Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Doom Turns Nine

UAC PR Dept said:

I find that I prefer the company of people my age, not grunge-goth dorks in college or basements like the ones here, the creepy jerk people born in the early 80s and late 70s who run the Doom Community like a totalitarian government that bends over backwards to kiss their asses. You all know who you are. Doom to you is just a prize, while to me it is illumination.

Mid 70s, thanks, and you have the right to play doom in you kindergarten no prob with me. :P

You will find that relative newcomers have gotten quite a bit to say due to their merits. Just look at Fredrik.

(I'm from 81 so I'll probably fit into your elitist cadre, though I have absolutely no power in the Doom community).

You were born when Doomworld started!? I think Little Faith was talking about age, note the "81" in relation to The Reverend Julian's post.

YES Scrag, the Half-life demo was my first taste of HL as well. Every little detail sucked me in- breaking crates, the vending machine exploding then falling over when I hit it, the night sky, the guns, the soldiers! Cutting through the door! And getting pulled into barnicles! And there were scientists and security gaurds! And they talked to me! Stuff was exploding and collapsing everywhere! Indescribable feelings. I was in that world, and I was scared and fascinated. Those soldiers... They threw grenades! They reloaded! They hid and chased me! The best part of the whole demo is when you peak through a crack in the wall and something huge and hideous stomped by on the other side. "Oh shit, i'm going to have to fight that." Darkness.

Sorry, it was just such a cool game, I played through that demo again and again, it was such a cool feeling.

myk said:

You were born when Doomworld started!? I think Little Faith was talking about age, note the "81" in relation to The Reverend Julian's post.

You're right, my mistake.

Ct_red_pants said:

Eh? What the fuge? If buy that you mean it was based on the quake 2 engine then yes.

And if by that you mean it was based on a heavilly modified quake 1 engine, then yes.

Heehee, sorry, had to be a prick.

Here in Argentina, things are pretty different than what has been lived in the us (where doom was created). Not everybody has the posibility of a good PC, let out a PC at all... in 1997, with a lot of hard work during the summer, I could afford to buy me my first "own" PC. An "already-old" 486DX4-100mhz I could run doom like a lightning in that piece-of-iron! and I did! I remember one night, I was with a friend (a very good video-game-fan) that hadn´t the chance, or the luck to have a pc at home, we were playing doom in a hot-seat-based-game. One level each. I got to play E1M3. Remember that part where you cross the bridge thru the lava-pool at the start? When the ceiling went up, and revealed a whole new passage, it really scared the hell out of the two of us, and when I went thru the passage (I was carrying the chaingun), and out-of-a-sudden the picture filled with monsters, really pissed, willing to make nothing out of me in just a blast. I had to fire my life thru those bastards, so...I´d like to hear storyies like this from you, guys!
PoLTxu.
GKB-Team, fraggin from the south.

Doom. My first go was in 1994, back in the day amongst Mercedes 190E's, Lovejoy, Nirvana, and all that Doomy cutting-edge goodness.

What a great time it was.

Indeed, happy b-day Doom...Your present will be a very late new rendition of Lock and Load, which will be finished when I damned well feel like it.

Jello said:

And if by that you mean it was based on a heavilly modified quake 1 engine, then yes.

You sure about that? 3D Action Planet's Action Gaming Test on game engines says otherwise.

Happy Birthday Doom Game!
My first play was in 1995 when I got home PC. OMFG, it was like... pants full of shit! I played in a dark room with PC speaker horribly sounds and constant fear to die by the fireball. It was second shock when I got Sound Blaster. It was last and the biggest shock when I learned how to make your own maps... It lasts until now.

ahh, doom... i remember when i was watching my brother play it back in 1994, and when i saw the Arms part in the status bar. i thought that it was how many biological arms that the player had.

Jello said:

There may be a few pieces of scattered code taken from Quake II for a few minor effects but the most part of the rendering code came from Quake III (the pixel-fluffing in HL is more like Quake3's). Quake 1 and Quake 2 had no decals, so obviously the decal fading mesh came from Quake 3, and HL's water code came from Quake 1 (Quake 2's water doesn't look the same).