Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

myk said:

Joel, yeah. I dealt with it, responding to your (derisive) disagreement.

Thanks someone

for being bigger and dropping the whole thing

I play usually with doom legacy because my computer refuces to run zdoom on higher resolutions properly. The framerate suffers that way too much. I think zdoom is better than legacy though, if your computer can handle it. I especially enjoy zdoom's option to change automap button and the overlay automap option. And legacy is so damn buggy!

deathz0r said:

Try going through the entire 0.2 level without crashing.

Yes, actually I had 0.2 in mind when I posted that, not 0.4 like I said.

I'll start:

Zdoom
current 'unofficial' version: 2.0.38
current 'official' version: 1.22

pros:
-Nice 'n stable
-2.0.38 only needs 1 file, an iwad.
-a stable sound code
-advanced acc scripting in levels
-full hexen + heretic support (2.0.38)
-higher performance than most other ports
-ambient sounds
-vrack2 support
-almost fully customizable player setup
-nearly unlimited number skins can be loaded
-stable chasecam

cons:
-acc scripting is a pain in the ass to learn (but can be well worth it!)
-no splitscreen
-software mode only
-Hexen support is VERY good, but still has a bug or too
-won't play original doom demos, PERIOD
-demos fram previous versions go out of sync
-1.22 is unstable

Doom Legacy
current version: 1.40

-Easy-to-Learn fraggle script
-opengl, minigl, and 3dfx support
-splitscreen play
-client/server network play
-Heretic support
-DSV4 :)
-more freedom in control customization
-chasecam

cons:
-slightly buggy sound code
-fraggle script is a tad more limited than acc
-opengl/minigl/3dfx tends to have a few problems (missing textures, invisible walls, holes, etc.)
-splitscreen play isn't always that great in DM
-player setup is more limited than zdoom
-skin packs tend to screwup upon loading 99% of the time
-32 skin limit
-translucency displays very dark in software mode (does anyone even use software?)
-original doom demos go out of sync
-chasecam is buggy

EDGE
Pros:

Easy to code new things, weapons etc.
Good 3d sector support
3d card support
Dynamic Lighting

Cons:

Occasionally unstable
No DEH support
No multiplayer
Buggy moving sectors

Heh, this list is somewhat useless since it's not 100% objective. For me ACS was übereasy to learn (actually I don't had to learn it at all) because I already know C. Also ZDoom 1.22 is very stable for me. And there is ZDoomGL which is very nice. Dunno about the other ports though ^_^

Oh BTW, some people (including me) already wrote small summarys for the more popular ports some time ago. It used to be in on of the FAQs here on DW, dunno the URL though, heh.

Doomsday

PROS

OpenGL/D3D support
XGdata scripting for events
Coloured lighting
Dynamic Lighting
Ambient sounds
Scrolling textures (any direction)
Chained events
MP3/CD Audio Support
Sector-Over-Sector coming soon
Wind/Gravity effects for sectors
MD2 Support
Hi-Res TGA texture support
Completely customisable DED definition files

CONS

No slopes
Scripting could be more extensive for Thing triggers
Multiplayer mode needs working on
Not designed for older (P2) machines, especially with MD2s enabled

footman said:

-translucency displays very dark in software mode (does anyone even use software?)

umm i do! i love software mode, most OpenGL modes make everything look blurred and then my eyes water and i cant play.. and GLBoom the monsters are walking IN the floor!

just so everyone knows, this is all typed with a smile :)

now Legacy can fix the blur but when i feel like having mouse look it fucks up the sprites when im looking ALL THE WAY up and down, i think ZDoom's MLook over dose it a lil too but at least the sprites lay down and i don't see them edge on.. i only really like about 45° of MLook in doom cos that # doesn't distort the world too much either and i dont have to see that i have NO FEET!.. and Legacy's software mode dose that, tho i miss the cool lighting FX of OpenGL

JDoom is great when i feel like Quake but want to play Doom :p

im just getting back into Doom and im sorry i missed out on Doom all this time, and i want to play Doom the way it was played back in 94... yes i love the blood splats of ZDoom and a lil bit of MLook if im not feeling TOO nostalgic and sure infinitely tall monsters suck sometimes but how good are you if you have to turn off the old limits and 'rules' of the original engine?

i am NOT trying to be mean, tho might be sounding that way, im glad you made this post and i will be VERY interested in what will be said here, just something great to you may not be to someone else, tho im sure im in the minority OF the minority

but ppl might talk about the compatibility options and witch Port FEELS like the Doom of yester years and adds to what could have been in Doom if ID worked a few more months on it (like bullet holes and blood splats both ZDoom and Legacy's, ZDOOM'S are the best but Legacy's is probably the best ID could have done at the time)

thanks for listening to my opinion, and please keep up the great posts everyone :)

Spike said:

Doomsday

PROS

OpenGL/D3D support
XGdata scripting for events
Coloured lighting
Dynamic Lighting
Ambient sounds
Scrolling textures (any direction)
Chained events
MP3/CD Audio Support
Sector-Over-Sector coming soon
Wind/Gravity effects for sectors
MD2 Support
Hi-Res TGA texture support
Completely customisable DED definition files

CONS

No slopes
Scripting could be more extensive for Thing triggers
Multiplayer mode needs working on
Not designed for older (P2) machines, especially with MD2s enabled

You forgot:

Cons:
No BOOM support! Unfortunately that kills the engine for me because nearly all my favorite levels require a Boom compatible engine.

I just dl the new Jdoom with the hi-res textures.

High-res support is definitly a pro and the smooth camera option make the visual much better. It's like if it ran at twice the fps that it really is.

Too bad Zdoom scripts are not implemented.

BTW, is there a smooth camera option in the new ZdoomGL ? Heh, now I played with it, I can't play without it :P

Sweet Prince said:

A bunch of stuff.

Whoops! didn't mean to offend you there, i'm terribly sorry. ^_^

on topic:

Vavoom
current version: dunno, havent checked

PROS:
-particles
-supports alot of stuff that i wish i could remember
-opengl and direct3d rendering
-MD2 support
-hexen + heretic supprot
-strife support

CONS:

-rather unstable
-lower framerate than most ports (unoptomized engine)
-runs like a slideshow on big maps
-md2 support is limited compared to zdoomgl and doomsday
-strife support is EXTREMLY limited

ZDoomGL
current version by timmie: 0.73
current version by kokak: 0.66.2

PROS:
-opengl support
-MD2 support
-supports 99% of zdoom 2.0.38's features (0.73)
-supports 99% of zdoom 1.22's features (0.66.2)
-dynamic lights
-lens flares/coronas
-heretic + hexen support (0.73)

CONS:
-a bit unstable (0.73)
-VERY unstable (0.66.2)
-md2s tend to screw up
-supports all of zdoom's faults :P

no no no i wasnt offend at all! :p

just what port screams old school but still kicks new age ass? err wait let me look up new age...

and like, if Zdoom won't play original doom demos and yet has the same feel when playing the game with the old exes.. how can that be if the engine is so far from what it was... err nevermind its late

Graf Zahl said:

You forgot:

Cons:
No BOOM support! Unfortunately that kills the engine for me because nearly all my favorite levels require a Boom compatible engine.

BOOMSDAY (an extension of DOOMSDAY) by Graham Jackson supports all the BOOM types and has a lot more level compatibility.

JDoom
Pros - VERY FUCKING PRETTY
Cons - Configuration and directory layout is a fucking pain in the ass

ZDoom
Pros - BESTEST PORT EVAR
Cons - What?

timmie said:

What sort of bugs have you come across?

mistake! i couldnt get it to run at first, and assumed it was a bit unstable! I'm horribly sorry! i got it to run, and it's beautiful!! :D

footman said:

mistake! i couldnt get it to run at first, and assumed it was a bit unstable! I'm horribly sorry! i got it to run, and it's beautiful!! :D

Sweet :) Just out of curiousity, why wasn't it running?

Heh, I know there are bugs, but there shouldn't be many crashing-type bugs... It's mostly texture alignments on slopes that's the problem right now.

footman, you forgot to mention a problem with Legacy: There's no Hexen support! Also, it seems a bit slower running than ZDoom.

Arioch said:

ZDoom
Pros - BESTEST PORT EVAR
Cons - What?

Yep. If ZDoom does have a Con it would be it's documentation. I dream of one day visiting notgod and finding an all singing and dancing fully updated and comprehensive ZDoom reference.

edit: We don't have the documentation, but we have the next best thing...Enjay :)

Russell_P said:

edit: We don't have the documentation, but we have the next best thing...Enjay :)

duh :)

Fredrik said about 'Vrack2 support':
Well that really is everything, don't we all agree.

Nooooo. But it is quite a compliment for you that someone defines this a required feature of a port.....poor misguided soul ;)

Well Legacy is very nice, very easy launcher, multiplayer works nice too. But Legacy's boom support is poor, try to play 'Phobos: Anomoly Reborn' with Legacy and you know what i mean.

Legacy's a bloated piece of shit with lots of "features" that sound nice on the surface but when you play it for a while you realize none of those "features" are well-implemented and there's bugs in the port that you can drive a mack truck through and nobody can be arsed to fix them because "it's not our cup of tea" (direct quote).

There's only so much I'd be willing to help a source port out in order to play it, and I expect the said source port to meet me in the middle in terms of effort. Legacy fails it.

legacy -ds3d on -mb 32 -opengl -iwad doom.wad

That's not including the zennode that they recommend you use in order to get rid of all the spots with missing textures. Zennode modifies the wad, unlike glbsp which by default merely builds a secondary nodes file ... and despite my and others' urging they refuse to add glbsp support. And I am assuredly not maintaining a different copy of all the wads I play just to play Legacy.

There's a key binding system right? There's a configuration file that gets saved, right? So why is it that if I bind a key to the screenshot command, that it is not saved, despite many mentions to the alleged coders of the port?

I could go on and on and on.

They don't support gl nodes? Hmm, I wonder why. It was pretty simple to add support for (imo, anyway). That and it really does make the 3d side of things easier :)

Source port pros and cons, list them (no flaming ports that you dislike)

Arioch: flame flame flame flame

Sounds like the typical "Legacy isn't exactly like ZDOOM so I'm gonna cry about it instead of just moving on with my life" comment. No one's forcing you to use it ya big baby.

I have heard about a port called EDGE, but I can't find da web site anywhere. Does this port still exist, or is it dead?

Also (due to the fact my newer puter blew up) I use an old p166 an ZDoomDos. Just getting into level editing, but I would prefer a fuller 3D environment. Yeah I have Quake, but Doom is Doom.

It's funny how a lot of people have missed what seems rather obvious, which is that "Doom, being updated, made to live on and such, by the people who use it, (and still design levels for it) with da source code, kindly released by ID, will one day have a special and unique place in the history of gaming.

Personally, I think someone should create a port, which should be continually updated, so that one day it might compete with the latest games and maybe even surpass them. All it takes it a little cooperation and imagination (and a lot of hard grafting) and the history that will be DOOM, might even be one which continues to make headlines.

I think the key word in the previous paragraph of nonsense, is COOPERATION folks.

Its all up to us.