Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Crizk

source ports to other programming languages?

This is a sort of an odd question but I was wondering if Doom has been ported to any other programming languages? This sounds like a stupid question but I think it would actually be kind of interesting to see if it had. I think it would be kind of cool to see how Doom implemented in another languages stacked up against the origional C version. It would be a ton of work if somebody did do it though.

A while back Quake2 was ported to Delphi and I was wondering if anyone had done the same with Doom (except perhaps to a more exotic language). Just wondering...

Well, zdoom is largely in C++ now, but that's so much like C I'm not sure it counts. There was once an effort to write a totally new DOOM-compatible engine in Java, but it died pretty quick and left no usable source code.

Delphi?

Isn't that like Visual Basic?

Hey! VB Doom!!!

Lobo said:

Delphi?

Isn't that like Visual Basic?

Hey! VB Doom!!!

yes, but Delphi is better than VB

Well, it (at leasts some of it) has been ported to C++.

Personally I think a Python version of Doom would be neat. If you just kept the rendering core and perhaps some other speed-critical parts in a C library, it'd certainly run fast enough on today's computers.

The cool thing about Python (and certain other interpreted languages) would be scripting abilities you'd get with it. A user-level script could do anything from adding a new monster with specialized AI to operating the actions of a level to changing the option menus.

Torn said:

yes, but Delphi is better than VB

No it's not, you're insane.

They both suck hard.

I guess this is one of those special threads where everything is
sucking everytime for anybody.

If you guys would not exist, damn I could not laugh my ass
off every day :D