Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
elbryan42

editing webpages remotely? (doom ftp)

Since I'm spending a lot of extra time at school, I'm planning on working on my Doom webpage a lot at school. Problem is, the files are at home. What I was wondering is can I log in, view, and edit the files from school? Everytime I open the source, edit, and save, it saves the copy in Temporary Internet Files. I really would like to edit it straight from the source. Does anyone know how to do this or if it's possible?

I could just upload the files after I edit them, but if there's an easier way, editing the page at school will be a bit less annoying.

47 minutes down, 9 hours 13 minutes left...

Since I'm spending a lot of extra time at school, I'm planning on working on my Doom webpage a lot at school. Problem is, the files are at home. What I was wondering is can I log in, view, and edit the files from school? Everytime I open the source, edit, and save, it saves the copy in Temporary Internet Files. I really would like to edit it straight from the source. Does anyone know how to do this or if it's possible?

I could just upload the files after I edit them, but if there's an easier way, editing the page at school will be a bit less annoying.

47 minutes down, 9 hours 13 minutes left...

You can in Linux and Unix machines. You just use ssh (or telnet) to log into your machine and you can run stuff exactly as if you were sitting at the machine. I use this to edit my webpage(s), update FreeDOOM and check my email at university.

You mean you want to open the files off your home PC or just edit them on there? I'd suggest you just copy them from there and work at school, but depending on your computer config, you could use a program called PCAnywhere to do that. What that program basically does it put another machine's desktop onto your monitor, so you could call home (or use TCP/IP if your home unit is on a high-speed line) and operate it's desktop with your keyboard and mouse at school. You can also do file transfers with it.

i currently have an all access account to the html dir. will my username and password work with pc anywhere? or do i have to set it up at home first?

will my username and password work with pc anywhere? or do i have to set it up at home first?

Eh, it's a program so you gotta install it and set up privileges on your home unit first. You log in through that program, using that program. I dunno what this HTML directory privileges is about. You just operate your home PC as if it were the one sitting in your room.

You can edit it direct on the source if you make a normal windows share on the web folder and connect from the remote host by searching for the ip 24.72.20.212 via search computers from the network places.

Better is you just transfer the files via ftp to your school machine, edit them there and then flush them back. That's the normal procedure for every web site out there.

You can set up Microsofts IIS + the Frontpage Server Extensions. You can edit the site now from the remote place.

You can setup Win2k Server and make use of the Terminal Services. That's a real cool thing, you have also full control over you comp if you do it this way.

If you just want to post news or something else, simply set up a MySQl Database, if you like to use Windows stuff, set up IIS + ASP. You can realize it then with an Access DB. If you wnat more power, use ODBC / JDBC and an ORACLE backend server.

I suggest you also to install a network managing tool to monitor all your network service functions from remote.

A centralized antivirus tool which takes care of your fils'n folder should be also state of the art.

You can also handle a lot of things if you write a few .bat files which cumulate the most important system parameters to a txt file wich is viewable trough the web server.

BTW: Have you ever imagined how cool it could be to have a list server running ? Deerfie.com's MDaemon is really great for that. You can also realize a lot of email stuff with it...Automatically register accounts for your ftp / make a registration db for the users...blah, blah

Oh well, I guess I can update it the old fashioned way... I was hoping for a simple solution. I don't wanna install programs or configure a computer at school. I don't always get the same computer. Just whichever one's free that day.

about the remote network management... which program do you recommend? any programs i should stay away from?

about the remote network management... which program do you recommend? any programs i should stay away from?

There is a (free?) light version of HP Open View available...just search the web.

A good (evaluation, but runs forever) anti virus solution is available on nai.com: NetShield

Elvis is right, you can do it through windows file sharing, although its probably rather insecure. Make sure you set up passwords on the shares.

i definitely do not want to windows share. by being on a different computer every day, it would be very unsafe. especially with the idiots around here snooping around.