Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Insert Quip, Joke, and/or Pun Here

SargeBaldy told me via IRC (yesterday, heh) that Speedmapping hosted by him will resume as normal tomorrow. Normal, as in, 19:00 GMT, which corresponds to 2 PM Eastern Standard Time. Normal, as in, irc.freenode.net channel #zdoom. That is all. Goodbye.

Hooray for non-lame speedmapping hosts. Man, that last guy, what's-his-name really really sucked. I hope he chokes on his all-butter breakfast and pass out in a bucket of his own vomit and drown.

Hyena said:

Hooray for non-lame speedmapping hosts. Man, that last guy, what's-his-name really really sucked. I hope he chokes on his all-butter breakfast and pass out in a bucket of his own vomit and drown.

Yeah me too. Who was it? :P

Hyena said:

heh, well i hope i'm not :P i think i can generally expect at least one flame when people read my topic :P

Some really nice little maps there. Some capturing the theme really well. I had thought that an addition to the theme like

Place a spider demon as queen hissy for your end game boss - a dehacked one with the same HP as the spider and a faster attack than the regular caco will be provided, and will have the Romero head code pointer to exit the level when you kill it.

would have been quite cool.

That was until I saw the last map. Not really speed mapping, more speed custom texturing, but a stroke of genius none the less.

And on a side issue, am I the only one getting pissed off with "mocking" maps?

IMO, it's getting pretty damned old pretty damned fast.

Yeah, I get the point - shitty, inappropriate textures, bad alignment, poor enemy/weapon matching etc etc - mistakes we've all made at some point and worth taking the piss out of. And yes, it can be funny if done well. However, once is funny 5000 times isn't.

By the time Mock, Mock 2 or whatever comes out (if indeed it does) the joke will be so old, and have already been told in so many ways the entire point will have been lost. Perhaps that will be the ultimate mockery.

magikal said:

Didn't even manage to start, comp problems:(

yeah i saw you around and thought you were going to map.. oh well there's always next week :)

Enjay said:

...am I the only one getting pissed off with "mocking" maps?...

By the time Mock, Mock 2 or whatever comes out (if indeed it does) the joke will be so old, and have already been told in so many ways the entire point will have been lost. Perhaps that will be the ultimate mockery.

yes i agree, there are quite a lot of needless joke maps lately. when half my speedmaps are jokes, that just means i need to make the theme a bit harder :P

and yes, mock2 WILL come out, it's about 98% complete. and it's far more amusing then 98% of the joke maps circling about, so i just hope all those little guys don't spoil the set they're spinning off :P

Enjay said:

Some really nice little maps there. Some capturing the theme really well. I had thought that an addition to the theme like

would have been quite cool.

That was until I saw the last map. Not really speed mapping, more speed custom texturing, but a stroke of genius none the less.

IMO, it's getting pretty damned old pretty damned fast.

Yeah, I get the point - shitty, inappropriate textures, bad alignment, poor enemy/weapon matching etc etc - mistakes we've all made at some point and worth taking the piss out of. And yes, it can be funny if done well. However, once is funny 5000 times isn't.

Actually, it's that reason that I put off mock 2's release. Because everyone's trying to be a damn comedian and people are going to be so sick of lame jokes that mock 2 will be totally ineffectual. I'm going to release it once the flow of joke wads stops.

Enjay said:

No, you're not. I think it's funny once every six years or so (THISSUXX.WAD in 1996; 1337.WAD in 2002). I was very disappointed to find that a recent speedmapping session had a "Mock" theme. I normally play all the maps in these packs, but quickly got bored with this one, even though some of my favourite mappers were involved.

sargebaldy said:

yeah i saw you around and thought you were going to map.. oh well there's always next week :)

I was but as soon as I started I had problems, I was well pissed off. The good thing was I spent the time fixing my comp....successfully!
See ya next week sarge.

I just looked up THISSUXX.WAD

Pretty funny. I love how they use the same music in every single level and for the title, intermission, and story music.

sargebaldy said:

when half my speedmaps are jokes, that just means i need to make the theme a bit harder :P

Not that I've actually been involved but your themes seem to be more restrictive than other ones. Perhaps the "generic" (or possibly "bland" if you prefer) ideas have all been used up. Or maybe they're simply just not to your taste. However, something like "make a map suggested by the title "to hell and back"" is a lot more open than the back story you gave to your session. Just a thought. Perhaps a bit of mix 'n' match?

Enjay said:

Not that I've actually been involved but your themes seem to be more restrictive than other ones. Perhaps the "generic" (or possibly "bland" if you prefer) ideas have all been used up. Or maybe they're simply just not to your taste. However, something like "make a map suggested by the title "to hell and back"" is a lot more open than the back story you gave to your session. Just a thought. Perhaps a bit of mix 'n' match?

my next theme is going to be far more vague (it's actually based on an idea of nightmare's that he came up with after he was done doing speedmapping, so i'm going to steal it :)