Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is a nice megawad to play! I've beaten all the oringinal Doom games! Could you please post a link in this topic to a cool megawad that will last me awhile? This would help to inspire my map making a bit more and just be damn well fun.

Umm, why not simply read the "Pre-port megawads" thread which (as I type this) is something like 10 below this one?

Memento Mori 1+2 - you'll find them in in-span.net which there is a link to on this site. Try under Classic Doom...ah...levels.

You'll find it in some out-of-place directory under in-span.net. Don't recall exactly which directory though so I can't help you there.

I tried HELLRAISER and it was crazy! I never seen something look so awful. I mean c'mon! Changing DOOM that much totally spoiles the entire game. Now it seems more like Duke Nukem (Which I dislike!)

Oh no, don't break Brad_tilf's heart.

Actually I really wish the Hellraiser team would get their act together and do a major overhaul of this mess.

Many of the maps are actually quite awesome (I especially like the tiny map24).

The textures are cool.

While many of the sprites are too small and grainy the concepts are neatly done.

Still when combined it all adds up to a horrible mess. There are levels that are clearly intended to be played with Doom textures while other are designed for Hellraiser's own textures. Unfortunately the Hellraiser textures are patches REPLACING Doom2's patches rather than extra patches used in custom textures.

Also some of the decoration sprite replacements "clashes" awfully elswhere in the wad. Especially those being used in map26 (the creepy psychiatric ward).

Finally many of the monster sprites are simply too small and grainy (notably the Baron and Hell Knight replacements) while other are spot on (the new un-flammable Lost Souls), the pin-heads.

It is really quite sad because this TC could have been so much bigger.

Here we go....

Plutonia
AV
Fragport
Requiem
HR
TVR
MM
DSV4
Cleimos 2
TNT:Evilution
MM2

(that's my top 11 anyway)

Look in the megawads, ports, themes and /a-c/ folders to find them (or look in your local shop for Plutonia/TNT if you don't already have those two).

Seriously I guess it depends on your tastes when it comes to total conversions. I didn't like it because well, it just wasn't DOOM to me. What I disliked most is the total overkill on the enemies! I've played restinpc in Doom form and it was MUCH better with say 150 less enemies. That's my main complaint. I would have liked it if 3 things came into play (less enemies, textures were more colourful, and the enemies didn't all look nearly the same). I'm going to try other megawads for now. The only one I liked so far was Bio War. I'll try some more and see what I like.

Go have a go at the Hell Revealed 2 Beta. That'll keep you bust for quite some time :) It's hosted on DW's front page.

DooMBoy said:

Go have a go at the Hell Revealed 2 Beta. That'll keep you bust for quite some time :) It's hosted on DW's front page.

I'm not sure it's a megawad! :P

Shaviro said:

I'm not sure it's a megawad! :P

I would say that anything that replaces half the levels or more is a megawad. The HR2 beta has 17-ish maps, so it's okay in my book.

beezee88 said:

I would say that anything that replaces half the levels or more is a megawad. The HR2 beta has 17-ish maps, so it's okay in my book.

I guess that is up to oneself as I don't think there is a definition of the megawad.

Shaviro said:

I guess that is up to oneself as I don't think there is a definition of the megawad.

suppose. The main thing is, if you like it, then play it.

beezee88 said:

suppose. The main thing is, if you like it, then play it.

Yeah... I guess I have to plug the 3057demo, even though it's only one level and it's for Zdoom... :P

Shaviro said:

Yeah... I guess I have to plug the 3057demo, even though it's only one level and it's for Zdoom... :P

3057!?!?

I've still to download that, it's all 3D Downloads' fault, it's a crappy ftp. Got a link for it?

Requiem is the best all-around megawad ever made. It's totally professional.

HR and HR2 would be my next picks, because they just have this really unique atmosphere and truly interesting and memorable (not standardized) level designs.

Man, that hell revealed 2 demo thingy is fecking awesome! I'm on level 5 and it just keeps getting better! Those firefights with four hell knights in a tiny little room are pretty intense. But I was wondering, is HR2 still being worked on? Because when I went to the website it didn't look like it had been updated for a while. Just wondering, cuz this is an awesome pack of levels and I'd love to see the rest. Either way, hr2 is awesome, anyone who hasn't played it should. And as for my favorite megawad, I'd have to either go with alien vendetta or REVOLUTION!

You really must play Eternal DooM! Trust me you wont be disappointed...
And you should also check out:
MM
MM2
HR
HR2
AV
Requiem
Icarus

All of the levels mentioned are worth playing...

the main thing id want is, new weapons with new sounds and a couple new monsters/textures. thats what gets me about hacx. its the only "megawad" ive played. man that uzi kicked ASS, it was my fave gun. im about to dl a few of these megawads you all've mentioned, and see what ones have new weapons and such.