Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Ultimate DooMer

Super Sonic DooM - Questions

I found a bug in .. map03 is it? The one with lots of trees and rivers (that map was fun btw :)

At the top of the map by a waterfall I used a spring and got stuck behind a tree. I don't think it was intentional?

Anyway I enjoyed it a lot but a few more Sonicy things would be cool. Rings is a must. I'd whack armor and soul sphere into monitors too. IIRC Sonic was able to accelerate in mid-air, Doomguy cannot change his speed once he's airborne, but I don't know if there's a way to change that.

I loved the way the maps were very big and very open. That's good Sonic style. The main thing probably to concentrate on first is making sure you have the classic Sonic number of maps in each zone: 3, with the third maybe being smaller for a mini-boss. Heh, 10 zones might be too much for you, I'm not sure how many maps you're planning. The key thing is to have very different zones, if you know what I mean, making them very individual like Sonic's. Dare I say it you might need some new textures >_<

Perhaps you could make map31 and 31 bonus levels with timed ring-grabs that can be revisited or something? But yeah keep focusing on the basics and making the maps lovely and intricate like that forest one :)

Oh yeah and I loved that target boss. Mini-bosses is where you have to be so original, and careful to make them incrementally harder until... Robotnik? Heh, good luck.

pritch said:

I found a bug in .. map03 is it? The one with lots of trees and rivers (that map was fun btw :)

At the top of the map by a waterfall I used a spring and got stuck behind a tree. I don't think it was intentional?

Not intentional - I guess you sprung over a tree and ended up in a forbidden area. (maybe a bridge thing is required)

I loved the way the maps were very big and very open. That's good Sonic style. The main thing probably to concentrate on first is making sure you have the classic Sonic number of maps in each zone: 3, with the third maybe being smaller for a mini-boss. Heh, 10 zones might be too much for you, I'm not sure how many maps you're planning. The key thing is to have very different zones, if you know what I mean, making them very individual like Sonic's. Dare I say it you might need some new textures >_<

It's going to be 2 maps in each zone (like Sonic 3 and Knuckles) as I have 15 very different zones planned (covering every known DooM style with some others thrown in). 3 acts would be too much IMO (as it would only allow for 10 zones). There'll be plenty of new textures/flats of course.

Perhaps you could make map31 and 31 bonus levels with timed ring-grabs that can be revisited or something? But yeah keep focusing on the basics and making the maps lovely and intricate like that forest one :)

There's gonna be a secret bonus stage every 5 maps (in hub format so you return to the map afterwards), and some will be based on existing special/bonus stages (including the half-pipe). So 35 maps in all!

Oh yeah and I loved that target boss. Mini-bosses is where you have to be so original, and careful to make them incrementally harder until... Robotnik? Heh, good luck.

I have a variety of monster battles planned for act 1 bosses, and some of them are pretty original (and they're all different, given the new monsters I've created).

Anyway, thanks for the comments.