Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

The /newstuff Chronicles #105

I don't see why I'm making so many enemies over this.

Tell me, what part of my review of DooMBoy's map isn't true (besides the first few sentences which are sort of a joke)

To me it just looks like he took map07, added a little bit of detail and then threw in a bunch of pointless zdoom features and called it his own.

Heh, Hyena is my favorite /newstuff reviewer. He gets a little critical at times but he usually gives good reasons for being critical.

Hyena said:

Tell me, what part of my review of DooMBoy's map isn't true (besides the first few sentences which are sort of a joke)

To me it just looks like he took map07, added a little bit of detail and then threw in a bunch of pointless zdoom features and called it his own.

No, actually I redid map07 to look more like a starbase, I added the thunder for atmosphere, and the ZDoom stuff is just something I like to add in my levels.
Your review was basically OMG THIS LEVEL SUCKS IT AND YOU SHOULDN'T TRY IT CAUSE IT USES ZDOOM FEATURES POINTLESSLY.
That, IMO, was not right. It wasn't much of a review, and I think IMO that my version of Dead Simple was much better than the original.

Hyena said:

heh. i feel like i'm making more.

I did not say "This level sucks because of zdoom features", but any reviewer who wants to actually do his job properly is going to notice that the switches are bright blue for no reason whatsoever and it's something to comment on.

Generally, what I do when I play a level to review, is look for both the good parts and the bad parts. Every great wad has a small flaw, and every terrible wad has some redeeming values.
If a feature is sort of good, I'll explain why. If it's sort of bad, I'll explain why.
And then to make it more entertaining to read, when it's really good I gush and start talking about dorky things like Commodore 64. And when it's really bad (or sometimes not so bad but just easy to poke fun at) I make fun of it. Not trying to offend anyone, I just want to make it more interesting to read them.

Unfortunately, this week I wasn't as witty as I was slightly rushed and didn't come up with funny run-on sentences.

I made those switches blue for a reason; IMO they are more noticeable that way.

mustafa saed said:

Yeah...But looks damn good just as it was months ago

Uh, what? Did you look at the same levels I did? If this is considered good, this community's standards have hit a new low. Cramped hallways. No interesting geometry or details. Same old tedious gothictx.wad texture scheme.

There's nothing lamer than an author arguing with the reviewers... I mean, I can imagine a fan saying "no dude, Jack's map is 1337, you can't see it..." and giving his opinion but "uh, no, my map rocks, your review is wrong" is just dumb.

Calling it "ego" sounds somewhat redeeming. You miss my point entirely.

Afterglow said:

Uh, what? Did you look at the same levels I did? If this is considered good, this community's standards have hit a new low. Cramped hallways. No interesting geometry or details. Same old tedious gothictx.wad texture scheme.

I respect your opinion afterglow....but I disagree with you on that.
The detail in my opinion is up there with slaughter deathmatch and sacrifice deathmatch.No interesting geometry? What about the castle map surrounded by water with the sounds of rushing water by the shores?Also,aren't you the one who reviewed it back then saying "Each map is artistically created" Lastly,what is your ideal doom map that represents the name detail?

AWWWWWW shit! MY bad afterglow. I keep getting you mixed up with andrewb.He is the one who said gothic dreams was artistically created.Also I like your sacrifice dm.

roflmao. just played that map07 replacement. that guy must have been joking when he uploaded it.

Christ, if you make a bad wad, make another!

EDIT: Er...Make another wad, not a...um...bad wad...

myk said:

Calling it "ego" sounds somewhat redeeming. You miss my point entirely.

No, I got your point. It still doesn't go any further than people thinking what they do is the best - ego. And ego definitely isn't a redeeming quality in my book. But whatever, I don't want to start an argument over something so dumb :P