Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Request for Repose

AV is better than HR tho. Both are fucking hard on UV of course (natch, as that was the point of them), HR may be a little harder (it's been a while since I played HR), but it is amusing how how hard AV is never came into play in that review, hehe. Also the various silly quips and misinformation are quite hilarious.

Vorpal said:

I for one enjoyed reading someone elses viewpoint of AV...

Could that be because he enjoyed one of your levels -> praising as one of the best he's played ? (of course he trashed the ones you did before and after it).. :)

Right, I was going to ignore all this feedback because it's 70% nasty, narrow-minded, poisonous bullshit, but comparing me to Fiffy pissed me off to the point of mania (for some reason) and I had to defend myself.

"Getting lost on that homepage is way too easy... I need a guide!"

What was the problem? It was only 2 screens long. If you aren't sure how to navigate web pages, read a Guide to the Internet. If you had a specific problem, you should have emailed me. As you didn't email me I assume your problems were not serious or relevant.

"no christmas card for you"

Sorry mate, but if I didn't like the wad, am I supposed to lie? How does lying benefit anyone? Perhaps I could have suggested improvement as that's constructive but from the attitude of people here it's unlikely you would have taken my suggestions seriously. I don't like nukage bases and I never have. Anyone who claims I do is either misinformed or an idiot. Or both.

"Yes, check out his Plutonia and HR reviews (esp. his reasons for disliking them)"

Poor, uninspired, boring level design, too hard on UV and HMP, not good enough to contend with its rivals - IN MY OPINION. I'm the reviewer, not you. Should I start reviewing wads from YOUR perspective? Please don't start calling my opinions shit. What happened to my right to express my opinion?

"At least the nopoet (poetry rocks) guy gave credit and (more) attention to an awesome WAD; even if his personal viewpoint is weird."

Myk, the man whose personal philosophy is "live and let live". I think. So my viewpoint is weird even though you agree with it? What does that say about you then? Come on mate, you people are accusing ME of talking shit! And what's poetry got to do with anything?! Did your boss give you an assignment to pick as many faults with me as possible even if they were stupid?

"E3M9. Warrens: When I try to play this wad, I get looped back to Hell Keep (E3M1). I don't care. It's probably bollocks anyway.
So yeah, I wouldn't pay too much attention to what he says."

I have been informed by several less hostile readers about my mistake. If you READ my review, you'll see I disliked Hell Keep, so I didn't relish the thought of playing it through again - to do so would have been stupid and pointless. I simply thought it was a bug. That's why my review was inaccurate. Upon playing the wad, I found I HAD in a sense been looped back to Hell Keep, there's just a Cyber at the end. The rest of the level was identical. OOOOH! I am so full of crap. Is the addition of a single monster enough to make a real difference between Hell Keep and Warrens?

"*sniff* *sniff* I smell bullshit."

No, I believe that's your breath. Why do you want to trade insults? How will that help? I'm pretty good at insults but would rather avoid them.

"Oh dear... He really needs to play the levels before knocking them.
EDIT: And I should also pay attention to what has already been said..."

Oh good God! If this is the measure of the opposition, I shouldn't really be too upset by the criticisms some of them offer. Why did you even bother to post anything? You just made yourself look like a hypocritical idiot! If you need to criticise me, make sure your arguments are intelligent, otherwise keep it shut!

"On his site Nopoet writes: "I want to bring fully-rounded reviews to the Doom community. I hate reading reviews that are three lines long and talk about how "good" or "bad" something is without going into relevant details (Sergeant Baldy)."
Here is Nopoet's review of BFThud Map 14:
"Faugh! Whose anus broke loose?""

You read my review guidelines selectively, and forgot to include the part where I said a level must be crap to get a 3-line review. The level was crap and didn't deserve more than one line to sum it up. How many different ways do I have to find of saying something is rubbish? I bet you really, really love Sergeant Baldy's reviews though don't you? Heh.

" However, he shouldn't drop the points of a Doom wad because it's hard, only if it don't have skill levels. Thinking that you HAVE to play a map in UV is just pigheaded.."

This is actually fair criticism, the only thing I've covered so far that HAS been reasonable. I had feedback from other people whose levels I reviewed expressing similar views and I do concede that the point is valid. It was pigheaded of me - although I prefer to see it as 'shortsighted'.

" I also like the part (in "The Armory") where he dismisses the BFG FAQ as mistaken...)"

In 8 years of Dooming I do not recall my BFG attacks killing anything I wasn't looking at. I've looked at these legendary compet-n demos and they do demonstrate a stunning level of skill, but again, I have seen NOTHING that indicates the BFG deals damage on anything other than a line-of-sight, distance-to-target basis. If I am wrong then show me where I can find a demo. Otherwise, please be quiet about the BFG. I will need to SEE it to believe it. If I do see it, I will apologise for my mistake and back down. I don't expect to see any links in response to this post.

"E3M8. Dis: The term 'bring your own ammo' was invented for this level. You need to kill a Spider Demon, but don't get anything like enough ammo if you're starting this level from scratch.
Overall, this guy is way too negative."

I don't see anything positive about fisting a Spider Demon.

"What about the hardcore doomers? should they be forced to play UV -fast just to take some damage once in a while?"

People are criticising my reviews without understanding the motivation behind them! My site CANNOT cater for Doom Gods as true Doom Gods appear to be few in number. When I think of a Doom God, I also think about those Japanese Final Fantasy 7 fans who queued for a week to buy the game then spent 350 hours making their characters more powerful than many deities. Eg, an elite, untouchable minority, who are so far ahead of other Doom/Final Fantasy fans as to be in another dimension. How the hell can an ordinary reviewer cater for those people? If AV on -fast is not a challenge for you then you're a Doom God and my reviews are most profoundly NOT FOR YOU. Learn to read!

"Both have a strong ego (My reviews tell the truth, and I won't change them no matter what anyone says!)"

I do not recall saying this. In fact I reworded Plutonia several times, Requiem twice, Talosian once, and I was re-working Fragport until Ultimate DooMer turned traitor.

"(writing for an audience of newbie Doom players that doesn't exist"

Perhaps I mentioned newbies too many times. But I have been contacted by newcomers so the audience DOES exist. Congratulations for being WRONG. But I realise that I should have concentrated more on Doomers who have been playing for a while. In this respect you are correct and I concede the point. A pity the rest of your argument doesn't hold water.

RESPONSE TO THE ULTIMATE DOOMER

"(even though my preferences are just about the opposite - although I wouldn't let those into my reviews)"

Well, aren't you just a saint.

"However, did anyone notice the huge criticism given to nukage bases in DSV4, HR and Fragport, but huge praise for the ones in AV? And also huge slating of HR for being too hard and huge praise/high ratings for AV maps of similar difficulty? Sounds like double standards to me.

(btw, I think that AV is one of the best wads ever, but looking at all the megawad reviews it's clear to spot the double standards)"

I was really looking forward to tearing you to shreds over this.

Here are excerpts of an email Ultimate DooMer sent to me at the same, or similar, to the time he bitched about me on the forums:

"Most of the review is fair, as I know that the detail isn't up to today's standards, and the gameplay isn't going to please everyone and that it can seem random at times…"
"On the whole, a fair balanced review, with all points covered and good and bad comments appropriately placed. I'm not pissed off at the review, as I respect your opinion on the maps, I just feel that the issue of crashes has been handled wrongly…"

Where is the mention of double standards and/or nukage problems? What a bloody joke! I thought I could rely on your opinions but obviously not as you were being a backstabber! A great shame, as I was hoping to find out more about the way Doomworld reviews work in the hope of refining my own technique. The only double standards are your own because I hurt your feelings by shitting on a wad you designed that I didn't like. That's not very mature.

The difference between your reviews and mine, Ultimate DooMer, is that your reviews tend to agree with what everyone else (on Doomworld) is thinking. Am I the only one who is a tad concerned about the identical thinking patterns that often emerge on the Doomworld forums? If someone hates something, everyone hates it. What's so wrong about having a different opinion? Oh, wait, we get compared to Fiffy if we stick to our guns.

"Another interesting 'consistency' is that in his review of Ultimate DooM, he comments how he likes the fact that the theme of E4M7 changes from a 'large wooden base which turns into a palace of hell which turns into a tech base, built over a river of lava.'
He then bashes E4M9 because there is a wooden section that 'doesn't fit in with the rest of the level'."

The word, in the context you have used it, is INCONSISTENCY.

In the review, did I give the impression that E4M7's theme variations were melded together naturally to create a good-looking wad? If not, I apologise. Texture clashes such as those featured in E4M9 detract from my enjoyment of the level because it looks bad. A level whose design progresses from area to area (such as the Egyptian AV map Mishri Halek) can look really good. I tend not to make myself clear and for that I apologise. But if you're just reading it wrong then you are to blame. This point is debatable as my reviews are sometimes open to interpretation because I don't choose my words carefully.

"One minute he likes levels to vary in design the next he doesn't."

Depends on the level.

"Also the various silly quips and misinformation are quite hilarious."

'Silly quips'? That's about as vague as you can get, especially in light of context and interpretation. Perhaps you would be so kind as to enlighten me further as to what I say that is so silly. Oh wait, you probably can't because it isn't that bad really. I haven't had any emails complaining about my reviews since Plutonia, and then only four people complained (two of whom were Dale Lunar). Of course the Doomworld forum was alight with gossip again even though - again - nobody had the guts to email me and face me on their own. What, do you think I'm going to buy a voodoo doll of you just because you don't like my reviews, or start sending you a ton of spam? Don't be stupid, I haven't got the time even if I was a sick, demented weirdo.

"Could that be because he enjoyed one of your levels -> praising as one of the best he's played ? (of course he trashed the ones you did before and after it).. :)"

This is provocation if ever I've seen it. Leave Vorpal alone, he's obviously got enough guts to respect my opinion.

"I don't like nukage bases and I never have"

Do you like any of the original DOOM maps? they're pretty heavy on nukage. If you hate those kinds of maps as much as you state then why review them? what is anyone going to learn about the map from your review?

I haven't slagged you off and I won't, I was just very dissapointed with your comments.

"Do you like any of the original DOOM maps? they're pretty heavy on nukage."

Like them? Very much so. I ignore the nukage wherever possible. I tend to regard Playstation Doom as the 'real' Doom and it's less nukage heavy than the PC counterpart. I really, really hate nukage based levels, even though wad authors as a collective entity get a tremendous hard-on for big pools of green slime.

"I haven't slagged you off and I won't, I was just very dissapointed with your comments."

The people who slagged me off, and who will slag me off in later posts, are really going to get it! I am as disappointed with my audience's response as you are with my reviews.

Oh, I forgot, I did receive very positive feedback from Sphagne and the legendary Anders Jonsen (forgive me if the spelling is incorrect, I cannot check by accessing Pray for Death and I just managed to crash my webmail for the third time today). I would say the opinion of either of these two, who are gentlemen as well as damn good Doomers, are worth ten of Myk. I'm singling Myk out as I don't think his custom rank is very funny! ;)

NoPoet said:

Upon playing the wad, I found I HAD in a sense been looped back to Hell Keep, there's just a Cyber at the end. The rest of the level was identical. OOOOH! I am so full of crap. Is the addition of a single monster enough to make a real difference between Hell Keep and Warrens?

Next time play the level from A to Z before you review it dumbass.

(FYI There is more than one more monster in E3M9)

‘In 8 years of Dooming I do not recall my BFG attacks killing anything I wasn't looking at. I've looked at these legendary compet-n demos and they do demonstrate a stunning level of skill, but again, I have seen NOTHING that indicates the BFG deals damage on anything other than a line-of-sight, distance-to-target basis. If I am wrong then show me where I can find a demo. Otherwise, please be quiet about the BFG. I will need to SEE it to believe it. If I do see it, I will apologise for my mistake and back down. I don't expect to see any links in response to this post.’

Load up DooM2 and play the first map. Cheat and get the BFG. Now, in the map there are two corridors. Fire the BFG down one of the corridors, run to the other and look down it. Bang, you’ll kill whatever you’re looking at. BUT, do it again, this time when you run to the other corridor do a 180 degree turn so you’re looking the other way. When you look round you’ll see bodies.

‘I don't see anything positive about fisting a Spider Demon.’

Dis was the last level of DooM, it’s not meant to be a walk in the park. And the episodes in DooM are generally meant to be played like that, as an episode. So by the time you get to Dis you will probably have the ammo from the previous levels. That said, if you do start the level from scratch, there is *just* enough ammo to do it. Not easy (but it’s not meant to be).

‘The word, in the context you have used it, is INCONSISTENCY.’

Well done. That’s why I typed ‘consistency’ in inverted commas.

And if I’m being extra picky, you need to stop referring to individual levels in DooM and DooM2 as ‘wads’. Individual levels are not necessarily ‘wads’.

NoPoet said:

Like them? Very much so. I ignore the nukage wherever possible. I tend to regard Playstation Doom as the 'real' Doom and it's less nukage heavy than the PC counterpart. I really, really hate nukage based levels, even though wad authors as a collective entity get a tremendous hard-on for big pools of green slime.

Hating the slime is like hating the monsters. Slime is another obstacle that can actually make a level *gasp* INTERESTING! "Can I make it through this slime pool? Should I explore for secret areas that might have a Toxin Suit?". Slime can also be used to pick up the pace in a level. Like, if you have to travel through a narrow hallway, Imps shooting fire at you from the walls, demons in your way and you need the key or maybe a powerup, you have to move QUICKLY! Slime is an excellent part of a map if it is used correctly.

Regarding the Playstation version of Doom is idiotic. The PS version of Doom was missing a lot of levels (though it did add some new ones) but in reality, it's just a knock-off of Doom, a way to make money off Doom fans that owned Playstations. The ONLY true versions of Doom EVER are Ultimate Doom, Doom II, the Master Levels and Final Doom, as they were all approved by id originally and are what ports of Doom to consoles are based off of.

BBG said:

The ONLY true versions of Doom EVER are Ultimate Doom, Doom II, the Master Levels and Final Doom, as they were all approved by id originally and are what ports of Doom to consoles are based off of.)

Excepted Doom 64 :D

Load up DooM2 and play the first map. Cheat and get the BFG. Now, in the map there are two corridors. Fire the BFG down one of the corridors, run to the other and look down it. Bang, you’ll kill whatever you’re looking at. BUT, do it again, this time when you run to the other corridor do a 180 degree turn so you’re looking the other way. When you look round you’ll see bodies.

*Hope NoPoet WILL try it before he post another moronic post*

In 8 years of Dooming I do not recall my BFG attacks killing anything I wasn't looking at. I've looked at these legendary compet-n demos and they do demonstrate a stunning level of skill, but again, I have seen NOTHING that indicates the BFG deals damage on anything other than a line-of-sight, distance-to-target basis. If I am wrong then show me where I can find a demo. Otherwise, please be quiet about the BFG. I will need to SEE it to believe it. If I do see it, I will apologise for my mistake and back down. I don't expect to see any links in response to this post.

how long did you say You had played doom for?
Please read the bfg faq again.

'Poor, uninspired, boring level design, too hard on UV and HMP, not good enough to contend with its rivals'

Interesting that you dont mention the lowest diffictulty levels. Could that be because you find them exceptably hard? SUrely if your site caters for the 'average' doomer, then that is what level any newbie will be playing on. Surely having harder difficulty levels that are *tough* a) caters for more talented players and b) gives the newbies something extra to try once they've finished the easier levels. Surely that is a good thing.

Considering id thought the levels were good enough for commercial release, and considering Casali went on to work on Half Life, excuse me if I don't take your opinion of the level design being 'poor' and 'uninspired' as worth anything.

Mr. NobodX said:

*Hope NoPoet WILL try it before he post another moronic post*

He won't, he is too ignorant to do that...

NoPoet said:

... I have seen NOTHING that indicates the BFG deals damage on anything other than a line-of-sight, distance-to-target basis. If I am wrong then show me where I can find a demo. Otherwise, please be quiet about the BFG. I will need to SEE it to believe it. If I do see it, I will apologise for my mistake and back down. I don't expect to see any links in response to this post.

OK, here's a link. The relevant demo is TV28S349.lmp. In the final room, there are plenty of unseen imp deaths (listen for their death sounds) that cannot be explained by them being hit by the BFG fireball. It's a Legacy demo, so you can also use the chasecam to watch for them.

Or you could verify it for yourself, as other people have suggested, but you need to get the timing and direction right.

The information about the BFG in the BFG faq is verified by the release of the source code. It says so in the preface. Therefore, anyone who is arguing with it is completely stupid and should be killed at once, before they have the chance to reproduce.

Get it into your head that I hate levels which force you to run through nukage, or levels which are filled with nukage. This is stated many, many times on Pray for Death, and I re-iterated it here because no-one is paying the slightest attention to anything I say. Your personal feelings towards nukage are your own business. Nukage in an environmental hazard, not a monster. There is a difference. Just because I have an intense dislike of nukage doesn't mean I hate levels which feature it, I hate levels which are FILLED WITH IT. Learn to bloody READ, it's getting annoying now! LEARN - TO - READ.

"OK, here's a link. The relevant demo is TV28S349.lmp. In the final room, there are plenty of unseen imp deaths (listen for their death sounds) that cannot be explained by them being hit by the BFG fireball. It's a Legacy demo, so you can also use the chasecam to watch for them."

Watched it, and I agree that there are Imp deaths which may be caused by the BFG. So I was wrong, and I apologise: it was my personal experience that the BFG only killed on a line-of-sight basis, but now I have some evidence it's certainly conceivable to me that it does have effects I haven't already seen. Thanks Grazza.

So that's it, I agree with you now I've seen it. Was that so difficult or weird? Did I have a go at Grazza? No. Looks like half the flame war is over.

You others can stop your little "moron/idiot" competition, which by the way is a bit repetitive. I am sick of being called an "idiot" just because I see things differently. No-one criticised me for being different since I was 14. Maybe I think some of you are world-class wankers but I don't point this out all the time, mainly since your actions speak for yourselves, but also because I don't feel the need to spread any feelings of spite.

"Regarding the Playstation version of Doom is idiotic."

The statement of someone with no life experience or empathy. I played PSX Doom well over 2 years before I ever saw PC Doom. Ergo, I see PSX Doom as the "real" Doom. I also think PSX Doom is better all round in terms of quality, atmosphere and gameplay. This of course is evil and wrong - BECAUSE YOU SAY SO, as the things you decree should be carved in stone for the world to admire.

"...it's just a knock-off of Doom, a way to make money off Doom fans that owned Playstations."

I find this amusing, short-sighted and dare I say ARROGANT, considering The Master Levels and Final Doom could be considered "more of the same". Isn't any sequel an attempt to cash in on an original? You really talk like you don't have a brain. I hate picking fights and making immature comments but this needs to be said. Get some life experience, come off your high horse and wake up to the way the world works.

"*Hope NoPoet WILL try it before he post another moronic post*"

What was the point of saying that? You're just being unpleasant. Come to think of it, your whole post was irrelevant. Go away. Oh wait, you're probably trying to rack up posts to gain a gold star or something.

"Therefore, anyone who is arguing with it is completely stupid and should be killed at once, before they have the chance to reproduce."

WHAT are you ON about! Well done, you managed to make Mr Nobodx look like an insightful mastermind with the soul of a poet!

"Interesting that you dont mention the lowest diffictulty levels. Could that be because you find them exceptably hard?"

No, you bloody fool, I already said on the site that I didn't play the lower difficulty levels of HR and Plutonia because I thought the megawads were CRAP! Removing 5,000 Revenants is not going to make a badly designed level (in my opinion) any better. So what if I thought Plutonia was bad? What's the big cheese? Have I just fulfilled a Nostradamus prophecy? Will the world end? No. In point of fact I received 4 genuine complaints from 3 different people. Other bitching and sniping took place on Doomworld but I didn't take much notice of that. Of the genuine complaints I received, fully 100% were acted upon. End of complaints, except on Doomworld of course, where rage apparently breeds more rage and the whole thing never goes away.

Why are we still getting hung up about the BFG? I told you my reasons for saying what I said. My other non-BFG-related points haven't been addressed. I didn't want this to turn into a flame war but it's out of my hands this time since everyone else wants one.

PS I apologise for laying into Myk so heavily. I don't appreciate anything he says, ever, but compared to some of those who just slandered me for nothing, he's a blessed angel.

NoPoet said:

stuff

I wasn't bitching about the Fragport review (I was happy with that, as I said in the mail), it was more to do with AV - you made it clear that you hate nukage bases and maps with insane amounts of monsters (which was reflected in the reviews of such maps), so it seemed a little out of place that the AV maps like that were praised so highly. Also, you decided not to flame one map because Dale Lunar would lynch you again - sounds like you were afraid to criticise it for some reason, possibly something to do with whoever made it, and one thing I totally disagree with is either praising or slating a map because of who made it.

And when I sent you that mail, I hadn't read the AV review (I read that the day after), so I hadn't come across the things I posted about.

So I wasn't turning traitor or backstabbing (I have nothing against you personally), I was merely voicing my opinion, based on what I've read in your reviews. (which is what these forums are for)

Finally, when I get a crap level to review in newstuff, then I'll say it's not that good, but not by flaming it to hell and saying it's shite 10 times over. (you've seen what happens when that happens in newstuff)

In any case, none of this matters now the site has been discontinued. And to let everyone know, he pulled the site because he said (in an email to me) that the criticism was outweighing the praise. Which possibly indicates that he was doing it for praise, rather than for the love of doing it. Hyena and deathz0r have been flamed week-in, week-out about their reviews, but they haven't given up reviewing because of it. If people started flaming my reviews I would try and work out what was wrong (if anything) and carry on. I often feel that my maps are underrated, but that doesn't stop me from carrying on (I wouldn't have made 70 maps with at least another 30 planned if I did it just for praise). Please try and remember that we all still play/edit/review etc. for DooM (despite it's age and the technology around today) because we love it, and that will never change.

‘You others can stop your little "moron/idiot" competition, which by the way is a bit repetitive. I am sick of being called an "idiot" just because I see things differently…’

Fair enough comments, nobody likes name calling.

‘No, you bloody fool, I already said…’

Oh right… perhaps you should practise what you preach.

The main thing with the BFG FAQ wasn’t that you were wrong. It was your attitude. You took a well-investigated piece of information (i.e. the faq) and then somehow thought your opinion was better. You also didn’t believe what other people said until you saw it for yourself because you were too arrogant to realise than someone else could be right. Did you think everybody here was lieing just to spite you? Or do you think your opinion is so great that everybody elses (and the GAME *SOURCE CODE*) is wrong?

There is nothing wrong with an opinion that is controversial. But to say your opinions are controversial is giving them too much credit, they are just misinformed (see BFG above).

"Surely having harder difficulty levels that are *tough* a) caters for more talented players and b) gives the newbies something extra to try once they've finished the easier levels. Surely that is a good thing."

Agreed. As I said, I've received constructive criticism via email regarding my panning of difficult wads. In many cases however I felt the wad wasn't going to be any more enjoyable on a lower difficulty level. In the case of Megawads I don't always have time to play the whole thing, or even just a few levels, again on a lower difficulty. I am normally good enough to beat any wad on UV - notice that complaints about difficulty are mostly applicable to wads featuring tons of Revenants or lots of nukage.

Not all wads are much better on the lower difficulties either. When I started playing PC Doom, it was a long time before I played a non-ID wad that supported difficulties. I haven't been reviewing long so difficulty level support is a feature that I have only just started noticing.

"...so it seemed a little out of place that the AV maps like that were praised so highly."

The AV maps which centred around nukage were slated where this detracted from gameplay. Criticisng many of the AV levels for some of their faults is like criticising a Ferrari for not being able to outrun a space shuttle. AV is the best megawad ever as I said on the site, with most levels being so GOOD overall that they made up for any faults. I didn't have too many problems with nukage in AV - it is very well thought out. I did, however, have problems with it in Fragport. You know I dislike wads which force you to run across lots of nukage so you should have been braced for negative press.

Let's make this clear now, as it's a point we've come back to a few times: AV got a better review than most because it was brilliant overall. The excellent visuals and gameplay, particularly on co-op, made up for most of the faults. Note that not all of the levels got 10s for everything.

"Also, you decided not to flame one map because Dale Lunar would lynch you again"

I was being sarcastic, but trying not to sound it, because Dale is my most active critic. I don't mind as he usually comes out with clever criticisms that can be worked on. Unlike many of the Doomworlders he never stoops to calling me names. I respect his kind of criticism.

"...and one thing I totally disagree with is either praising or slating a map because of who made it."

In actual fact I dreaded giving some of your levels a bad review as I had exchanged a couple of emails with you and was thinking what a sound bloke you were (sound = good). I also daren't review any more Adam Windsor maps in case I have to slag them off. Adam is also a top bloke with a lot of personality. But I do what I have to do. It's just that you, Ultimate DooMer, ran away to your mates behind my back. You showed me no respect whatsoever. In fact you appear to have been lying to me.

"Finally, when I get a crap level to review in newstuff, then I'll say it's not that good, but not by flaming it to hell and saying it's shite 10 times over. (you've seen what happens when that happens in newstuff)"

If a wad deserves flaming to hell than I call in the heavy artillery. Maybe I go over the top sometimes. You should point this out to me in an email. Each review features a 'feedback' option which allows you to send me an email. How difficult is that? It's simply easier to come here and gang up on me with all your friends. I'm not criticising you alone for this, Ultimate DooMer, it's quite a few Doomworld members who seem to have banded together into a narrow-minded 'clique'.

NoPoet: You do realize you're getting flak not because of your opinions, but because of your attitude.

And there is a thing called other skill levels:
1 whatever it is -easiest of them all, for brand spanking newbies
2 whatever it is -see above
3 HMP -average, should be difficult but not by godly standards
4 UV -hard, meant for good players
5 Nightmare -not to be taken with sleep-inducing medication, only gods seek to beat this monster.

NoPoet said:

"E3M9. Warrens: When I try to play this wad, I get looped back to Hell Keep (E3M1). I don't care. It's probably bollocks anyway.
So yeah, I wouldn't pay too much attention to what he says."

I have been informed by several less hostile readers about my mistake. If you READ my review, you'll see I disliked Hell Keep, so I didn't relish the thought of playing it through again - to do so would have been stupid and pointless. I simply thought it was a bug. That's why my review was inaccurate. Upon playing the wad, I found I HAD in a sense been looped back to Hell Keep, there's just a Cyber at the end. The rest of the level was identical. OOOOH! I am so full of crap. Is the addition of a single monster enough to make a real difference between Hell Keep and Warrens?

You uh, missed out on half of the entire level.

NoPoet said:
[BAgreed. As I said, I've received constructive criticism via email regarding my panning of difficult wads. In many cases however I felt the wad wasn't going to be any more enjoyable on a lower difficulty level. In the case of Megawads I don't always have time to play the whole thing, or even just a few levels, again on a lower difficulty. I am normally good enough to beat any wad on UV - notice that complaints about difficulty are mostly applicable to wads featuring tons of Revenants or lots of nukage.[/B]

If you don't have the time to play it, don't review it.

Oh, and everyone else, the more you flame like that, the more nopoet's gonna bitch. :P

IOW WAKE UP DAMMIT.

I am still used to playing individual wads so it's simply habit to refer to individual levels within an episode as such. I see your point though I do think it's being picky. Please do not flame me for this opinion, I'm too busy fending off other attacks.

"Oh right… perhaps you should practise what you preach."

You are right about that. But I knew what I was doing. I couldn't help it. I noticed he hadn't been reading what I had been writing. I don't enjoy insulting people and try to do so only when they deserve it.

"You also didn’t believe what other people said until you saw it for yourself because you were too arrogant to realise than someone else could be right."

That's drawing a judgemental conclusion based purely on your interpretation of my enthusiasm. If you'd READ WHAT I WROTE - I am really getting sick of saying that - you'd see that I was prepared to climb down if I had evidence. How is that arrogant? I don't believe in the Devil. Am I arrogant? Or do I simply not have any reason to believe in him? And people worship the sod!

"But to say your opinions are controversial is giving them too much credit, they are just misinformed (see BFG above)."

That one statement was misinformed. There is a massive difference between controversy and misinformation. By calling Plutonia crap - I genuinely expected more people to agree, and some did - I caused a storm that evidently people still remember now. That's controversy. I think your statements were misinformed. Mine can be too, but on the whole I say what I think and people put their hands over their mouths in horror.

Yes, I did decide to discontinue Pray for Death, not because I got emails complaining but because I was primarily writing for the Doomworld audience. Ultimate DooMer, I told you - and you neglected to mention - that I found Doomworld too tough an audience to crack as they seemed to disagree with everything I said. I also told you I had too little free time to keep on doing something that is getting hammered by the audience it is intended for. Besides, I've got a few stories out there which are winning me a lot of friends, so I intend to concentrate on that.

I have had emails asking me to carry on with the site. Even Kaiser wanted me to review his new wads but I had to let him down. I'd also promised Adam Windsor to review Demonfear and had 5 levels written up. But I won't bother if Pray for Death was going down the toilet, I'm getting called a half-hearted, misinformed idiot and I have no free time. I want to concentrate on the things in life that make me happy, not miserable.

So yes, I wrote Pray for Death for you people, and I needed praise to motivate me through the long hours of reviewing and downloading. How is that a crime?

Oh, btw go ahead and bitch at me, because according to you, we don't listen. (IOW I'll never know) :P *

*better notice the :P

Curses, foiled by my own logic! Heh heh.

BTW, people don't seriously think I'm like Fiffy, do they? Actually I feel that the man himself was misunderstood!

(Tumbleweeds blow past)

Okay, that's not a good thing to say here either. ;)

NoPoet said:

1. ...you should have been braced for negative press.

2. In actual fact I dreaded giving some of your levels a bad review as I had exchanged a couple of emails with you and was thinking what a sound bloke you were (sound = good). I also daren't review any more Adam Windsor maps in case I have to slag them off. Adam is also a top bloke with a lot of personality. But I do what I have to do. It's just that you, Ultimate DooMer, ran away to your mates behind my back. You showed me no respect whatsoever. In fact you appear to have been lying to me.

3. You should point this out to me in an email. Each review features a 'feedback' option which allows you to send me an email. How difficult is that?

1. I was - I know it's not perfect in every way, and after reading your preferences (gothic first, bases last) I knew it wasn't going to be right up your street (given it has only 1 gothic map and quite a few bases).

2. In what way was I lying? When I sent the email I hadn't seen the AV review, so I had nothing to bitch about. (ok, so perhaps I shouldn't have posted anyway, my apologies there)

3. I was a bit reluctant to do that - like you were when you dreaded giving bad reviews to my maps, because you came across as being a nice guy as well. (and besides you said that nothing would change your opinion and anything like that would be dropped as spam)

Ah, now I understand!

"(and besides you said that nothing would change your opinion and anything like that would be dropped as spam)"

People misunderstood my intentions. I meant stuff that was slagging my reviews off just for the sake of it would be dropped as spam! I didn't mean constructive criticisms, or non-hostile criticism such as "I was upset/offended by (x)".

No wonder nobody ever complained about the Thud and Kentzlab reviews! Wow, I must have come across as a real arsehole. I thought I'd made clear that I would reword reviews and revoke statements that were proven to be false. Sorry if that wasn't as clear as I thought it was.

"1. I was - I know it's not perfect in every way, and after reading your preferences (gothic first, bases last) I knew it wasn't going to be right up your street (given it has only 1 gothic map and quite a few bases)."

Bases aren't always crap. I see a lot of the same type of base, which is why I tend to dislike base levels. I'd better start making myself MUCH clearer because you're all getting the wrong message from my words. I only thought one or two Fragport levels were even close to being crap. The rest were at least average if not better. The first level was truly excellent. Level 2 offers super co-op play. Tech City is EXCELLENT. There are others that I really liked. I gave you my honest, from-the-heart opinion and felt insulted to read your criticisms. I still don't see where I praised AV nukage levels, particularly after slaughtering the new map 24, and that made me angry.

Ultimate DooMer, I apologise for my insults. I did not understand the situation and have apparently been giving mixed, or conflicting, messages to everyone. I hope you will forgive me for laying into you. I hope that friendly relations can be resumed and this incident left behind.