ZDAEMON 1.02 supports demorecording! Neat...o