Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
player

Large doom levels

I tried this cool doom level but i forgot what it was called, it had like i estimate 1600 sectors or something and it took a long time for me to complete but it wasn't recommended in plain vanilla doom

What would some cool wads be that would take a person 30 to 60 minutes to complete ?

oh yea that one is where the player is on the space station and has to collect like all the keys to access different areas

player said:

oh yea that one is where the player is on the space station and has to collect like all the keys to access different areas

Omg, what can it be. Collect keys, in a doom map. Damn, it is new stuff, I don't know what wad it is. Vrack?

There's only 4352345374528364590784 that fit that description.

player said:

What would some cool wads be that would take a person 30 to 60 minutes to complete ?

There's just been a load of maps like that released - lets see: Community Chest maps 12, 13, 15, 18, 20, 21, 23, 26, 27, 29.

player said:

Heh yeah, congratulations for just describing three out of four Doom levels ever made :)

Eternal had a lot of large maps, though if you don't like complexity (lots of switches to press, etc.), then some of the maps may not appeal. Some of the maps in HR (e.g. 11, 18, 22, 23, 24, 26) take a long time, especially if you want to kill everything or don't want to use (or don't know) the shortcut tricks - there the main obstacles are hoardes of monsters. Some wads by Alex Parsons take some doing too. Jim Flynn's wads are highly recommended if you like big complex maps, though some of these can be done fairly quickly if you know how. License to Spell Doom (007LTSD) should keep you busy for a few hours too. Oh yes, and some maps in the oneweek megawad, and some of the later maps in 10sector (don't be fooled by the fact that there are only ten sectors used - that does not mean the maps are simple).

A search using http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?search should locate all the wads mentioned above, with the exception of the Flynn wads, for which I gave a link.

I can also suggest you visit DSDA and look for maps where the max demos take more than, say, 20 minutes - that might suggest the map could take about an hour on a first-play.

Let's not forget Phobos:Anomaly Reborn. Although here it is mainly the insane amount of detail that makes the maps large.

Another highly recommended one is demonizd.wad. (Requires Boom or compatible engine)

<cough>Null Space<cough> has a little over 1600 sectors and takes around an hour to complete IIRC

Epyo said:

Big maps make me barf.

Yeah me too. I hate Eternal Doom. I like short to medium long maps best ^_^

I made a map called "No Quarter" that was pretty massive and you had to get all the keys.

Here's the text file.

boris said:

Yeah me too. I hate Eternal Doom. I like short to medium long maps best ^_^

Meh, I don't like short levels. Maybe one or two out of every wad are okay, but then there's Scythe, which everyone apparently absolutely loved except for me. The level design was fantastic, the gameplay was awesome.....but the levels were just too short. I can't really get into the game if the levels are that short. No offense to Erik, he's a great mapper, but I just don't like short levels.

Nowadays I prefer medium/large maps (20-30 minutes), as most midi tunes can get annoying after 40 odd minutes and I don't like wasting most/all of a music album on one map. If the maps have lots of ambient sounds (Dark 7/mp1, Slipgate/Dissolution, Herian 2 and especially LTSD) then I play them with no tunes and I don't mind if they're huge.

Big maps suck, Massive maps suck even worse. An hour to complete a map is rediculous to me, it's a waste of time. Your hands go numb and all the sudden a cyberdemon pops out and you die.

SmellyOgre said:

Big maps suck, Massive maps suck even worse. An hour to complete a map is rediculous to me, it's a waste of time. Your hands go numb and all the sudden a cyberdemon pops out and you die.

There is this function called "Save game".

Shaviro said:

There is this function called "Save game".

Shit, you mean I spent 22 consecutive hours trying to beat Doom2 for nothing?

Big maps are okay if done right. Like if you have to backtrack over lots of area it's going to suck, but if you can keep the gameplay going it'll work fine.

Me though, I prefer tiny to small levels.

it depends on how the large level is done. eternal doom == boring, vrack2 and helpyourselfish == fun, in my opinion anyways

hmm... i like vrack2 its a fun level especially since i made a deh where i made most the enemies abit harder to kill but since i can't use dehacked in windows mode i cant modify the weapons