Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nanami

Boom Comptatibility

I'm working on an episode, as some of you know, for "any source port" use, since it has one or two things that blow up in Doom2.exe (medusa effect). While I was at it, I was realizing that some of the major ports all support Boom. My question is... what ports DON'T support Boom? ARE there any? If so, let me know. I want to know if it would be wise to make the wad with Boom features or not.

Torn said:

Jdoom don't support boom... I wonder why...

Isn't the Boomsday (i.e. JDoom with Boom support)?

I don't think Edge supports Boom. At least it didn't the last time I tried it.

ZDoom, ZDoomGL, Skulltag, ZDaemon, MBF, SMMU, PRBoom and Eternity have pretty much 100% support for Boom.

Other ports I'm quite hazy about. AFAIK Legacy supports nearly all Boom features, and EDGE supports only a few.

As far as I'm aware, Vavoom and JDoom are the only ports (that are still updated) which have little or no support for it.

Dang.

If jDoom doesn't support Boom and Legacy doesn't support voodoo dolls, then it might not be a good idea to make my episode Boom compatible. I might just end up annoying all the jDoom/Legacy users. Although why anyone would use anything but ZDoom is beyond me. =P

If they're adamantly using JDoom and Legacy to the exclusion of the Boom-compatible ports, then screw them. :P

I'd say just let yourself be guided by whatever features you'd like to use. If the maps is good people will play it unless, like Arioch said, they plan to stick to a certain engine. But many people don't do that and you can't be speculating all the time about "who might play this if I..." Plus "boom compatible" doesn't mean you have to use vodoo dolls. And anyway, if you like zdoom so much (and voodoo dolls, for that matter) why not just do it for zdoom? Some people may not play it, but I hear quite a few are using zdoom regularly.

The voodoo dolls would be to achieve more interesting effects, like a switch that does 1000000 things via voodoo doll/moving floors.

Anyway, I don't want to make it just ZDoom. I'm already working on a just ZDoom mod (ZooM!) and I uber it up with ZDoom stuff. I don't want Grind to look like that, I want it to still have that classic Doom feel.

Well, boom has features that may be considered somewhat more classic than the newer zdoom features, but they surely aren't in doom (new switches, deep water you can get into, more lighting effects, BEX, winds and ice effects, etc.)

You don't have to use voodoo dolls. In fact, that is very likely going to cause you trouble in ZDoom too. A better solution is to use an imp or an SS guy or something (if kill count matters, either set up a crushing ceiling that kills it when you exit the level or make a BEX patch that removes the monster's monster flag). All you have to do is give the lines an extra bit so that monsters can activate them.

Doing that it'd be smarter if the monsters could teleport out once they did their job in the activation place. Using the BEX would be a bad idea unless you have a monster to spare... though maybe a Lost Soul could do it, then you wouldn't need a patch and the skull could just stay there, even.

But meh, if zdoom can't do voodoo dolls, it fails it. I've heard they work on it. Maybe extra testing would have to be made with both zdoom and a more standard engine (boom or doom) to make sure its OK for both.

Using the BEX would be a bad idea unless you have a monster to spare...

SS guy, of course

But meh, if zdoom can't do voodoo dolls, it fails it.

It can. The problem is that if you change a sector's height or use a teleport for the voodoo, it'll effect the player too.

Fredrik said:

It can. The problem is that if you change a sector's height or use a teleport for the voodoo, it'll effect the player too.

?, I used 3 voodoo dolls with the standard conveyor+teleport system (strobing lights, ceiling fans) for a freedoom map. None affected the players movement etc, how do you get it to screw up?

Were you using zdoom to test or play it? He's talking about zdoom in this case.

Nevermind, crossposting... Afterglow's explains link it and all, even.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using the BEX would be a bad idea unless you have a monster to spare...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can use Pain elemental`s resurrect frames combined with SS and Keen then you will have lots of room and if you done the big demon head of MAP30 then you will have lots more.

Nanami said:

Although why anyone would use anything but ZDoom is beyond me. =P

Yep that's a question that superficially seems to have no answer but you hinted at the reason in a different post..

I want it to still have that classic Doom feel.

If you play a lot of Doom in a repetitive manner, speedrunning and recording lmps etc, you soon start to notice the differences in control, weapons/splash damage and they really become quite large. Whilst ZDoom is a wonderful port in nearly all respects it's 'feel', as you put it, really is quite distant to the original exes. That's not to say it's bad mind you, just different.
Boom/Prboom is certainly close in 'feel' to the originals, Legacy is reasonable but ZDoom is quite distant.(imo)

magikal said:

Yep that's a question that superficially seems to have no answer but you hinted at the reason in a different post..

If you play a lot of Doom in a repetitive manner, speedrunning and recording lmps etc, you soon start to notice the differences in control, weapons/splash damage and they really become quite large. Whilst ZDoom is a wonderful port in nearly all respects it's 'feel', as you put it, really is quite distant to the original exes. That's not to say it's bad mind you, just different.
Boom/Prboom is certainly close in 'feel' to the originals, Legacy is reasonable but ZDoom is quite distant.(imo)

Ant that's exactly why I am using ZDoom only with levels that are specifically built for it. Although it's not bad there is sometimes the feeling you are no longer playing Doom.

NiGHTMARE said:

ZDoom, ZDoomGL, Skulltag, ZDaemon, MBF, SMMU, PRBoom and Eternity have pretty much 100% support for Boom.

I think not. ZDoom and Boom are not 100% compatible. Wanna an example: P:AR. It´s intended for Boom (or MBF) and doesn´t work the same way with ZDoom.