Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Remade Textures Remaking

[Win]Elchtest has sent us some good news. Every single texture from Doom II has been remade in the Doom II Retexturing Project. These high resolution textures can be grabbed in the form of one 180MB zip file, for usage with jDoom. The next step, as they say, is improving the looks of the remade textures. Also worth mentioning is the fact that the Heretic Retexturing Project has been updated.

Before freetextures.com died it must have vomited all over that site.

Scuba Steve said:

180 MB

Just a tiny bit big, don't you think? ;)

They spiced up the ZZWOLF* textures with stuff from RTCW. That's kinda cool.
But most textures are just resized and filtered, as Jonathan said. Very lame.

Jdoom can do that on it's own.

The fact that almost none of these textures hold any improvement over the old ones make me wonder why they even bothered.

Fredrik said:

Unfortunately, 95% of the textures are so crappy that they're useless.

Compwerd wins. :)

ravage said:

Compwerd wins. :)

Funny thing is, I didn't even submit that texture. Whoever compiled that set must have sniffed it up on his own and inserted it there.

Arno said:

They spiced up the ZZWOLF* textures with stuff from RTCW. That's kinda cool.
But most textures are just resized and filtered, as Jonathan said. Very lame.

agreed, on both counts

Hey, hey, hey. Someone went to a lot of work to do this. If nothing else, at least give them points for effort.

Anyway, I looked at them and while what you say is true, they DO look better. Many of them have what appear to be PS filters applied, and they look pretty nice. I'm certain that a map using these textures would look pretty nice (or could look pretty nice, in any case.)

Yes, Jdoom can filter the textures, but it doesn't increase their resolution. Resolution increase > filtering.

Isn't this is illegal? id allows you to modify a few resources for an add-on for the IWADs, but not all of them (i.e. the whole texture set.)

myk said:

Isn't this is illegal? id allows you to modify a few resources for an add-on for the IWADs, but not all of them (i.e. the whole texture set.)

Technically this is just an addon, you still have to buy the game.

Oh, and Fredrik, kick their asses. :P

It may be an "add-on" but whoever made it did not read the DOOM license. Anyway, this is what was proposed for freedoom as a side project. But that was something that was going to be done with new materials and respecting the original work.

They may as well have joined freedoom istead of doing this.

Many of the brick textures are really cool. The wood textures does the trick for most part as well.

The TEKGREN series 0wnz, as do Freddies cute computer screens.

But yes, it might be (on paper) finished, but the low-res originals were damn well more beautiful than those lame filtered ones.

Wouldn't it have been better to make a program that would resize the original textures from your IWAD, thus giving the same results with a download under 500kb. Texture filtering is a much better way to go about it. I personally don't examine the walls when playing, I like killing the demons with out the harddrive grinding away.

Er, there seems to be a bit of confusion over resizing textures here. A 128 by 128 pixel image only has 128x128 pixels of data in it, it doesn't matter how big you resize it, you're still working from 128x128 pixels of data. So when programs like Paint Shop Pro resize an image, they use all the extra pixels to create smoother transisions between the colours, which makes the image appear somewhat smoother and less pixelated overall.

Hang on though I hear you cry, isn't this exactly what 3d-accelerated games do when they map their textures onto walls anyway? Yes, and thats why putting resized textures in this pack is such a waste of time. There is no magic way to increase the amount of detail in an image by resizing it.

Katarhyne said:

Hey, hey, hey. Someone went to a lot of work to do this. If nothing else, at least give them points for effort.

Anyway, I looked at them and while what you say is true, they DO look better. Many of them have what appear to be PS filters applied, and they look pretty nice. I'm certain that a map using these textures would look pretty nice (or could look pretty nice, in any case.)

Yes, Jdoom can filter the textures, but it doesn't increase their resolution. Resolution increase > filtering.

There are two types of filtering in this argument:

1) "Filtering" performed by Photoshop, ideally in order to make an enlarged low-res image look nicer, otherwise the enlarged version would look exactly the same.

2) "Filtering" performed by JDoom's renderer, in order to blur transitions between pixels so that the texture doesn't look like pixel soup when you approach it.

Photoshop filters are orders of magnitude more advanced than the filtering done by JDoom, this is because JDoom's filtering must be done in real time, once per frame, for each and every texture on the screen. This is a lot of processing, and this sort of filtering was the "killer feature" of the first 3d cards.

Photoshop does not have a microsecond limit for the length of time it can spend processing an image. For this reason, it can perform all sorts of bizarre operations when it attempts to make a low-data image look better on a larger canvas.

Now that that's out of the way, I would say that running a texture through some Photoshop filters does not a new texture make.

Some of the from-scratch textures are pretty good, but the textures that have been run through photoshop (I noticed the icon of sin textures in particular) although improved from their pixellated parents, seem pretty weak.

Someone else mentioned it, but it's true that the textures in this pack which take up megs and megs of space can be created by a 600kb computer program.

Also, releasing modified id property as a high-resolution texture pack is pretty bad form when the goal seems to be to create better textures.

Like, a lot of these textures belong to the "Doom 2 texture filtering project", not the "Doom 2 retexturing project". That's why it is disappointing to see them included.

You could sit on your asses and complain some more..

or, you could remake all these textures on your own or in a group, then again, when other communities have a task to complete, the community rallies behind it and gets the job done, and done well for that matter. A fine example would be the Quake e1m1 retexturing project. Unfortunately, this community has such a pessimistic attitude half the time that there will be plenty of bitching and no work to show for it. I'm making my own textures for Jdoom, and you're doing.. what?

Good luck, Ed. I'm sure they'll be good textures, and not mostly cheap hacks of the originals. As for myself, I'm working on my project. Posting my opinions here doesn't stop that. I'm sure most of the others posting here are doing likewise (their own stuff.)

Ed said:

You could sit on your asses and complain some more..

or, you could remake all these textures on your own or in a group, then again, when other communities have a task to complete, the community rallies behind it and gets the job done, and done well for that matter. A fine example would be the Quake e1m1 retexturing project. Unfortunately, this community has such a pessimistic attitude half the time that there will be plenty of bitching and no work to show for it. I'm making my own textures for Jdoom, and you're doing.. what?

Ahh the classic "if you're so superior, do it yourself" argument.

I say "City by the Sea" was a bad movie, but I am automatically wrong. After all, instead of sitting on my ass and complaining about it I should be creating my own movie, right?

Maybe you could actually respond to some of the arguments on this thread instead of complaining about the "community"'s "pessimistic attitude".

Your new textures aren't being created by Photoshop filters, are they?

He also ripped off some of Iikka's base textures and didn't credit him.

These textures may be freely used and distributed, under the following
conditions:

- My name (Iikka Keranen) is mentioned. With single levels, the "Additional
credits" section is where you put my name. With conversions and level
paks, or projects involving several people, I would be a "co-author".

- The website where one can find these textures is mentioned, so other people
will find them: http://www.planetquake.com/ikq/

- No money is charged for distributing this texture set or ANY PRODUCT USING
THESE TEXTURES. I am the only person who has the right to get money from
selling these textures. You use them for free, you distribute them free!

- These textures are not modified without my permission; Modified textures
remain my property. Modified versions of this texture set, or combinations
of this and other sets may not be distributed, EXCEPT as a .pk3 file that
contains levels using these textures.

Most of the textures are ass too.

Meh, everyone steals textures. Look how many Quake textures ended up in GothicDm, who's .txt says:

Authors MAY NOT use these LEVELS, GRAPHICS, TEXTURES, SOUNDS,
and MIDIs as a base to build additional levels.

Funny how they forgot to give id any credit. :p Does it really matter? They say this is a jumping off point and from here they can start really refining stuff. I give 'em another year to either prove themselves or bury themselves.