Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deathz0r

The /newstuff Chronicles #106

Why do I have the sudden feeling that people are trying to avoid me? It seems like to me that hardly anyone has the guts to put up with my overdose of harshness anymore. You see folks, if you're never harsh on reviewing a map by a newbie mapper, chances are that the author would probably make more ugly maps that look like something that came from Slige, and you all know what the potentional of that (in terms of ugliness) is. Anyway, I have to rip and tear two skins, two SP levels and two DM levels. Only problem is that only one of the wads containing levels is gonna stay. Which one will it be? Find out now!

• Bomberman Skin by Mark "JACKASS" Dravich - Ripped directly from one of the NES Bomberman games, it's actually an amusing and good skin to use. However, it would of been better if he changed his clothes to green, so you could stand out a bit more. Another thing is that Mark could of resized it. Other than that, I love it. It gives out a nostaligic feel. Legacy or ZDoom required.
  • Grind2X by Kara C. Rader - (img) (img) (img) - All this hype, for what? I am disappointed in Kara, who said at the forums that Grind2 would be a map worth keeping an eye on. The amount of monsters is yet again an overload, and some of the monster placement doesn't make sense in the slightest. Who would put demons on tables, where they can't attack you? I definitely wouldn't. I'm not sure if any of you have noticed it, but she seems to have a fetish with toilets. They serve absolutely no purpose, except for a backpack which is in the womens toilet. The detailing is once again disgusting and some cheapass job. I couldn't detect an actual theme, as it was so varied. Also, she says in the text file that she couldn't get it working in doom2.exe. Chances are that she doesn't use an external node builder. If I recall correctly, DeePSea's node building is very dodgy, as it seems to make a lot of maps VPO in doom2.exe. Enhanced port required.
  • KIMDM1.1 by Kim Vidal - (img) (img) - Jesus christ, this is one ugly piece of garbage. Here's a hint to newbie mappers: If you're gonna use custom textures, please try to not to overuse them, as most of them don't really give a good enviroment to play in. Based on some Quake 3 Arena map, the important element of fun seems to be completely missing in this level. Half of the level is set to 0 light level, meaning that you can't see most of the walls. It also features a lot of hard to notice teleporters, which are only helpful because you wouldn't be able to move that much if you were on the lower area. There are no signs of stairs anywhere, which are essential in DM maps. The music replacement is from one of my all-time favourite games, Turrican. The level puts the musical talents of Chris Hülsbeck to shame. The only good part is one of the custom textures, which uhh... contains a bit of... how would you say it... Adult-rated. Enhanced port required.
  • KIMDM2 by Kim Vidal - (img) (img) - Like KIMDM1.1, the detailing is horrendous. Also like KIMDM1.1, the gameplay is pitiful. KIMDM2 uses the same music replacement that is in KIMDM1.1, and it really doesn't suit the level. And the most important thing about it is that it's symmetrical, like KIMDM1.1. In other words, don't bother touching it. Enhanced port required.
  • Megaman Skin by Mark "JACKASS" Dravich - Ripped from the NES Megaman games. Like the Bomberman skin, it's a very nice skin to battle with. This time around, Mark actually made sure that you can change the colour of Megaman. Again though, the sprite is smaller than average. As I said above, it would of been better if he resized it. Legacy or ZDoom required.
  • Zort 8 by Mike "Cyb" Watson - (img) (img) (img) (img) - Holy cow, Cyb is my new ACS idol. Honestly, his ACS scripting is amazing, and once again, he has given us a chance to play yet another level which features awesome gameplay and brilliant ACS scripting. I have no idea what the story is about, but I think it has something to do with crickets, stoner imps and wannabe gothic hellspawn. Still, detailing is simple, but lovely. The gameplay is top-notch, and his use of cameras and scripted marines are also something to really notice. However, the most noticable thing that is with this level is the unique colours of the hellspawn. Originally, I thought they were sprite replacements, but I couldn't resist to have a look at the ACS script, and I was stunned by how to actually achieve it. It's appears to be really complex, so he has proven that he did dedicate some time into making it better than all the other wads of this week. After playing this, I feel like that I need to go play the rest of the Zort series. ZDoom 1.23 b33 required.

Grind2x is good! And the demon on the table is a perfect shield from the horrible, horrible arachnotron snipers. Whheeee!

At least for today, unless you have ZDoom 2.0, that version of Zort 8 won't work in 1.23 b33 because of a texture error. You'll need to grab this one: http://doom.vect.org:8080/sp/zort08.zip until the fixed copy gets put into /newstuff. If you have 2.0 then the one in /newstuff will suffice and you won't hurt my server either heh.

- Cyb

It's a shame deathz0r didn't read my text file and see that Grind2X is in fact the lots-of-extra-monsters version that lots of people requested. The amount of monsters is quite managable. In fact, this remains a level I can beat any time I play it without having to save. And the same goes for the several other people who tested it and approved of the monster/item placement...

Oh, and the reason it doesn't run in Doom2.exe is because of the multiple patches on the switches for the double-door near the cave, which I'm perfectly happy with because there are VPO errors even if it did run in Doom2.exe

Remember, if you want to do /newstuff reviews you can just email me a sample review and I'll add you to the list.

Linguica said:

Remember, if you want to do /newstuff reviews you can just email me a sample review and I'll add you to the list.

that expressed my disappointment with the reviews better than I could.
Personally, I disagree with the Grind2x review. I had a lot of fun playing it... and it sure ain't ugly. The wad is missing a theme, but it does have a story.
Please review the maps from both a positive and a negative point of view. I know that the primary purpose of the /newstuff reviews is to screen out the good stuff for us, but remember that even the best releases can be ripped to shreds in a review.

Nanami said:

It's a shame deathz0r didn't read my text file and see that Grind2X is in fact the lots-of-extra-monsters version that lots of people requested.

I did read it.

The amount of monsters is quite managable. In fact, this remains a level I can beat any time I play it without having to save.

how the hell can you beat a cyb with only a SSG and a little amount of ammo?

Oh, and the reason it doesn't run in Doom2.exe is because of the multiple patches on the switches for the double-door near the cave, which I'm perfectly happy with because there are VPO errors even if it did run in Doom2.exe

have you tried Zennode? that seems to remove VPOs really good.

I beat the map in less than 5 tries in under 10 minutes. It is not a hard map.
btw, I never had doom2 crash on it either.
I do appreciate your reviews, but just find something nice to say as well... there are lots of reasons different people download maps.

sargebaldy said:

you use codes to review deathzy? tsk-tsk

no, i only use them to take screenshots.

Opulent said:

I do appreciate your reviews, but just find something nice to say as well... there are lots of reasons different people download maps.

I usually do whenever there's something good about it. If she replaced the cyb with two or three barons, I wouldn't of complained that much.

http://xfury.net/doom/demos/Nanami-01-1126.zip

^ Watch that, deathz0r. Legacy 1.40a

And if you did read the text file, why did you comment that it's overrun with monsters? Of course it is, people requested it be that way. The only reason I made it that way is because I had about five people say I should pack it with monsters.

That demo is of the first time I ever played it (without god mode). After stripping everything but the player starts from the original Grind2, I added everything else, and then test/recorded that demo.

Although I DID make it, so knew what to expect, I wasn't quite sure how each area would effect my ammo/health, which is why it's a bit of a sloppy run. I almost died twice. Now, though, it's fairly easy to finish.

As for killing the Cyberdemon... there's a Plasma Rifle and a Rocket Launcher, with plenty of ammo for the Rocket Launcher. And don't forget all the Arachnotrons outside that you can make attack him. Or the pack of Revenants if you're feeling frisky. Or you could always avoid him like I do for half the demo. He's no more threat than the rest of the baddies, if you ask me.

Firstoff, I also played the original Grind2: A very nice-looking map with some unique structures; a bit ammo-starved (I wound up telefragging some critters that could have been left to starve, but I'm a 100% kills freak); interesting gameplay, with a good progression of puzzles and events; overall a quite satisfying map. I wouldn't put a cybe in an alternate population (that just feels wrong for the environment), but it would be fun if filled up with more shooters, imps, and revenants.

Second, our recent crop of reviewers seem to have mistaken "reviews" for "putdowns". You don't help novice authors improve by telling them how bad they suck. You help them improve by pointing out where they got something right, and how poorer parts of the map can be MADE to be right. And as one who has played THOUSANDS of maps, including tons of novice creations -- it's a rare map that doesn't have SOME merit.

I've been meaning to create my own reviews site for a long time, but haven't due to lack of time and energy... but the last few weeks worth of reviews here are about to goad me into it, simply because they're so poorly done -- in fact, probably the worst-done crop of reviews I've EVER seen ANYWHERE. Grow up, children. Reviews aren't a forum for displaying your own cleverness at flaming someone else.

Rez said:

Second, our recent crop of reviewers seem to have mistaken "reviews" for "putdowns". You don't help novice authors improve by telling them how bad they suck. You help them improve by pointing out where they got something right, and how poorer parts of the map can be MADE to be right. And as one who has played THOUSANDS of maps, including tons of novice creations -- it's a rare map that doesn't have SOME merit.

I've been meaning to create my own reviews site for a long time, but haven't due to lack of time and energy... but the last few weeks worth of reviews here are about to goad me into it, simply because they're so poorly done -- in fact, probably the worst-done crop of reviews I've EVER seen ANYWHERE. Grow up, children. Reviews aren't a forum for displaying your own cleverness at flaming someone else.

/me bows to Rez.

Thank you, thank you. That's exactly how I'm sure the rest of us feel. I know I do, at least.

I wish I could do reviews, but I lack the experience, and I'm always busy with making my own levels. Plus, I'm not a very good player, so the harder levels would end up killing me repeatedly. I also have a 56K so nyeh. =P

I do feel that a lot of the recent reviews have been "they all suck, the end," reviews, but Ultimate Doomer is a good reviewer, if you ask me. I actually submitted Grind2X thinking that he would be the one to look at it. Had I known it was deathz0r, I NEVER would have uploaded it. Perhaps if it was deathmatch or packed with ZDoom features, I would have gotten a better review from him. I try to deal with vanilla levels, and there's only so much a person can do with vanilla.

actually, i love vanilla levels, but the text file stated that it didn't work in vanilla doom.

Nanami said:

Or you could always avoid him like I do for half the demo. He's no more threat than the rest of the baddies, if you ask me.

getting around him is kinda hard with such little amount of space.

I like how now people are talking about when they will upload levels is dependent upon which reviewer would be reviewing it that week. My domination of the Doom community is complete!!!!!!!11111

I want Deathzor to be honest... so I am not completely disatisfied with his review style.
and Ling, your domination is not complete... unless that picture is you in Kim's wad. =P

Rez! Eloquently put. It's been an on-going situation at DW for some time now and it's been said many times before, you're spot on with your comments. Some people seem to think that their standpoint/motives are invisible when in reality they're as transparent as air. Oh, once again the screenshots are garbage.

magikal said:

Oh, once again the screenshots are garbage.

that's great, now tell me which ones suck.

deathz0r said:

However, the most noticable thing that is with this level is the unique colours of the hellspawn. Originally, I thought they were sprite replacements, but I couldn't resist to have a look at the ACS script, and I was stunned by how to actually achieve it. It's appears to be really complex, so he has proven that he did dedicate some time into making it better than all the other wads of this week.

It's called the translation feature (it replaces one range of colours with another on all things with the chosen tag) and it is pretty complex, but extremely powerful when you get used to it. (I've used it in my current wad to create a new 'monster' of sorts)

Rez: You're spot-on with your comments about the "put-downs", but I must say that I don't review like that - I try to review wads fairly and properly, picking out all the good and bad points about a wad, being careful to avoid flaming unneccesarily (I understand the time and effort it takes to build wads, and I also know what it's like to see them flamed for all the wrong reasons). The only time I ever make fun of maps is when silly wads appear (ie. joke wads that are intentionally ugly and bad), in which case a spot of humour is appropriate.

But I must also say that, as part of the newstuff team, I know how much time and effort goes into reviewing, and I certainly don't want to discourage Hyena and deathz0r from reviewing. (after all, like me, they wanted to do the newstuff reviews, so I see no reason to discourage them, regardless of their reviewing styles)

Now off to play Grind2X (which does NOT suck, having played Grind2), and Zort 8 (/me rubs hands in anticipation...)

heh Zort8 rawks. Wih Raised Fist screaming in the speakers I got the perfect mix to pump my andrenaline to the aquired level..

I got so pumped that I figured I'd Tyson a caco w/o evading his shots.. Bad idea.

Zdoom pukes with an R-init textures error when I try to run Zort8

Yes I do have zdoom v 1.23

It seems to be missing a patch called SHROOM

tsk tsk... Little Attention?

Little Faith said:

Zdoom pukes with an R-init textures error when I try to run Zort8

Yes I do have zdoom v 1.23

Cyb said:

At least for today, unless you have ZDoom 2.0, that version of Zort 8 won't work in 1.23 b33 because of a texture error. You'll need to grab this one: http://doom.vect.org:8080/sp/zort08.zip until the fixed copy gets put into /newstuff. If you have 2.0 then the one in /newstuff will suffice and you won't hurt my server either heh.

deathz0r said:

that's great, now tell me which ones suck.

Okay, specifically the ones of Zort 8 which tell me nothing at all about the architecture of the map. Yes the colored imps are nice but I only need to see them once to know that. The first two of Grind2x again tell me almost nothing about the map and have almost zero content, the third one is good.
Strangely enough the ones of the map you like least (Kim's) are the best, they give me a very good idea of what the map's about, good angles and content.
Why take pics with the status bar? We've all seen it before and know exactly what it looks like.