Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ChaosOverlord

switch over switch

hey check out this link, and tell me if you can help me with this problem... i think I could probably do it using scripting, but if you think about it, it would get kind of confusing.. i don't know... if someone could help me with this, you would rock.. how can I get it so that when I activate the switches on the top to only open the forcefield (not yet implemented) for the doors on top and the bottom switches to of course open the bottom doors.. what do you think? let me know... thanks..

screen of what I am talking about:
www.cybernetic-chaos.8k.com/sos.html

and just so you know.. yes, each of the switches are different textures.. the upper switches and the lower switches are not connected via one texture.. they are all seperate textures

Well, im not excactly a pro at making levels...but. For wut ur sayin u want to open da Force firl wit da top switchs and da door wit da bottom ones. Well, I think its quite simple. Make a Door for da force field, and a Another door behind it like dis :

Then Tag da Top Switch to da Force field, and da bottom switch to da actual door. and set both to "S1 Turbo Open Door" or sumthing.

Well.. I'm not sure I understand.. what I am trying to achieve is to have the switches de-activate the forcefields that will be blocking each of the upper level doors and each of the lower level doors, each switch solely operating with it's respective forcefield.

I think Ez was explaining how to make the forcefields work and not the switches.

For your switches: I get a Red X for the image, but I remember what it looked like earlier - a 3D bridge with 2 above and 2 below, on the same horizontal axis. You cannot operate one switch that is behind another switch if you cannot cross the line of the switch in front. Now what you could do is make a small 64x64 indent in the wall, so that you step off the 3D bridge and into the indent to flip the top switch, and have the bottom switch be on the line that the indent begins with.

I can draw a small diagram if you need.

Actually with a little bit of scripting they both work perfectly.. but now I have a new problem.. In order to block the force fields I used floating 1x1 "invisible bridge things".. now my question is, how can I get them to disappear when the forcefield is shut off and to reappear when re-activated.. I know how to get them to disappear, but to come back, I can't figure it.. I know I would with some time, but what I really need to know, is what the "invisble bridge things" name is so I can plug it into

thing_spawnnofog(tag,"INVISBLE BRIDGE THING NAME",0)

does anyone know the answer to this question (I use WadAuthor by the way), or maybe another method of doing what I want to do, which is to block and unblock the passageways in each door without having to use the set linedef "impassible" switch, because that would stop you from moving through both of the doors, higher and lower whether they were open or not.. so, tell me what you think...

OK... I can't help with the scripting, but I can help with a different trick - there's a way you can make "solid" windows, and I'd recommend using that instead of things.

You have to put an invisible barrier either right in front of or preferably right behind the window.

Look at this image.

The colors of the lines are drawn to match what they'd look like on the Doom automap. Everything that is shaded with colored pixels is a sector: the ones that are totally black aren't part of the level. The Cyan pixels (light-blue ones on the top and bottom) are your regular rooms. The area inbetween the top and bottom rooms will be your window. As you can see, it requires 3 sectors in the forcefield area to make this effect.

Let's say your room (cyan pixels) has a CEILING=128 and a FLOOR=0. The dark-brown walls on the top and bottom of this forcefield area will be where you place the fuzzy forcefield textures.

Behind them, the sector with the blue pixels will have a CEILING=128 and a FLOOR=0, just like the room. This will be the center of the forcefield (or behind, depends where you place the field).

The next sector in, with the purple pixels, will have a CEILING=512 and a FLOOR=0.

Then finally, the last sector in the center will have a CEILING=512 and a FLOOR=511.

DO NOT TEXTURE ANY WALLS EXCEPT THE ONES WITH THE FORCEFIELD!!

What this does: if you leave the wall textures off the other inner sectors, Doom will cover them up with the ceilings and floors of the first sector, marked with the blue pixels. The center floor which is raised into the ceiling acts as the impassible barries, since the projectiles and bullets will be hitting a solid wall, even though the wall doesn't show.

Sorry for the bad explanation of how it works, but that's how it works.

Now in your case, what you can do is have the script lower that floor instantly to open the forcefields, and raise it back to it's original height instantly to close the forcefields. It's important you have it raise to 1 pixel below the ceiling height instead of the actual ceiling height so that you don't get a HOM effect.

I guess you could put one of these in front and one behind the forcefield as well. They only need to take up 3 pixels of space anyways, so it's not a space-eating problem.

Yeah, but think about it... if the lower forcefield was still active and you moved to the upper floor and turned of the forcefield, the floor would lower and you would be able to pass through both forcefields, higher and lower.. whether they were turned on or off... i can do it with invisible bridge things, but unless I can find out how to spawn them through scripting I can only make it so you can deactivate the forcefields (allowing free passage to the cells behind them) but cannot reactivate them, due to the fact that I do not know how to thing_spawn them.. if ANYONE knows how to thing_spawn an invisible bridge thing, tell me, cuz I really, really want to know..!!!

OK, well if you have Hexen, look at the Darkmere map (Map08), find Linedef 566, and look at the script it is tagged to. It spawns 15 glitter bridges, at varying heights. Numerous other places in Hexen do this as well, but this is the most prominent one that comes to mind.

Dude, you are bad as hell for finding this out, I swear.. unfortunately however, I do not own Hexen.. (i used too) so I cannot look at this map... that really sucks, because I remember that part, and you're right... I just wish I could see the scripts damnit!! thanks anyway man, you rock!

Well, I can take it one step further:

I've uploaded the small portion of that level which uses the line and the script. You can get it here (13K, WAD). When I tried to open it with ZDoom mode in DeePsea, it reset all the tags on me (obviously I didn't save the changes), but the behaviour entry is in there so maybe you could find it in the script, since you seem to know your scripts pretty well. I also noticed the line uses Special #135, which is spawn items, but I'm sure it has to be tagged to a script to be able to set the amount, location, height variety, etc. In the map, the line is at the top of the map in the small stair-like area, and the bridge things are the sideways L-shaped arrangement below it.