• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
beezee88

Latest ZDoom Version

What's the latest ZDoom version?
Where can I get it from?
Why are they stored in *.cab archives?
Why can you not get these *.cab files from the actual ZDoom website?
(A post on Doomworld directed me originally, and I forgot to bookmark it)

Thats the site, thanks DooMBoy.

But why did I have to come here to find that out?
Why is there not a link on the ZDoom page?
Why?
Why?
Why?
Why?
Why?
Why?
Why?
Why?
Why?
Why?
Why?

What's the latest ZDoom version?

2.0.36 Meaning Zdoom 2.0 pre release 36

Where can I get it from?

See Doomboy's answer

Why are they stored in *.cab archives?

Randy Heit said:

Why cab? Because LZX compression is better than ZIP, and I'm stuck uploading files with a 56k modem. That's why. The source code archive alone is almost 700k smaller as a cab than as a zip. That's at least three fewer minutes I need to wait uploading it.

Why can you not get these *.cab files from the actual ZDoom website?

Well, that link you were directed to is on the Zdoom website (provided by notgod) but it is an archive containing unofficial pre release/ beta versions. They are not official release versions, whatever that may mean. They get frequent mention on the Zdoom forum, but the last "official" full release is still Zdoom 1.22. Although that is over 3 years old now, and I don't think many people edit specifically for it, or consider it the version of Zdoom most worth having on their HD anymore.

With any luck, there should be an full release soon. Randy has said that it will be called Zdoom 2.1 and that it should be out "in a few days" although I think that was said about 2 weeks ago. That full release will be properly linked on the Zdoom site, and there will be editing docs etc to go with it too.

Enjay, you always amaze me with your wealth of knowledge.
cabs are better than zips, I'll have to remember that.

Another question: Does anyone else who has ZDoom 2.0.36 find that none of their settings are saved on exit? At first I assumed it was my fault (it usually is :), so I reloaded that three year old 'official release', and I found that all the settings were fine for that. It's annoying, when everytime I load up a wad, I have to reconfigure EVERYTHING. Am I alone?

All of my settings are saved on exit, with all versions of zdoom 2.0.

Zdoom 1.22 uses zdoom.cfg to store settings. Quite some time ago, zdoom began to use a zdoom.ini file and that's what your zdoom 2.0 should be writing, in the same directory as zdoom.exe. The current naming convention for the .ini file is zdoom-username.ini if you have a user name which you use to log onto your computer. Otherwise, it should display the name zdoom-default.ini. If there are multiple users on your computer, you will need to save a zdoom-xxx.ini file for each user. Zdoom will save it automatically upon exit, unless there is some sort of error with your setup.

I'd just like to add something to what Biffy said: your problem might even be caused by having a zdoom.cfg, so see what happens if you delete it.

There was even a recent version that saved too many settings. :-)

Don't remember which one, but one of them remembered the -nomonsters and -respawn parameters from game to game too. Aside from that, my settings are also correctly remembered from one game to the next with 2.0.36.

Deleting any old .cfg files, as NiGHTMARE suggests is a good idea. Also, in case you have been running one of the older 2.0 pre releases, look in your program settings directory (in win 98 this is c:\windows\application data). If Zdoom doesn't have a suitable ini in it's own directory, it will still search for an ini in that directory. Do a search of your hard drive for zdoom.ini and zdoom.cfg files and delete them. Then run the newest version. It should set up an ini file in your Zdoom directory named zdoom-username.ini where username is the Name of the currently logged in user (probably just the name you originally typed in when setting up windows if you are on a stand alone machine).

You can also type "whereisini" at the console to get Zdoom to tell you which ini file it is using.

beezee88 said:

Enjay, you always amaze me with your wealth of knowledge.

All it means is I need to get out more. :-)

I give up. I have tried everything that you have all suggested, and thanks for the help, but I guess it's just my computer that is screwed up. Well, as the old saying goes,
<i>"A smash with a hammer won't fix it, but it'll make you fell helluva better..."</i>
<b>Now please excuse me while I relieve my stress.</b>

P.S. how do I turn on html?

Randy Heit said:
Why cab? Because LZX compression is better than ZIP..

On a 17mb PWAD it's 5,445,366 (cab) vs 5,999,982 (zip). Admittedly this has an impact on slower connections. However, once files get past a certain size, dialup users don't exactly watch the clock - at least I never did. It got done when it got done:)

Luckily his cabs extract ok, but for some reason I can't extract other cabs people have made for PWADs. Haven't had time to check on other machines to see what's going on.

IMO, overall, cabs not not be worth doing since they are a bit harder (and different) to extract which is an important consideration in distribution. Compression depends depends on the compressing program, the settings and the file. So not always that different.

I was using PowerArchiver for the comparison test. Other programs will give different mileage.

timmie said:

WinZip does them. When creating an archive, just use the .cab extension.

I tried that and failed with Winzip (8.1), but I've been using PowerArchiver and the same method (ie giving a .cab extention when creating a new file) and it worked fine. And the compression has consistently been better than a zip, but I'm not convinced about the flexibility of the format versus zips.

Epyo said:

nope

I'm not too sure about that. Although he does not post here, I think he's at least reading it.

eg, from Randy's log file:

January 31, 2003
- Removed the limit on the number of frames that can assigned to an
animation sequence with ANIMDEFS.

I don't think that was mentioned on the Zdoom forum, but it was certainly talked about here quite recently. Of course, it could just be a coincidence.

2.0.39 is the first post-1.22 that I consider to work well enough to replace that much earlier version.

My PC has had all sorts of issues with the various 1.23 betas but this 39 is very nice. I've only had one crash and that was heavily scripted wad that may itself have been to blame.

BTW, afaik old zdoom.cfg's have no effect whatsoever on latest zdooms.

pritch said:

BTW, afaik old zdoom.cfg's have no effect whatsoever on latest zdooms.

Yep, the zdoom-user.ini file is where everything is now.

pritch said:

My PC has had all sorts of issues with the various 1.23 betas but this 39 is very nice.

Yeah, my comp also had issues with the 1.23 betas. I was playig LTSD with it and most of the time it would crash while in the middle of the game.

beezee88 said:

Does anyone else who has ZDoom 2.0.36 find that none of their settings are saved on exit? At first I assumed it was my fault (it usually is :), so I reloaded that three year old 'official release', and I found that all the settings were fine for that. It's annoying, when everytime I load up a wad, I have to reconfigure EVERYTHING. Am I alone?

Your not using the ZDoom Launcher are you? Thats what was causing problems for me.

Assmaster said:

Your not using the ZDoom Launcher are you? Thats what was causing problems for me.

Hell no. The launcher sucks, I was only using it to choose IWADS at startup, but ZDoom now has it's own 'Multiple IWAD' menu, so I have no use for a launcher.

The zdoom.ini/cfg file problems happened a long time ago, but I found out how to change my options. Delete the old file, and then completely reset everything. Tedious, but it works, as for some reason it will only save ONCE. It's not write-protected, but it is marked as archived. Would this affect anything?

The archive flag should have no effect. My zdoom-xxx.ini file gets saved every time I start and exit zdoom.