Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phil1984

Texturing advice

This is going to be hard to explain, but I'll give it a shot.....

I'm creating a level and I would like some help with choosing the textures I want to go with the level. I want the level to mainly use the GSTONE1 texture however having that single texture on every single wall is going to get broing pretty quickly and I can't find any other textures that will go well with this one. What other textures (except for the obvious GSTONE2, SP_DUDE2 etc) go well with GSTONE1?

Hope I explained it well enough, any help would be greatly appreciated

All the MARB textures, maybe some of the SKIN textures, SUPPORT3 to subdivide them. Maybe also the WOOD textures. Just play around a bit with them and especially try out different combinations.

Fredrik said:

Avoid STAR* by all means or you'll burn in hell.

Haha, yeah.

Oh, and don't use all flats availabe in Doom :)

Ain't nothing wrong with the STARTAN textures if you use them right. 'Course they don't work with marble and gstone textures.

I would try to inject a little color variety into the level by carefully using some other textures in addition to the ones already mentioned. Textures: SP_HOT1, ROCKRED series, BFall series, FIREBLU, FIRELAV, FIREMAG, FIRWAL, LITEBLU4. Flats: LAVA series, BLOOD series, FLOOR4_8, FLOOR5_2 + 3, FLOOR6_1, FWATER series, RROCK1 + 2, TLITE6_5 etc...

Also, imo the BRONZE series of textures works better with GSTONE and MARBLE textures than WOOD*

There are of couse a lot of different scenery items you can place to break up the monotony. Different colored torches, gas lamps, eyes, and various bits of gore.

boris said:

Yeah, but I guess Fredrik commented on some wad that has bad use of STARTAN.

LOL, it wasn't that bad a texturing job was it!?! But thanks for the advice guys, especially the SUPPORT3, I can see I'm going to be using that one quite a bit....

EDIT: How well does the BROWNHUG texture go with GSTONE1? And yes I am a completey suck at this

Phil1984 said:

LOL, it wasn't that bad a texturing job was it!?!

Yes it was. It was like "hey I'm new to Doom editing I want to try out all textures". I had quite some fun playing the map though, but the aweful texturing destroyed a lot of the atmosphere.

boris said:

Yes it was. It was like "hey I'm new to Doom editing I want to try out all textures". I had quite some fun playing the map though, but the aweful texturing destroyed a lot of the atmosphere.

No... My first level was a total newbie map. My latest one just shows how much I suck at texturing ;). Besides, I didn't use that many textures did I? The only texture that was really out of place IMO was the wooden building and I included an explanation for that (and a rather poor one I admit) in the story. Anyway, glad to hear you had some fun playing the level and hopefully my next attempt will be much better in terms of texture selection.....

Heh. My latest map (the one I'm working on for the Newdoom community megawad) breaks every goddamn rule regarding texturing and maintaining a theme ever concieved. It's a Mt. Erebus style map and oh sweet Jesus is it ever a retina burning color extravaganza!

:)

boris said:

Yeah, but I guess Fredrik commented on some wad that has bad use of STARTAN.

Much of the STARTAN in that level is legitimate, in fact some of the best I've seen. I'm talking about the all-tech rooms with lots of SUPPORT2.

Now, BAD use of STAR* textures, is where they appear randomly in, say, an Episode 4-themed level.

METAL, GSTONE2, GSTVINE, GSTSATYR, GSTLION, MARBLE, MARBLE2, MARBLE3, MARBFACE, MARBFACE2, MARBFACE3, etc. are all good for gothic style levels.