Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
deathz0r

anyone here use MSN?

most real web designers use something called 'graceful deterioration', where when the page is viewed in a situation where a technology isn't available, the page is still operatable. I.E., the core of the page is written in standard HTML, not flashy nonsense etc. unfortunately most professional designers are really graphic designers, applying their page setting skills to a WYSIWYG editor and contributing to the problem.

I look forward to seeing it.

OK I give up. I can’t get the thing validated. The advertisement code from Geocities conflicts with the standards of W3C. Perhaps Jon, we should get the people at Geocities(Yahoo) fired.
I said what I wanted so case closed for me.

just out of curiosity, is the advert thing the only problem?

Geocities=evil.
Yahoo=evil.
'Nuff said. Did they finally stop that "everything you put on your page, we can take, modify and give you no credit" policy? *Sighs* too bad the bastards took over EGroups too. And WebRing. They used to have decent ownership, too...

Lament - any idea how many clicks this site gets? Sure Geocities has its negative aspects, but hey it’s a free service and all I need to do is reserve a corner, not a full banner!

Jon, no, I also noted NetObject Fusion created extra CSS code while uploading the pages. Needless to say W3C bitterly complained about the as well, I got a comment to each word, but this can be fixed (frames even so I hate then), as well as the extra table tags. Well I am honest, it did not turn out as well as I thought. LOL

Lament - Java scripts yes, but anything server side no.
Red_Warrior - (part of Geocities licence agreement)
7. CONTENT SUBMITTED TO YAHOO GEOCITIES
Yahoo does not claim ownership of the Content you place on your Yahoo GeoCities Site. By submitting Content to Yahoo for inclusion on your Yahoo GeoCities Site, you grant Yahoo the world-wide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, modify, adapt and publish the Content solely for the purpose of displaying, distributing and promoting your Yahoo GeoCities Site on Yahoo's Internet properties. This license exists only for as long as you continue to be a Yahoo GeoCities homesteader and shall be terminated at the time your Yahoo GeoCities Site is terminated.

I.E. They reserve the right to promote the site for you, the content of your site is still yours.

Man this is a long topic. LOL

Phoenix, there're much better alternatives to geocities. Well, they're almost all better =)
Angelfire, for example -- tons of space AND there's a script to kill their banner :)

I think geocities is pretty darn neat, small advert etc. all the complaints I did have with geocities were resolved when yahoo took them over.

Phoenix: well, I'm glad this didn't turn into a flamewar at least :)

...syntax highlighting...

I feel totally out of my depth with that, and with automatic indentation. I do my best work when its layed out in front of me, black fixedsys font on a white background, nothing fancy. Its been so long now that I've done it this way, I don't know if I could adjust to another method.

Jon, I finally have started messing around w/ Linux. The Kwrite advanced editor has this syntax highlighting I was talking about. Options>set highlight. No php syntax recognition in there though. :-P

...syntax highlighting...

I feel totally out of my depth with that, and with automatic indentation. I do my best work when its layed out in front of me, black fixedsys font on a white background, nothing fancy. Its been so long now that I've done it this way, I don't know if I could adjust to another method.

Jon, I finally have started messing around w/ Linux. The Kwrite advanced editor has this syntax highlighting I was talking about. Options>set highlight. No php syntax recognition in there though. :-P

Well, you know what? [b]I don't feel comfortable Mastubating when I'm whereing a watch.

Well, you know what? [b]I don't feel comfortable Mastubating when I'm whereing a watch.

And why not? We need to know all the details! LOL