Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Red

Post your demos!

Great stuff Erik! A pleasure to watch.:)
Just got it Rich! Likewise a pleasure to watch!

Rich said:

Thanks Magic!

Disturbed.wad UV Max 11:07 - Room for improvement.

Thanks for playing that one Rich, I haven't really looked at it since I made it. Maybe we'll get it in the pwads section. There's lots of options for a quick time with in-fighting I think. I bet Erik would murder it, heh.
I've just been looking at World map01 again but with Doom2.exe, the monster behavior is so different, now let me see....

Wow. It's great to see some really good players getting involved in this. I wonder what the optimal time is.

I'd better start tightening up the par times I give - they were intended to be what an average Doomer could manage in safety and without too much effort, but they are not looking too relevant as things stand.

Andy Johnsen said:

hia...just dropping by a contribution to your site (if you want it)

ftp://competn.doom2.net:8002/incoming/dang/misc/wd01-157.zip

doom2 exe demo of world.wad map01. Still alot of room for improvement as it was a first exit, but its sort of an annoying map when speeding up.

Hey thanks Andy! I was hoping one day we might have the pleasure of your company.:)
That's purely and simply awesome and as you say there's still room for improvement, the barrels next to the Baron didn't want to go did they?

Grazza said:

Wow. It's great to see some really good players getting involved in this. I wonder what the optimal time is.

I'd better start tightening up the par times I give - they were intended to be what an average Doomer could manage in safety and without too much effort, but they are not looking too relevant as things stand.

Grazza I think your par times are good, and within the scope of the intention of the site. They are good averages.

There are always going to be better players around. It is just astonishing to see Andy run thru that map in under two minutes. WOW!!! What a run!! I would be hard pressed to believe that anyone could cut very much off that time, and still have 100% all.

Searcher said:

Grazza I think your par times are good, and within the scope of the intention of the site. They are good averages.

Agreed, for us mortals they're at least realistic.:)

I've just posted Demo Recording Recommendation #006. Let me know what you think. I have retained the Par Times as something readily achievable, and added "Impressive Times". I haven't speculated as to what Doomgod times might be.

The download link that I gave for the wad doesn't seem to be working right now. Here is an alternative link.

BTW, this is a time of year when I am busier than normal (skiing season :) ), so if anyone else wants to do a few of these DRRs, they are very welcome.

Grazza said:

.....so if anyone else wants to do a few of these DRRs, they are very welcome.

Thanks Grazza I'll take you up on that but I also think we should try an' get some demos up for the ones you've recommended already, the tables are looking a little bare.

Well, there aren't tables as yet for most of the DRR wads. I'll upload all the vaguely presentable demos that I have done on these maps to the main download folder.

Is one a week too often? I thought it made sense, since not all the recommended maps will appeal to everyone. And I think that if a site is to attract regular visitors, it should be updated in a predictable way (i.e. either constantly, daily, weekly or monthly).

I'm busy jumping off mountains in the first half of February, so that would be a good time for someone else to recommend some maps. I already have an idea for next week's (if only I could stop dying in the map in question...).

I am not too fond of long maps as they take massive efforts to come up with a good route for and deaths late in the map can be really annoying. 5 minutes is probably the max run time that I am comfortable with.

I'm with Erik: shorter maps are always more demo-friendly... or recording friendly.
not that any of the choices have been bad at all.
and Grazza, I think a monthly featured map is plenty if chosen correctly... no reason people can't do older choices if they don't like the current one.
that is just my 2c though...

Opulent said:

I'm with Erik: shorter maps are always more demo-friendly... or recording friendly.
not that any of the choices have been bad at all.
and Grazza, I think a monthly featured map is plenty if chosen correctly... no reason people can't do older choices if they don't like the current one.
that is just my 2c though...

Agreed, especially if we can have people like Erik and AJ do stuff occaisonally.:)
Have you had a play of world map01 Opulent, I'll bet you'd do a great job.:) Really enjoyed yours and Erik's Deleted2 lmps btw.

I IDDQD played through it when you did your original review. fun short map. a bit hard, I think OOB.
Anders is the man.
thanks for the kind words about the Del2 demo.

Erik said:

I am not too fond of long maps as they take massive efforts to come up with a good route for and deaths late in the map can be really annoying. 5 minutes is probably the max run time that I am comfortable with.

Well, Equinox Map04 ITYTD Speed should go well under 3 minutes. (I've just done a 3:34 without much effort, and there are clearly major time improvements possible.)

OK, I agree that this map is somewhere around the upper limit in terms of size and time, but I really wanted to recommend something from Equinox because it's so good.

Also, the fact that Alien Vendetta has been added to compet-n seems to suggest that some people enjoy recording demos on very large maps. Personally, I quite like recording on maps (or in categories) where it is a challenge to reach the exit at all - then I feel I have achieved something even if the time is poor.

Weekly vs monthly? Maybe it would make sense to switch to monthly once a decent number of them (10? 12?) have accumulated.

I don't know why I said Magikal was Graham. =/
sorry guys, I was tired. You know what I meant though.

Opulent said:

I don't know why I said Magikal was Graham. =/
sorry guys, I was tired. You know what I meant though.

Hahahaha....erm yep. But we'll only forgive you if you do a recommendation.;)

I like monthly for the demo recordings. While it's weekly, I don't have time to catch up. Right now I'm behind and I need to work on the demosite (;_;) but I've been busy with Mock2 and the Doom Racing project I'm working on. I think if we changed to a monthly schedule, it'd give everyone more time to make demos while waiting for the next one. As-is, I haven't even played half of them.

I'll get around to the page later today hopefully. =P

Okay, sorry I haven't updated in a while, but I added ONE thing today that everyone should enjoy; a 7-player DM demo of MAP01. I'll do the other things later when I'm not so damned busy with everything else.

Anyway, enjoy.

Okay, the World of Deth demos were uploaded to the W part of the PWADs page. Everyone go check it out.

This makes three posts in a row for me, but since it's on different days I hope nobody gets angry at me. o_o

URL is in my sig.

I've just posted Demo Recording Recommendation #7. I wonder if any of the Doomgod-types can get this one under a minute.

I'll soon be going on holiday for two weeks, so this is my last DRR until mid-February (I'll still drop by though, esp. if there are blizzards at Lake Tahoe!). Anyone who would like to do one next week or the week after (or in later weeks, of course) is very welcome to. Feel free to use one of mine as a template if you like.