Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deathz0r

The /newstuff Chronicles #117

Opening up my favourite ftp client, I ventured into the pits of the /newstuff dir to discover 7 zips, which turned out to be a heartstopping total of 4 levels. You heard me, 4 levels from 7 wads. A very poor effort from the doom 'community' this week in terms of uploading crap for me to tear apart.

• Chiptune Doom v1.1 - Bill 'Bloodshedder' Koch
    (wad)(txt) -ZDoom - N/A
    I love chiptunes. They bring out the nostalogic feeling in me. Bloodshedder did a rather impressive job on chiptuning all of the Doom 1 songs, even though the E1M6 chiptune is one of the most annoying songs that I've ever heard. Other than that, it's a recommended download for those who wish that Doom was ported to the NES or C64 (heh, NESDoom...).

• DoomBoy DeathMatch - Justin 'DooMBoy' James
    (wad)(txt) -ZDoom - DM(img) (img) (img)
    I got the honours to bitch about it before it got released, so I will say exactly what I said to DoomBoy in AOL IM:dbdm.wad is a very nice, providing a big room to battle in. It's detailed very nicely, showing off a E1-ish atmosphere with a lot of usage of Ceiling_Transfer light specials. The only problem I have with it is that it's very symmetrical, which can lead to very boring dm matches. Even though I hate symmetrical maps, I think that some of you people should take a look at it, even if it's replay factor is very low.

• Doom Textures for Doom II - SargeBaldy
    (wad)(txt) -Doom2.exe - N/A
    The title pretty much says all. A few textures ripped from Doom 1 available for Doom 2, a new computer screen (for the Doom: Enigma project) and that same waterfall graphic which is in about 2000 other wads. I don't really see the point of this wad, since doom1-2.wad has been around since about a month after Doom 2 was on the shelves.

• IC DooM Series : 2002 AKA 'I Can't People still play this Damned - Ian Cunnings
    (wad)(txt) -Doom2.exe - SP(img) (img) (img)
    The only good SP wad this week. A rather big single-level wad, which the author brilliantly produced a dark, frightening atmosphere packed with imps, spectres and other nastys. Ammo is extremely scarce though, and the big fights are a bit cramped. Other than that, this wad wins the "I like it" award for this week.

• Monsters Skin Pack - BeeZee_88
    (wad)(txt) -Legacy and ZDoom - N/A
    Once again, Ty brillantly shows off the fact that he doesn't not give a shit about anything which comes through /incoming anymore. All the "author" did was open up wintex, extract a few monster sprites from doom2.wad and converted them to skins. There is no graphical changes at all.

• Press Conference - Christian Denholm
    (wad)(txt) -ZDoom - SP(img) (img)
    What the hell is this? Is this meant to be a joke?

Everything about it is horrible. The gameplay is horrible, the detailing the horrible, the traps are obvious and too constant, the layout sucks, as it is incredibly cramped, and the ACS script... is ok.

• Press Conference - Christian Denholm
    (wad)(txt) -ZDoom - SP(img) (img)
    The thrilling sequel, I think. Looks like this author was too stupid to even bother changing half of the text file. What I said above about Press Conference applys to this level as well, except this one is slightly smaller.

Nah, I don't care much what comes through. I figure if someone turned all the sprites into flats, or flats into sprites, it's different from what's out there and someone else can decide if they want to use it or not. Stupid, useless, duplicative and boring don't enter into it. Besides, I'm not about to download all this crap and micro-examine it any more. I've got a Daedalus to release!

Unfortunately 3dgamers was moving the archives around a bit between machines over the last week or 2, and there have been some times (and may be some more) when people with something to upload couldn't. That's not to say anyone tried, but in spite of it being your week to review, some may not have done it *just* to frustrate you :)

Probably. Next thing you know Hyena (or UD, whoever is doing it next) has about 26 wads to go through. =P

EDIT: Yeah, I kinda noticed the 5 day gap between burger.zip and dbdm.zip, so I guess that's when the archives were being moved around?

Assmaster said:

The link for Press Conference is incorrect.
.../prscnfc.zip.zip

Well, the level sucks anyway.

And it's fixed here, I guess I have to bother Cyb or something to fix it up in the actual news post.

well, I can always use these doom1 textures, :P
Well, I dunno about the maps, boring week... :(

deathz0r said:

And it's fixed here, I guess I have to bother Cyb or something to fix it up in the actual news post.

Fixed. Hooray, I didn't screw anything up!

The chiptune.wad took me back to the days of my 8-bit soundblaster. The tunes weren't your typical chiptunes (I guess since Doom's music is dark), but it's worth its salt.

"IC DooM Series : 2002 AKA 'I Can't People still play this Damned"

I think if nothing else, an author should at least proofread his title.

it is "I Can't People still play this Damned Game"
if you're gonna ridicule, at least get your facts straight. :)
and does it really matter what he calls it, it is a good wad.
maybe if you say it with a Welsh accent it'd be more clear to you...

I can't still people play this damned either. How about that?

Man that dm is purdy. It makes me wanna add 5 million LITE3's to my Enigma map. In fact, I think I shall...

Anyway, did anyone even try EpyoDM last week? I'd like feedback, I mean, I did put like, a week of work into it.

Fairly lame week, and on my birthday too, bah.

Still, ic2002 was good. And pressconference had a very basic shoot 'em up goodness about it, if we're being kind.

Opulent said:

it is "I Can't People still play this Damned Game"
if you're gonna ridicule, at least get your facts straight. :)
and does it really matter what he calls it, it is a good wad.
maybe if you say it with a Welsh accent it'd be more clear to you...

I DID get my facts straight. Man, it's always annoying when people correct you when you're right.
When I saw deathz0r's review I thought maybe he accidentally left out a word, but I checked the txt file and it doesn't have "game" in it either.
I copied+pasted from it, so I know I'm not the one who made the mistake.

Edit: Okay, so he did have "game" in there, but it was way off the screen. Sorry about that. Deathz0r didn't notice it either.

Oh well. The important part is that he didn't say "believe"

I can't people still read textfiles wrong.
heh
All your textfiles are belong to us.. it's you. Someone set us up the archive.
j/k, I'm only teasing.
yes, he shouldn't have left out 'believe'; although it DID get your attention. :)

Monsters Skin Pack - BeeZee_88

Once again, Ty brillantly shows off the fact that he doesn't not give a shit about anything which comes through /incoming anymore. All the "author" did was open up wintex, extract a few monster sprites from doom2.wad and converted them to skins. There is no graphical changes at all.

The wads were created by a 14 year old. Even if you're going to review them that harshly, you could still avoid shitting up your language.

Opulent said:

heh
j/k, I'm only teasing.
yes, he shouldn't have left out 'believe'; although it DID get your attention. :)

Best post ever.

Opulent said:

heh
j/k, I'm only teasing.

You! Author! Get you the bad spelling of textfile to die!
Hear is a textfile of you!
It seems to be literate. But it is incorrect.
Your spelling is not enough.

mewse said:

The wads were created by a 14 year old. Even if you're going to review them that harshly, you could still avoid shitting up your language.

I was 14 when I made CAPSLOCK. and when I made Captain Mancubus (Well, most of it's levels anyway). My point is, age doesn't batter!

Epyo said:

My point is, age doesn't batter!

Have you got a code id your dose.

(Have you got a cold in your nose) :-)