Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tormentor667

Best ZDoom Wads ever

Well, the title says it all ;) Give me your Top5 ZDoom Wads ever ;) Best scripting, best atmosphere, best features, best gameplay, whatever !

Doom Resurrection - simply brilliant.
NJZDoom2001 - pioneering.
007LTSD - so innovative, despite some frustrating aspects.
Dark7 - just sweet.
TNT2 - 'cos you'd be pissed off if I didn't mention it :)

ok, uh, I take it we can't say our own wads, so
1-Dissoloution-My favorite wad in the universe!1
2-Dark 7-sweet cakes!
3-Dark 7 mission pack 1-pure fun.
4-Doom: Resurrection-astounding.
5-007: License to Spell Doom-Good, better with cheats.

hee hee, 3 wads by the same author!

and what are your picks eh?

Epyo said:

ok, uh, I take it we can't say our own wads

Oops - I forgot Captain Mancubus! It's bags of fun and deserves a place in my list, though I don't know which one I'd throw out to make room for it. The same goes for TQTrust, Doom 2000 and A Warm Place - a top five just isn't enough.

Episodes:
License to Spell Doom
The Darkest Hour
Dark 7
Dark 7 Mission Pack
Resurrection

single levels:
KZDoom 1,2,3 and 7

(seems that everybody likes almost the same WADs...)

Jonathan said:

impencse.wad

Im the main star.... but i must say i sucked in that role :P. That was pure stupid shit. I should of kill that marine... How the fuck could you take that much damage then not die? I think i did kill him at the end, but mysteryously he comes back to life and kills me.

oh I'm hurt *sniff* pure hosed.

anyways, erm, in no specific order:

1) kzdoom7 (or whichever the most recent one was) which has a lot of neat stuff in it, and I especially liked the opening camera sequence and the 2s polyobjects
2) that thief map enjay made was really cool, plus I'm a huge fan of thief (and I just bought thief 2, frickin finally)
3) and also the train one he made (njtrain I think) cuz it was really, really cool and very convincing as well
4) captain mancubus which, while not really amazingly scripted or detailed was the most fun to play out of any of the maps on this list and one of the most fun wads I've played ever in fact
5) uh I can't think of any more that I've played and really liked, I really need to take a look at some more zdoom maps heh, especially since I never played half the ones people keep mentioning

okay so that's only 4 heh, close enough damnit

edit: lolz <3 arioch

Arioch said:

zort series!

heh the only zort (of those i've played) that i really liked was zort 9... 1337

mock2's up there too :P

Little Faith said:

What about the Massmouth?
Not the greatest in replay value, but quite sweet nonetheless.

yes, massmouth as well.. torment and torture 2 is also great.. of course some zdoom projects have just been total disappointing flops *cough*rtttttc*3057*coooough

Only zdoom wads I have played are narcosis, rtc-3057 demo and doom resurrection, so uh, it's those 3.

Kzdoom7 - Size and impressive use of polys and slopes (first one to do so effectively I think). What is Kesler doing these days? He used to put out a show stopping wad every other week it seemed and then nothing for ages.

RTC3057 - all round professional WAD. Interesting and extensive use of scripting, looking great, very atmospheric.

Darkest Hour - Excellent TC, very Star Wars and the domed buildings are to die for. Excellent prequel in the works too (come on ReX).

Realm of the Green Soul - very atmospheric, very convincing location, scary music

Dark7 - just a very appealing scenario with enjoyable play

Helm's Deep (ok so this is a sixth one) difficult to play because of the speed it runs but a superb example of extensive scripting to do stuff that Doom simply cannot.

Zort (not the last one, the one before it I forget the number) - just a very enjoyable wad with a lot of cool effects.

Goobermans Gateway episode 1 - A very cunning level with lots of cool effects, again doing stuff impossible in vanilla doom

Doom Arcade - For totally changing the style of gameplay, yet still managing to re-tell episode 1 in a convincing doom way (at least as far as it got)

TQ Trust - IMO still one of the most immersive, well done PCs for doom.

Honourable mention to Tei Tenga for being pioneering and Paranoia and Temple of the Ancients (ReX) both for being good. Look I know that is well over 5, but other people mentioned series of WADs and any of the above would be in my top 5.

Edit: Ack, I just remembered TNT2 and LTSD007, they should be up there too. Probably means I missed some more as well.

Haven't played many zdoom wads. Only sirens zdoom, gooberman's gateway wad and my wad (which i'll tell you about soon).

Cyb & Enjay are so cool for supporting me with hours of gameplay, I don't think I've ever played any other levels more than I've played the Zort series and Enjay Zdoom.

Thanks guys, don't stop mapping!

damnit I forgot space station omega and rtc3057

tnt2 and ltsd were also quite well done, though both annoyed me in their own unique ways at times, but still, overall they were both quite good.

also tei tenga was cool and indeed was one of the first, and I forgot hell factory which is still awesome (one of my fav mapsets of all time). and dwforums, while not very pretty had some interesting scripts and was quite hilarious. man, every time I hit 'save changes' I think of something else

I need to play dark7 it seems heh

blackvoid: why thank you sir

enjay: kurt's currently working on a q2 map (or set of maps, I forget) and I think a map or two for skulltag, so I dunno how soon it'll be before we get another sp map from him. and zort8 is prolly what you're thinking of

Cyb said:

and zort8 is prolly what you're thinking of

Yup, that's the one. I got lost with the counting, confusing Zorts and KZdooms so I just went with the "not the last one" thing. Not that there was anything wrong with the last one, I just preferred 8.

Ooooh, I just remembered "The Satan Complex". That deserves a mention.

I'm having difficulty believing any of my WADs are getting named alongside such fantastic levels. Very strange.

Cyb said:

kurt's currently working on a q2 map (or set of maps, I forget) and I think a map or two for skulltag, so I dunno how soon it'll be before we get another sp map from him. and zort8 is prolly what you're thinking of

Heh, if I can get that texture shader stuff working sooner than later, maybe we'll see some more stuff from him (he's expressed a great deal of interest in it (well, and originally suggested it)) :)

kzdoom8 is supposedly still kicking around, too. Personally, I can't wait for that one. kzdoom7 was the first map that really wowed me with zdoom effects...

Holy Jebus! I've been playing Doom Resurrection on UV and holy crap, it's
hard. I'm on level 3 I think (or maybe it's four? It's the one with the
Imp cloning thing and SS Soldier guards.) and man... it's so hard. I
haven't had to resort to cheating (just to restore health) yet, but I
may need to. I played pretty much all of levels 2 and 3 with between 1%
and 14% health with a few health kits here and there, but my average
health level is definately about 7% (just makes it more fun). Now
I'm at a bit where I have 1% health and need to fight 2 chaingunners
and about 5 revenants, so I might need to 'GIVE HEALTH 100' in the console
if I want to beat it. Definately recommended to anyone looking for a
good ZDoom WAD though.

Anyway, I think LTSD007 was at the top of my list, it was very good.
NJZD2001.WAD was great, although I never finished it totally.
TNT2 and Dark7 were very nice ones as well. Other than that, I haven't
played many others.

Any word when Trust 2 is coming out? TQTrust was the first ZDoom WAD that really showed what could be possible with a bit of help from scripting, and I've been waiting for the second one since I heard it was being worked on.