Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

The /newstuff Chronicles #105

If I use nothing but Lost Souls, maybe I could fit several thousand enemies in the level!! ^_^

Nanami said:

If I use nothing but Lost Souls, maybe I could fit several thousand enemies in the level!! ^_^

Except they don't figure in the monster count.

That doesn't matter, so long as I can fit an amazing number of enemies in the level.

Maybe I can use DeHacked to make Cyberdemons 1 unit wide.

Just be very sensible and put enough tough monsters in the right places (of which there are many).

Nanami said:

Maybe I'll make a Grind2 revisited, with more monsters to destroy. I wonder how many monsters I could pack into this thing? =) Let's see if I can break the monsters per square foot record!

Hmm...you'll have a tough job beating Io Anomaly and the Blind Alley maps....

Nanami said:

Sounds a bit Nuts to me.;)

Ultimate DooMer said:

Hmm...you'll have a tough job beating Io Anomaly and the Blind Alley maps....

UD there are a lot of monsters in the Blind Alley maps but they are not hard on UV for an experienced player, and that is who they were made for. I'm glad you remember them. There are skill levels for that reason.

There is some nice real estate in the current map.

I know a couple of grand dads who can easily do the maps. The LMPs that are enclosed with the maps show how easy they really are. Many of the monsters are lesser types not the big boys.

In fact, the Blind Alley maps can be played conservatively and beaten by the average player too, even on UV. There are a lot of places to hide and snipe the monsters.

Rich Sham just posted an incredible legacy lmp of the current map, and all the others, at the speed demo archives. Very worth while!!

BTW the next installment of the series is almost ready. ;)

magikal said:

Sounds a bit Nuts to me.;)

I agree:
Since lost souls don't add to the body count all you would have to do is make it to the exit.

Magikal, perhaps you should see if Nanami wants to try the 600+ monsters in Cata.wad, or industrial.wad before building one with thousands of monsters.

Epyo said:

As usual, Gothic Dreams was actually relesed months ago.(I LOVE GRAMMAR!)

Yeah...But looks damn good just as it was months ago

WTF?! I thought I did a good job on my map07, and it gets a completely shit review?! WTF?

DooMBoy said:

WTF?! I thought I did a good job on my map07, and it gets a completely shit review?! WTF?

You made the mistake of releasing it in a week when Hyena reviewed it. A true n00b error. Better luck next time. ;)

Of course, if he had wanted to give more reasoned criticism, he could have mentioned the fact that it is possible to exit the map without killing anything (I've just done it in 6 seconds).

Archvile46 said:

Ralphis did the chiptunes a while ago for use in an ultra top secret UD project. Not to say Bloodshedder's a ripoff or anything, since he probably didn't know anything about it, but it's weird.

I was aware of this project (things get around IRC pretty quickly, but I heard Ralphis himself speak of it) and I didn't know if it would have new music or not. Wasn't trying to steal anybody's idea, and I wouldn't really mind if he released it with redone music in the same style as mine.

Grazza said:

You made the mistake of releasing it in a week when Hyena reviewed it. A true n00b error. Better luck next time. ;)

Hmm, maybe I should have delayed the update of my megawad by a week so he wouldn't have got the chance to rip it apart. (but then again I wasn't expecting a review of it 'cos it was an update)

Oh well, I won't make that mistake with my current wad....

UAC3.wad had exactly 875 monsters for multiplayer UV mode. =P 500 for non-multiplayer.

I'm not going to really go for any records with the new Grind2 with more monsters. I'm going to add a couple little things to it, but mostly I'll just add a whole bunch of badguys. Won't be a hundred Cyberdemons or anything, it'll just be a whole bunch of baddies...

I probably won't upload it to /newstuff, I'll just post a thread in the Mods and Wads section or somethin'. =)

Okay, I added a bunch of monsters to Grind2 (Wads and Mods section).

I'm getting close to being done with Dream.wad so if anyone out there wants to test it for me, feel free to e-mail me. =)

Grazza said:

You made the mistake of releasing it in a week when Hyena reviewed it.

he was lucky i didn't get to review it. he wanted me to check out his E1M7 and E1M8 levels, so i downloaded them, and 15 minutes later, he was complaining about how i said that e1m7 was too claustrophobic.

Nanami said:

I probably won't upload it to /newstuff, I'll just post a thread in the Mods and Wads section or somethin'. =)

Why not? The point is that it goes to the idgames Archive and stays there for anyone to play it anytime.

Well, for now it's in test mode, so I certainly can't upload it yet.

I may upload it later when it's done...

/me works on spreading out the health.

fragport: a VERY old wad, I remember I've played some of it before... I think grind2's health balance is ok. There weren't any situations where I'd have a high chance of taking any damage so those 2 stimpacks were just enough to get by. I'd have to say I don't see grind2 having any major problems. Maybe some misplaced etxtures/lighting, but I like the gameplay just because it's unique and still very playable. Wads shying away from lots of monsters and items are rare nowadays.. I remember Malcolm Sailor's wads...

Ultimate DooMer said:

(but then again I wasn't expecting a review of it 'cos it was an update)

BTW, what has changed in this update of Fragport? Your text file says "I've fixed a couple of bugs in response to feedback, tweaked one or two other things, and updated the game text setup". It sounds like it's all fairly minor, and not a reason in itself to replay the wad. Does it include things like removing the possible need for an AV-jump in map07?

Virgil said:

I think grind2's health balance is ok. There weren't any situations where I'd have a high chance of taking any damage so those 2 stimpacks were just enough to get by. I'd have to say I don't see grind2 having any major problems. Maybe some misplaced etxtures/lighting, but I like the gameplay just because it's unique and still very playable. Wads shying away from lots of monsters and items are rare nowadays.. I remember Malcolm Sailor's wads...

I liked the idea of having few monsters, but several people that played it seemed to think it needed more baddies (Hence the Grind2X). The next level, Dream.wad, will have more badguys. Not hundreds or anything, but a good number more. I'm going to test it when I get home and then start a thread to find beta testers like I did for Grind2.wad earlier. Right now I think the item/monster placement is good, especially for a follow-up to Grind2. There's a little extra ammo, but I think for anyone playing it the first time, it'll be nice to have some extra ammo...

Grazza said:

BTW, what has changed in this update of Fragport? Your text file says "I've fixed a couple of bugs in response to feedback, tweaked one or two other things, and updated the game text setup". It sounds like it's all fairly minor, and not a reason in itself to replay the wad. Does it include things like removing the possible need for an AV-jump in map07?

Yes, I did fix that. (and the map 17 bug as well)

I didn't really ask for a review, but Hyena believes that all updates should be reviewed as well as the other wads that pass through newstuff.

Cool avatar, btw.

Virgil: It's not that old (compared to megawads like MM, HR, AV etc.), as it's a couple of weeks short of being a year old.

Ultimate DooMer said:

Virgil: It's not that old (compared to megawads like MM, HR, AV etc.), as it's a couple of weeks short of being a year old.

Heh...? AV is a year old too.

P, Q, What's the difference?
One hell of a lot in my mind. Blind Alley Q is a fair bit nicer map than BAP. And BAQ is more fun. I sure hope someone fixes that link.