Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Swedish Fish

Installing DCK w/ Windows 98

Hey,

I just recently switched computers, and went from windows95 to windows98. I installed DCK but it always locks up when I try and load/save a file (mouse will not move, need to reboot). The default directory is doom - and there are three wads (doom.wad, class_ep, 2001-e1) in it. Yes, I am going into pure DOS mode.

My dosstart.bat is empty. My config.sys is as follows:
FILES=25
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
REM DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.exe

EMM386 was commented out because DCK's trouble.doc says it may cause problems. I tried it before and after the comment out with the same results.

The only other thing I load in DOS mode is mmouse.exe which gives me mouse support in DOS. I used it only my old system with DCK. I cannot figure out what is causing this, since I have virtually the same setup as my old computer. 98/95 should not make a difference as far as I know.

Ideas ??

EMM386 doesn't cause a problem, unless you had it allocate expanded memory and you don't have enough physical memory.

Guesses: If you are using DCK 3.0, you should have files = 50; Mouse driver not compat (try to get an MS mouse driver).

Thanks for the guesses..

I'll bump the files up to 50...

I'm not sure why the mouse driver would not be compatible. I carried over the same mouse (and driver mmouse.exe) I used on my old computer and the only that changed was OS...Also..the mouse works fine and I can edit with it - it's when I go to the save/open file menu. When it locks up at the menu I can't access keyboard shortcuts either...it's completely froze.

Could it be HD related ? Fat32? I dunno...just throwing out ideas here..

Anthony

Not a FAT32 issue (100% certain of that).

I tested here on 98se and it works fine. But I do have MS mouse drivers. The old DeeP uses exactly the same system and IIRC there were "some" mouse problems with some vendors - only reason I mentioned it.

You should probably enable EMM386 and get smartdrv going - once you get past your current issue. Make a BIG difference in file handling.

Doing file stuff is where the "files=.." comes into play. I always suggested files=50, but don't recall the lower limit. Been awhile since I looked at that:)

I bumped the files to 50, didn't make a difference.

I'll re-enable emm386, in that case is the files= necessary?

Wierd thing is DCK 2.2 works just fine..

Obviously the mousedrivers are the next thing I'll have to look into. I have a MS intellieye intellimouse. It came with a cdrom but I don't know if it had DOS drivers on it. Do you think your MS mouse driver would work on my computer with my mouse??

Let me ask you a deepsea question since your here. =)
Is there any way I can change the colors of, or intensify the highlightings colors. For instance when I highlight a sector(s) sometimes I can barely tell because the color (in this case yellow) is too light...and zoomed out it can be hard to see what is even selected...

A small issue, but perhaps you know..

Let me ask you a deepsea question since your here. =)
Is there any way I can change the colors of, or intensify the highlightings colors. ... perhaps you know..

Now that is an interesting question - because it's easily changed - yet you didn't find it?

Press F5, select Colors and there you'll find that you can change both the color and the gamma for just about everything. Monitors and people vary a lot. You can make them all "dark blue" and be just like DCK:)

Options were always a priority for me. You might also want to change the "Highlight Line Thickness" of the highlighted lines to 3. That's on the main project screen. The default is 2.

The new toolbars (just released) have similar flexiblity by letting you customize both the content and the graphics of the tools bars.

And the "files=" is not related to EMM386. Files is for .. files, like the kind you open and close. BC DPMI internally opens quite a few and then a program also opens more. 50 is a safe number.

I'm also running intelli software. I'm pretty sure it was the intelli one that loaded when I typed "mouse". At least I was in that directory. I have no non-ms mouse drivers, so again I'm 100% certain it was an MS mouse driver.

It used to be ok:) Interestingly, as luck would have it, Nigel complained that it wasn't changing to the full set.

I introduced a typo in there (fairly recently) that limited the changes to the ones shown in the small color dialog.

It's all better now in the new release.

Yes, my apologies. I knew that changing the color scheme/intensity was in the menus but I didn't take the time to look. I only (re)installed it yesterday and I was brewing with ideas so I wanted to get straight to the grid. Didn't want to waste time configing petty stuff. And frankly, those DeepSea menus intimidate me because there are so many options. If there was such a thing as DeepSea Lite I would have downloaded that. =)

As experienced as I am I hardly go beyond the basic options.
/Me likes clean streamlined interfaces =)

Anyways, I'll go install that intellipoint software and look for a mouse exe. That's the only thing it could be - I'm just out of ideas. In the meanwhile dck 2.2/DeepSea shareware will have to do..

Thanks btw.

Anthony

And frankly, those DeepSea menus intimidate me because there are so many options. If there was such a thing as DeepSea Lite I would have downloaded that. =)

I hope you don't mind me laughing. On the one hand you (and everyone) want flexibility and options. Then on the other hand nobody wants to actually set the options. Just human nature though .. and I'm guilty of the same thing.

However, there is nothing to really change. The options are there only for weird situations, texture defaults or for color tastes:) For example, it one actually wanted to deliberately put lines on top of each other without merging. The ROR thing needed that feature.

So like MS Word, PSP and any other full featured pgm with lots of options and features, there's no need to set anything. Only when I'm doing something a bit different do I check out the options - and that's exactly how one should treat the DeePsea options.

The new toolbars directly solve the problem of common commands, like snap, grid and all that stuff. You wouldn't believe how many times I was asked about those.

I'd be interested to learn when and how you solve the DCK problem.

can i have the full deepsea without having to pay? ;p
that's one of the best editors i've ever saw , 1) ur deepsea 2) DCK 3) Wadauthor

can i have the full deepsea without having to pay? ;p
that's one of the best editors i've ever saw , 1) ur deepsea 2) DCK 3) Wadauthor

That last statement can cause a lot of arguments, laughing.

At one time I was considering some way of having a "student" registration for like $15 total. Never could figure out a way to make sure one was really a student that was easy, verifiable and more or less acceptable.

However, I have done "group" registrations where the price was $15 each for a group of 5 people at once.

I have DCK v3.62 working fine with Win98SE, however if the editor crashes, when I get back in, the mouse cursor won't move. Logitech. :/

My suggestion is completely deleting the directory DCK is installed in then reinstall/extract. In the past if I've had serious crashing problems this always solves it. I don't ask questions WHY it crashes. :)

I have DCK v3.62 working fine with Win98SE, however if the editor crashes, when I get back in, the mouse cursor won't move. Logitech. :/

Of course .. if it crashes. For one, the program "hooks" into the mouse driver. (I used exactly the same BC DPMI software). Secondly, if it overwrites the driver, goodbye mouse - and it does have overwriting problems -- that's why you crash:)

I don't think deleting the directory will fix anything. If it fixed it for you that means you had a corrupted file structure and didn't know it.

Be sure to run scandisk after a machine "locks up" in ANY mode (win or DOS).

went from windows95 to windows98.

Well there's your problem. Find your old 95 CD and reload - it may take a day or two but it'll be worth it. Endless amounts of problems solved. And get a deal more speed out of your computer as well.

scandisk

Blah. Worthless.

Spinrite.

scandisk..Blah. Worthless.

Now that's a truly BAD suggestion.

NOT running scandisk is a surefire way to totally roast a system. Maybe that explains why you have these odd problems.

You do understand how the FAT system works right?

Barring buying some other software (that does that same thing), what exactly do you think a person should do when a system crashes? NOTHING?

Installing again? It's not a window (DOS really) problem. It works fine in 98 DOS mode.

Well my last two mouse/drivers didn't have the same result as I could edit fine right after DCK crashed. If I could find a way to unload the Logitech mouse drivers from the command line then it would be no problem - I could reload them.

Well my last two mouse/drivers didn't have the same result...

That makes sense. Different software, different load points, different footprint. Is that enough explanation?