Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Bobby Prince is a Filthy Thief

heh it's pretty funny actually, for as long as I remember people have always said to me, they've said, "cyb, that bobby prince guy, all his damn midis are stolen from metal songs" and I was like "wow, what a jrk" but I never put any second thought into it, nor go and look for comparisons, and I always assumed they were more subtle than these, but many of these are rather blatant, and I can't believe I never noticed the alice in chains ones since they're the only band on that list I actually like and also probably the most blatant

Well, it's a fact a lot of metal tracks do sound similar, but the Alice In Chains rip of is obvious.

So... does this mean that Doom and Doom2 are themselves sort of warez??

Mordeth's gonna be pretty kept pretty busy then, killing any posts about them. :)

Trasher][ said:
I mean, heck, even SUPER METROID ripped off "This Love"...

Which map?

One of the segments in Brinstar (brinstar 2.spc in the Zophar.net SPC pack) uses a synth line similar to the opening guitar in This Love. I'd post a wav, but I'm lazy.

Some of these are very vague. Anyways, Romero gave Bobby all these metal cd's and told him to do covers of them.

Trasher][ said:
One of the segments in Brinstar (brinstar 2.spc in the Zophar.net SPC pack) uses a synth line similar to the opening guitar in This Love. I'd post a wav, but I'm lazy.

Heh interesting that you noticed a similarity there. And yeah, they are somewhat alike:

This Love:

G D F G# D G D G# G D F G# D G D G#
Deep Brinstar:
G C G G# D F      G C G G# D F
But saying that it was a rip-off... heh, that's extremely far-fetched. That tone progression itself is very simple (and unlikely Panteras creation in the first place), and I find it unlikely that the composers at Nintendo listen to western metal. A similar-sounding tone sequence doesn't constitute a rip-off. Had it been a rip-off, then it'd have been a metal song.

I hear lots of music that has been ripped off of other music like that. I like to call it: "inspiration".

At least you can applaud him on his sense of quality.

The only instance where I think the Doom song might be superior is E1M1.

EDIT: Dsm,s "Inspiration" remark.

E1M1: Grey area. The riffs are very similar, but the Doom one does have some twists of it's own.

E1M4: Grey area. It is clearly that Pantera and Bobby Prince is trying to achieve different things, but the opening is still very very similar.

E2M1: Inspiration. Though the inspiration is clear to most, this song does not have anything that can be said to be "copied".

E2M2: Inspiration. There are similarities, but the rip-off claim is very weak.

E2M3: Inspiration. The opening is very similar, but then all similarity stops. Plus, the opening is really a quite standard thing in my mind.

E3M1: Ripoff. Bobby just transposed it a bit upwards.

E3M3: Ripoff. Bobby just made the b-part a transposed copy of the a-part.

E3M8: Inspiration. I, personally, cannot spot any obvious similarities (besides the genre of course).

Map07: Partial ripoff. The drums are completely identical.

Map10: Ripoff. Bobby just chooses to go down where Black Sabbath goes up.

Map18: Ripoff. Bobby just transposes all the shit in the second part.

Map23: Ripoff. Bobby just goes upwards on the last note in the riff.

Map25: Ripoff. Bobby just makes it into easy listening.

dsm said:

I hear lots of music that has been ripped off of other music like that. I like to call it: "inspiration".

True. There aren't too many original ideas out there these days.

I think it's funny that all of Bobby's cover songs are much better than the originals.

Hey thanks Ling. I've seen people mention most of these before, and own a few of the originals myself, but never had the patience or download speed to find and try out the ones I didn't have.

Some of them are quite strikingly similar (read identical) and others are clearly influencing the doom version.

Interesting to look at Little Faith's analysis. If we accept that as more or less correct, it seems Mr Prince was less original for Doom2 than for Doom1.

heh. Doom isn't the only id game with cover music. How about:

q208 and AiC - Junkhead
?

Shaviro said:

I think it's funny that all of Bobby's cover songs are much better than the originals.

Die.

And I knew that many of his tracks were ripoffs of metal songs, I just didn't realize that he was so absolutely total in doing so. :) At least he did a decent job of transposing them to MIDI, though.

Ubik said:

Die.

It's true. Bobby Prince's interpretations have much clearer melodic lines and better harmonization.

Fredrik said:

It's true. Bobby Prince's interpretations have much clearer melodic lines and better harmonization.

Yes, and there is no gay singing in his songs.

Shaviro said:

Yes, and there is no gay singing in his songs.

Indeed, and none of those vomit-inspiring "virtuosic" random-note speed-picking guitar solos that 98% of all metal songs contain either (by the way one of the main reasons I don't listen much to metal anymore - the bad solo parts are so predictable :P ).

I actually heard Alice In Chains: Them Bones today, while watching SF2:The Animated Movie, didn't notice anything. But they are similar...

Little Faith said it all for me. Kinda dissapointing, and yet, it explains why I like all of those songs a lot. Bobby Prince shoulda plagarized for the whole Doom II soundtrack.

At least all the good midis aren't ripoffs (E1M5, E1M7, E1M8, E2M4, E2M5, E2M6, E2M7, and MAP28).

Ichor said:

At least all the good midis aren't ripoffs (E1M5, E1M7, E1M8, E2M4, E2M5, E2M6, E2M7, and MAP28).

They are all good midis, covers or not, imo.

Agreed, somehow makes you think why did Prince have to incorporate the "ripoffs" when some of the more original stuff was jawdroppingly good.