Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hyena

The /newstuff Chronicles #113

In regards to Linguica:

Its not often that I see one hammer another down with a barrage of insults yet at the same moment maintain absolute coherence of speech and sew their insults together into such an elaborate tapestry of displeasure.

I take my hat off to you.

In regards to the Artic Wolf:

I loaded it up, found it running slightly amiss myself. Instead of presuming there was a bum DEH patch. I hit the ~ in zdoom scrolled up to the list of files loaded and noticed that it loaded the two wads but not the deh file. I changed the command line from -file arctic.wad gfx1.wad -deh arctic1.deh to -file arctic.wad gfx1.wad arctic.deh. Loaded the game up agian checked the list of loaded files, noticed arctic1.deh and knew I was good to go.

Hyena slipped up and lead himself into getting hammered. From this anyone else who does reviews including himself may learn a lesson. Watch your ass and make sure everything is loaded up properly a lot of ports list what they have loaded in some fashion or another, even vanilla Doom.

ravage said:

Wait, weren't you banned?

Yes, and I rebanned him. And I will keep doing so as long as he re-registers and re-registers.

Icemann, Myk, thanks for your comments. But this isn't up for debate. I have said what is acceptable in the future, and woe-betide any of you who cross me.

I repeat.

Our reviewers give a large amount of their free time to deliver us this boon each week. They have their opinions, and you have yours. of course you're allowed to state your different opinions as regards the reviewed material, but no you will NOT flame the reviewer.

We had a situation when AndrewB stopped reviewing where we had no-one doing newstuff for a while and I don't ever, ever want that to happen again because our reviewers, operating well within their positional boundaries, were basically forced out.

Some of you need to remember that a review's quality is not necessarily based on its objectivity. Information, subjective opinion, and economy determine it's success. As far as I am concerned, our reviewers meet these targets roughly 90% of the time, which is considerably better than most printed reviews in newspapers or periodicals.

I don't often put my foot down but it's coming down here. And I mean it. Be thankful that you've got reviews at all and respect it. That is all. Period.

pritch, why do you put me alongside with icemann there? Did I flame anyone whatsoever? Furthermore, I spoke decently with anyone I traded words with (or so I thought), accused no one, and didn't even propose changing anything. Did I seem to be debating something "on icemann's side"? Did I treat the reviewer with disrespect? Did I not even contribute possiblities as to why the WAD did not work, which could be considered helpful info in this case? I want to know since, I want to know where I'm standing when a Supermoderator speaks threateningly to me like that (stomping down, etc.) I did propose some moderation and forethought on the matter when people on both sides seemed angry, but...?

Hyena reviewed the file as uploaded. It ISN'T HIS JOB TO CHECK FOR UPDATES TO EVERYTHING THAT GETS UPLOADED. As it is the game had a SERIOUS flaw. While it is fun to play, that doesn't mean he has to convieniently forget the dehacked file is utterly fucked. Jesus Christ Icemann, is he supposed to check around for every fuckin wad that comes through to make sure he's got the best version? He isn't reviewing the latest version from the website, he's reviewing what got submitted to newstuff. Pretty simple concept.

CCelizic said:

In regards to the Artic Wolf:

I loaded it up, found it running slightly amiss myself. Instead of presuming there was a bum DEH patch. I hit the ~ in zdoom scrolled up to the list of files loaded and noticed that it loaded the two wads but not the deh file. I changed the command line from -file arctic.wad gfx1.wad -deh arctic1.deh to -file arctic.wad gfx1.wad arctic.deh. Loaded the game up agian checked the list of loaded files, noticed arctic1.deh and knew I was good to go.

Hyena slipped up and lead himself into getting hammered. From this anyone else who does reviews including himself may learn a lesson. Watch your ass and make sure everything is loaded up properly a lot of ports list what they have loaded in some fashion or another, even vanilla Doom.

Excuse me? I slipped up?

1. The instructions said -deh arctic1.deh -file arctic1.wad gfx.wad. That's what I did. If the instructions are wrong, that's not my slip-up.
2. The instructions were not wrong. I followed them correctly.
3. Zdoom's console does not include deh in the added files messages, so if it doesn't say "added arctic1.deh" that's because it's not supposed to.
4. Loading a deh file with -file doesn't even work. Zdoom will say the file was added, but it tries to read it as a wad file and as such doesn't work. In other words, when you put "-file arctic1.deh" you played without deh support.
5. Even if somehow I didn't load the deh file at all, the fist/knife would not freeze when I change weapons, because the default doom behaviour doesn't do that.

YOU slipped up, not me.

myk said:

pritch, why do you put me alongside with icemann there? Did I flame anyone whatsoever? Furthermore, I spoke decently with anyone I traded words with (or so I thought), accused no one, and didn't even propose changing anything. Did I seem to be debating something "on icemann's side"? Did I treat the reviewer with disrespect? Did I not even contribute possiblities as to why the WAD did not work, which could be considered helpful info in this case? I want to know since, I want to know where I'm standing when a Supermoderator speaks threateningly to me like that (stomping down, etc.) I did propose some moderation and forethought on the matter when people on both sides seemed angry, but...?

Don't worry, Myk. I didn't doubt you. :)

Cyb said:

Man, those Sincity maps are quite excellent, though the second one bombs out with 37.cab when the marines die for some reason... 36.cab works fine tho.

Found that bug, fixed it, and sent it off to Randy (although he's probably already fixed it)...

I'm about 99.99% positive that Laz didn't upload the Arctic Wolf wad. He moved on from Doom editing a while back, but is still quite an active skinner for Star Trek: Voyager Elite Force. His site is located at http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/elitefarce/bots/index.html if anyone wants to take a look... It's all Star Trek stuff, so I don't know if many people here would be interested. And no, I didn't just register to make one post... I've been a lurker for longer than I've been registered...

myk said:

Heh, myk, when I said "Thanks for your comments", I meant it, without sarcasm. Icemann had some fair points, but he chose to be a bit cheeky with me.

Yours were fine and please note I wasn't addressing you in particular, I was addressing everyone for future reference. Indeed on the contrary, I was rather impressed by your mature example in this thread.

AFADoomer said:

I'm about 99.99% positive that Laz didn't upload the Arctic Wolf wad. He moved on from Doom editing a while back, but is still quite an active skinner for Star Trek: Voyager Elite Force

He's also working on a new mod for MacWolf, and has converted one of his MacWolf mods to PC Wolf3d.

Posted by Laz Rojas on the Wolfenmania MacWolf Yahoo Group
Regarding WolfenDOOM, it is highly unlikely I'll return to work on
Operation: Rheingold, but I won't rule it out completely. During the
summer of 2000, I started working on a deluxe version of Operation:
Arctic Wolf with additional levels, additional enemies, more special
effects, and other improvements. By October 2000, this special
edition of Arctic Wolf was 75% complete. But then it got completely
derailed by two things:

1) In August 2000, I finally broke down and bought a PC so I could
play games that weren't available for the Mac
2) In October 2000, I got the PC version of Raven's Star Trek
Voyager: Elite Force

Once I got into Elite Force, the new version of Arctic Wolf got put
on hold, and the only game-related work I've done over the past two
years is make skins and bots for Elite Force. But I recently resumed
work on the new Arctic Wolf, and it'll be released by the end of the
year.

That was last year. Tsk Tsk, Laz...

In the meantime, he hasn't forgotten Wolf...
http://www.wolfenstein3d.co.uk/totenhaus.gif
http://www.wolfenstein3d.co.uk/halten.gif

Perhaps you are right there. The problem is these darn doom ports all handle command lines differently. Its enough to make my eyes cross.

In either case you have my apologies.

CCelizic said:

Perhaps you are right there. The problem is these darn doom ports all handle command lines differently. Its enough to make my eyes cross.

In either case you have my apologies.

No problem. I found it a little amusing. :p

The interesting thing here is that I get an apology from someone who makes a simple mistake.
A certain other person says my review was crap, that I had no common sense, and that I should be removed as a doomworld reviewer. Also, he was basing his remarks off a wad he played two years ago without looking into whether or not my remarks had any merit on the current upload. And his only response is "Well I got it to work in Jdoom".