Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
999cop

Thinking about dropping the developement of TA

Q: WTH is TA? What's this topic about?

A: TA stands for "Technology Arena", a deathmatch megawad I started brainstorming the idea of developing a brand new wad right after the release of clan -=IV=-'s wad, vexdoom.wad, and watching the Doom 3 Technology at MacWorld Presentation, approximately 2 years ago.

I've been thinking a lot, about whether I should continue working on my deathmatch megawad that I started 2 years ago. Till now, only about 1 or 2 maps are finished, since I've been messing around with the pixel issues of making custom textures, plus I had poor experience with mapping during back then. Besides, I never had pro-dm mappers to work with. Apparently map01 and dwango5 map1 are the most played dm maps on Zdaemon nowadays. As a matter of fact, most newbies/veterans(yes, veterans, but still...) who don't know the tactics of map01 just simply hate it, instead they would prefer d5m1. With the release of Udm2 by Ralphis, Deathwarrior, and Chrono, appparently people who play on Zdaemon nowadays are still sticking with map1 or d5m1, which is amazingly sad. Therefore I doubt the release of my deathmatch megawad will apply much of affection on interests of the public. In the end, I'm thinking about dropping the development of "Technology Arena" and getting move on to something else that I'm interested in right now, such as computer generating graphics. Well, I was wondering if anyone gives a sh!t about this!?

Unless there is people interested in collaborating, otherwise I probably will drop the project officially.

pm: I will be making the final decision by the end of this month. Therefore, contact with me as soon as you decided if you were ever interested

I like maps. I like DM maps as well. But I like making DM maps most, even though I've made only one. I will help you with this project.

Little Faith said:

If you nuke it please release the textures. They pwn.

Little Faith: Textures are the main problem, actually. I suck at making 8 bit textures and been struggling with this type of textures. That's all the textures I've made, unfortunately :/

Vulgar: Thanks for the offer, but I think I'd need more than just one partner to participate in this......., we'll see about that.

Creating DM maps is pretty useless, at least when you want people to actually play them. As you said yourself, people still keep playing stupid map01 and dwango, even though there are a lot nicer DM maps out there.

How sad. I wanted to make a difference with DM maps and have people enjoy them instead of dwelling on the same 'ol levels.

Tarin: You are most likely correct, sad that it is the truth. I appreciate the enlightenment.

Vulgar: Try to find more pro-dm mappers who are willin to participate in this within...30 days, approximately by the end of this month.

Andy: lol, thanks for dropping in but I'm not sure what you mean ;) Wish I coulda formed a team like you did with AV.......

Bleh. Man, what kind of weird dreamy pretense is that to create a "DM megawad." DM maps are to be made when you have a certain idea of what you're going to do, you don't just open 32 slots and try to fill them in and then suppose you'll end up with a complete mapset that "everyone" will play. In my project for instance I have only 6 DM maps planned, and I doubt that number will grow; it might diminish if necessary. Each map has its own theme and its own particular architectual structure (and thus particular play flavor.) I'm not going to produce more just to make a "complete" WAD. And you, you haven't released a single map, and you plan to go from there to a full megawad (if only you had at least 20 maps in your hard drive that could eventually be part of this megawad... or at least serve as prior practice.)

And you say VexDoom inspired you to start. But do you play VexDoom regularly as you say others should be playing Unidoom or whatever? If not, then what's the point? Is it "they" that should play the WADs? If you don't know if someone (friends, fellow IRC doomers, etc.) are awaiting your WAD and encouraging you, you can't pretend anyone will play it, much less a whole megawad. If you don't belong to a group of players that expect your work, in one way or another, you can't expect people to await your WAD eagerly or even join the project. You must do the work and then maybe, if it's any good, it will give fruits.

And why do you moan about people playing Map01 when (and rightly so) you are one of the first to praise it? Nonsense. Might as well spend your time playing Vexdoom and Map01 (on Zone or LAN, of course) instead of working on a shapless and aimless megawad. In any case, produce a map, if you like editing, and upload it to the Archive... if someone picks it up and plays it, cool, then maybe you have a reason to make another, if not, well, so what?

And yeah, there's lots of nice WADs out there. I bet the texture sets made for them and their üerdetailing make them play like no other.

myk said:

Bleh. Man, what kind of weird dreamy pretense is that to create a "DM megawad." DM maps are to be made when you have a certain idea of what you're going to do, you don't just open 32 slots and try to fill them in and then suppose you'll end up with a complete mapset that "everyone" will play. In my project for instance I have only 6 DM maps planned, and I doubt that number will grow; it might diminish if necessary. Each map has its own theme and its own particular architectual structure (and thus particular play flavor.) I'm not going to produce more just to make a "complete" WAD. And you, you haven't released a single map, and you plan to go from there to a full megawad (if only you had at least 20 maps in your hard drive that could eventually be part of this megawad... or at least serve as prior practice.)

And you say VexDoom inspired you to start. But do you play VexDoom regularly as you say others should be playing Unidoom or whatever? If not, then what's the point? Is it "they" that should play the WADs? If you don't know if someone (friends, fellow IRC doomers, etc.) are awaiting your WAD and encouraging you, you can't pretend anyone will play it, much less a whole megawad. If you don't belong to a group of players that expect your work, in one way or another, you can't expect people to await your WAD eagerly or even join the project. You must do the work and then maybe, if it's any good, it will give fruits.

And why do you moan about people playing Map01 when (and rightly so) you are one of the first to praise it? Nonsense. Might as well spend your time playing Vexdoom and Map01 (on Zone or LAN, of course) instead of working on a shapless and aimless megawad. In any case, produce a map, if you like editing, and upload it to the Archive... if someone picks it up and plays it, cool, then maybe you have a reason to make another, if not, well, so what?

And yeah, there's lots of nice WADs out there. I bet the texture sets made for them and their üerdetailing make them play like no other.

I'm surprised seeing your negative response about this post as I read this. Let's see how am I going to break this down step by step and counter this...

-=IV=-'s Vex series was first inspiried me and I did enjoy playing it very much when it was first out, used to play a lot on Zdaemon servers. TA was originally designed for clan !-[HZ]-! just like IV's Vex. However the clan didn't turn out well as we expected, next it just collapsed gradually afterwards. I still didn't give up the idea yet even though with the termination of the clan.

Technology Arena was supposedly designed based on a MP story, aimed at the fate of the marine after Doom ][, with an actual theme and architectural structure in each level. Developing a megawad is always meant to open all slots and fill them in as it processes, that as well applies to DM megawads. It might not work with SP megawad the same way as you have to tell a tale but it does not mean a SP megawad has to have all 32 levels included necessarily. In my book, making a megawad is for serving a purpose of filling in needs of people who desire wanting this. I've heard a lot of people complaining that we need good levels, but the fact is we just lack of enough of decent pro-dm mappers. Most mappers from Doom community tend more to be SP fans

I hope you aren't thinking about gothicdm.wad and such. If there are truly many good levels out there, people wouldn't have still to be sticking with d5m1 all times, but it's probably just the problem with those people, not maps.

pm: Would you mind working with me and possibly Vulgar too?

No. Not the people. DM plays well if and when people are familiar with the maps, and the maps only get better as you play them over and over. Just because it's possible to use an editor to make maps it doesn't mean there's a need for maps. It even happens with SP to a degree, much more so with DM, where two or more people necessarily have to agree on the "board" to play on. It's a cultural matter, and it's not that players are dumb. There's always more maps to play than time to play them and you can't force people to play things just because in your opinion they are better than whatever. If someone wants to edit maps, he or she must, at the very least, like editing per se. That's a starting point, if editing is a problem and you work mainly for the results (people playing your WADs, or making the "best" WAD) you pave your road to ruin.

This case is actually quite similar to calling someone a newbie as everyone was once a newbie. If a map is good enough with great potentials, and as if it gets advertised enough with good recommendations. It will become popular soon enough.

btw, please reply my pm question if you have a fixed answer in mind.

Yes; newbish is to start out pretending you will create a megawad that will replace dwango5 and Map01 without previous mapping experience and no hard evidence that you will be producing such a great thing. What's the point? Just make some maps, if you produce a good number and people like them, then plan out that megawad, if you still want. But you can leave that aside for now; you'll just get a burden off your back. It's like when people complain that they aren't getting good enough results in DM or speed running. What they need is to work on their craft or sport, not to dream that they will be the best tomorrow by 5 AM. Who knows.

As for joining, I prefer to work alone, and I'm not interested in making a PWAD aimed at zdaemon play, anyway. Plus, don't I disagree with your design perspective in general (this idea of making a megawad)? How could I join?

Well, if you're really intending to compile MP maps, we don't necessarily have to work as a team. We may work on our own maps then merge them together into one wad when they're all done. Depends on what you're planning to make to match my need. Then we might be able to sum them up into one official megawad.