Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

Project name

'ID's Nightmare' or alternatively 'Dr. Freedoom (or how we learnt to stop worrying and love the GPL)'

...nightmare? :)

That's simply brilliant!

"Nightmare: the Free IWAD"

I'm sure Nick Baker would be flattered but... ugh. No.

I think we should perhaps sit on the name and not make any rash decisions just yet. After all, we've got a long way to go yet.

Despayre is kinda dumb, the name freedoom is okay, but here's a suggestion:

Dewm

Little spin off action there, but whaddya think?

Actually, since we are into cute, variant, phonetic spellings, much like the way chicks like to take liberties w/ their own names, wouldn't it make sense to use a font that looks like a chick's handwriting? LOL

shouldnt be naming this "FreeDOOM" as the DOOM name could be a trademark infringement

I doubt this is a problem. "DOOM" (as supposedly trademarked) and "FreeDOOM" is just not the same name.

A trademark is very specific and doesn't include names with a "part of" the trademark in it too. The only times that becomes an issue if there is confusion to the end consumer. FreeDOOM and DOOM are not remotely similar. I can call something "DOOM whatever" with no problem.

Here's some ideas to convince you. First, did you notice that ALL the variations were supposedly trademarked separately. Why would they bother to do that?

Second, look around and you'll see lots of other "parts of" trademark names.

Third: remember all those "DOOM level" on CRroms - WITHOUT permission. Why could they do that?

PS: I'm not even sure they trademarked it .. just an observation.

And last .. this is NOT a commercial venture

And last .. this is NOT a commercial venture

We aim to eventually get this on Linux CDs, which are sold, so it is (although we wont be profiting personally from it). "Free" means that anyone has the freedom to redistribute, modify, and even sell the wads.

How's about we just vote on a title when it's finished? (or at least, as finished as it'll ever get...)

I think we should perhaps sit on the name and not make any rash decisions just yet. After all, we've got a long way to go yet.

God no, that would mean having the debate all over again then. And the earlier we change the name, the earlier we get people used to it. Let's get the flamewars over and done with now, so we don't cloud the release with them :-)

Yeah i have seen a few movies/games/albums that have the word 'DOOM' in their title, so why can't we use it in ours?

Those aren't direct competitors of Doom though. FreeDoom will be directly competing with Doom however, which makes a big difference I suspect.

I take deepteam's comment that the name would have to be very close to be an infringment; OTOH we are a direct competitor and I think that may have an effect. Also, "FreeDoom" is close to "3Doom" which could be seen as a shot at Doom 3.

Maybe we're safe, but it's asking for trouble IMHO. And we don't want trouble.

The name DOOM is iconic, singular, and unfortunately trademarked. If you want your project to be associated with DOOM you should go for something monosylabic and vague yet ominous. So far I've seen suggestions for MooD, and Ruin, which I think are quite good but I'd go for MooN. The moon has long been associated with the occult and low level space technology, the yin and yang of DooM. Plus DooM (and, I assume, FreeDooM) takes place on
the moons of other planets.

also as I write this I realize that many of the monsters' will have to have their names changed. Names like "demon" can't be copyrighted but original names like "mancubus" and "pain elemental" probably are.

If the mancubi are indeed replaced with Saint of Killer's excellent new design, I think the name "Uncubus" would be appropriate.

I don't think we can change the monster names can we? Not without a dehacked patch or something anyway.

I dunno if this fit with our type of license, but if we can include with the Iwad a copy of the Boom executable we can hardcode the names into the exe and make Freedoom a fully standalone game, maybe calling it Boom.
Boom is yet well known in the Doom community, is opensource, is closest as the original exe thought breaking his limitation.
The problem is that Boom include a lot of the original Doom code and was created by another company. If we could merge the two project it should be great.