Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alexz721

Pre-port megawads

Hi, this question has probably been asked many times before, but does anyone know some good Doom 2 megawads made before ports started coming out? I'm talking about megawads that were released before anyone really knew how far level-editing could go, like right after Doom 2 was released. I don't care about quality, I'd just really like to play a couple of these. I know that many of these types of megawads have been forgotten over the years, and I get nostagic sometimes. Thanks in advance to anyone who answers me (hopefully this post won't also go to the posts from hell forum :) Sorry about the double-post, Mordeth. I promise I'll never do it again.

Heh, I did one (originally a shores of hell replacement - that became a doom1 replacement, and then ported to doom2). Started it back in '94 (leans back in his rocking chair lights a pipe and starts mumbling about the good old days).

Until recently I didn't have a copy myself, but thanks to Grazza (and others) I now have a few at various stages of completion. I do plan on putting them up somewhere when I get round to it. Sparky does have a late-ish version of the file on his site but the texturing on every level has been screwed with and it looks very odd. I'll try and get the 94/95 "classic" (blergh!) stuff posted soon. Then you can see just how bad early megawads were.

alexz721 said:

I know that many of these types of megawads have been forgotten over the years, and I get nostagic sometimes.

Forgotten? There's a bunch of very popular megawads (probably the most popular, anyway) that were all released before the source. There aren't too many old megawads anyway (or megawads, for that matter) and only a few are more or less forgotten (you don't hear about Cleimos as much as you hear about the Memento Mori duo.) And most of the "megawads" that never made it to the Archive (ftp://3darchives.in-span.net/pub/idgames/) were little more than compilations of ripped maps with some slight modifications, for the most part.

alexz721 said:

Hi, this question has probably been asked many times before, but does anyone know some good Doom 2 megawads made before ports started coming out? I'm talking about megawads that were released before anyone really knew how far level-editing could go, like right after Doom 2 was released. I don't care about quality, I'd just really like to play a couple of these. I know that many of these types of megawads have been forgotten over the years, and I get nostagic sometimes. Thanks in advance to anyone who answers me (hopefully this post won't also go to the posts from hell forum :) Sorry about the double-post, Mordeth. I promise I'll never do it again.

Cleimos 2 (made in 95), TVR and Fragport (both made in 2001 but doom2.exe compatible). Other stuff that I've not played includes Twilight Zone and Herian 1&2.

(these are all less well-known megawads, as you probably already know about MM, MM2, Requiem etc.)

Ultimate DooMer said:

Other stuff that I've not played includes Twilight Zone and Herian 1&2.

I believe Herian2 is for ZDooM only. Still, a magnificent compilation.

I actually have every single one of the megawads mentioned so far. I'm sure there have to be others, because Doom 2 has been around for a long time, and I know people have been level-making since it came out. By forgotten megawads I meant not very well known ones. By the way, an example of a forgotten megawad would be something like I posted in this other thread http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13666. Anyone seen it? And by the way Myk, could you tell me some names of megawads that aren't in the archives (if you remember any)?

Ultimate DooMer said:

I believe HR/HR2 require a port. (given the monster counts)

no, but you can't save your game on some levels in doom2.exe

One of the less known early megawads is bf_thud! , which was released in early 1995 and is propably the first Doom2 megawad that I played. The levels are short but sweet and have an unusual atmosphere IMHO, but that could be just nostalgia speaking...

Another good one that was already on someone's list is SLUGFEST.

A pre-port megawad for DOOM1 I recently discovered: the lost episodes of Doom aka JPTR_V40. It can be downloaded (along with other megawads) here.

These are:
ALL 32-map megawads and
ALL for 'Plain Vanilla' Doom II

NORMAL
30lvls_2.zip 32.zip Armagedn.zip Dm2opt.zip
DmonFear.zip Doom32r2.zip DoomJr.zip Helinhel.zip
Heroes2.zip Hr.zip Icarus.zip MemMori2.zip
Pir2.zip Requiem.zip Spawns2k.zip Spawnsq2.zip
Sq2.zip ThisSuxx.zip Twzone.zip World.zip

DEHACKED PATCHES
Batman.zip Beyond.zip Cyber110.zip D2xtrem2.zip
Dot2.zip Eternal3 Proj-X.zip Strain.zip
Toon2b.zip Vilecore.zip

SPRITE PATCHES
Cleim20.zip H2h-xmas.zip Herian.zip Inva2_10c.zip
RlmCaos2.zip

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I know you didn't ask for these, but just to complete the story...

these are the 32-map Doom II wads that require a source port
(up until Feb 2001 when I burned this CD):

Any Port
Phtga.zip

Boom compatible with embedded DeHackEd patch
10sector.zip
10secto2.zip
War_3b.zip

ZDoom-only
Herian2b.zip
Njzd2.zip

----------------------------------------

Large level sets for Doom II, between 9 and 31 maps...
I've got 110 wads and I'm certainly not going to list them here :)

----------------------------------------

Does anyone know of any 32-map Doom II wads that I'm missing?

AlexZ721:
This lot should keep you busy for a while.
They should all be in the main Doom Archive (and mirrors), try:
ftp://3darchives.in-span.net/pub/idgames/

I hope someone finds this list helpful.

Sparky
KISS Software

Longwad and longwad2 combined to a doom2 megawad. A real kick in the pants to play. Old school, 1997, but a real blast. Steve Long was/is a very talented mapper.

Grazza said:

Longwad is in the community archives, but I can't find Longwad2. Do you have a link?

BTW, I stumbled upon a site that has quite a lot of Doom wads for download. It looks useful.

Grazza I can't remember exactly where I got longwad2, I may have gotten it directly from Steve at the email in his text file. Maybe one of these days he will combine them and release them as a megawad.

He also has one called lngentry.wad (long entry) part of the same era.

Thanks for the link. I will go look it over.

Edit:
I mis-spoke, lngentry is actually called entry.wad, sorry.

Longwad2 is about 1 meg unzipped. I can email the zip if you can't locate it or reach Steve on the old email.

According to the text file for entry.wad:
"The remaining 8 levels are available on the May 97 issue CD of PC Gamer Magazine, or from author."

Andy we are looking forward to more of your maps. I like old school too and try to emulate the old school flavor in my Blind Alley series.

m0l0t0v said:

A pre-port megawad for DOOM1 I recently discovered: the lost episodes of Doom aka JPTR_V40. It can be downloaded (along with other megawads) here.

I bought that megawad (along with a strategy guide for it) about 5 years
ago and I never regretted it. That is a great megawad.

Graf Zahl said:

Let's not forget Strain, IMHO still the best megawad for Doom 2.

I have'nt played that one in a long time.It is the best doom2 wad.

I wish it had been so easy to resurrect them in the game.

In case you're wondering, the frames are: the 16 frames (in reverse) when a lemming dies by falling, followed by the first 6 frames (in reverse) of an exploder.

Grazza said:

Thanks to the new idgames Archive tool I spotted 30lvls, which looks like a perfectly good megawad that doesn't seem to have received much attention.

Gah, not Stephen Huff! Well, if you like endless multi-storey mazes this is your man, and he has several novel ideas.

Old-school Doom 2 editing for sure.

Frankly, his best works are to be found in the x-rated folder.

I haven't played it all the way through, but I checked out a few levels (e.g. map02 and map31), and didn't find anything annoying. Difficult and tight for ammo and though. :)

I hadn't realized that this was by the same guy who did the Petra Verkaik wad. Not that I'd ever downloaded it, of course.