Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cadman

Community Chest Project

Use3D said:

Dude Rich, record some of my maps. I'd like to see them done by someone else. What do you use to record? Legacy? prBoom? ;)

I use Legacy 1.4. I'll give map 13 a try after dinner. That one looks interesting but I haven't had an opportunity to spend any quality time. I'll let you know.

UPDATE:

Use3d,

I tried both 12 & 13 (nice looking maps!) but I can't seem to find a good route (map 12 might be a bit easier than map 13). I need a better understanding of both levels as to equipment, secrets, and monster locations as well as design. Perhaps, at that point, I can send you something. Sorry.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Rich: I wouldn't mind seeing a demo of my maps, as it would be interesting to see how someone else approached them. (preferably Legacy 1.40 or ZDoom 2.0.47 - yes it works, I just recorded a demo on v47 and it played back fine)

Okay. I just emailed your map #1 lmp. I'll take a look at map #20.

Rich said:

Andy,

Did you ever get my lmps of 16 & 17?

Yep I got them.. Thanks for recording them..

Rich said:

I tried both 12 & 13 (nice looking maps!) but I can't seem to find a good route (map 12 might be a bit easier than map 13). I need a better understanding of both levels as to equipment, secrets, and monster locations as well as design.

I've completed them both several times on UV with pistol start, but they are TOUGH! Take your time, I have faith in your abilities!

Rich: I wouldn't mind seeing a demo of my maps, as it would be interesting to see how someone else approached them. (preferably Legacy 1.40 or ZDoom 2.0.47 - yes it works, I just recorded a demo on v47 and it played back fine)

Steve,

Just emailed a lmp of map 20. Nice map!

Use3D said:

Dude Rich, record some of my maps. I'd like to see them done by someone else. What do you use to record? Legacy? prBoom? ;)

Well I finally managed to record map 12. Tough map when your not use to it. Took me forever.

Btw... I recorded it using Legacy 1.4.

If you want to be bored looking at a long lmp (I suggest -timedemo) then I'll send it as long as you send me a copy of your recording.

I am trying to record map12, hopefully I will get a decent time with this route when I finally manage.

Rich said:

Sure! I just now sent it.

It is a nice start, but when you enter the imp and sergent room, it desyncs. :(
Damn. I am sure I have the 47 version.

Torn said:

It is a nice start, but when you enter the imp and sergent room, it desyncs. :(
Damn. I am sure I have the 47 version.

It was a first attempt so your probably not missing much. At any rate, just to check the desync problem, I downloaded zdoom cab 47 from another site, tried it, and the lmp still played fine. The other site for zdoom 2.0.47 is http://birdnestdesigns.com/index05.htm

If it still doesn't play I'll send you another.

Erik said:

I am trying to record map12, hopefully I will get a decent time with this route when I finally manage.

Good! That saves me from sending my long lmp :).

Rich said:

If you want to be bored looking at a long lmp (I suggest -timedemo) then I'll send it as long as you send me a copy of your recording.

I'll work on it. I tried several times last night. I got really far once but became hopelessly trapped in the yellow puzzle without a shell or a prayer!

Edit: Damn, thought I recorded a good one but upon playback it desynched. It was quick too, 39 minutes. I'll do another one soon. Does Legacy have a default demo limit?

Use3D said:

I'll work on it. I tried several times last night. I got really far once but became hopelessly trapped in the yellow puzzle without a shell or a prayer!

Edit: Damn, thought I recorded a good one but upon playback it desynched. It was quick too, 39 minutes. I'll do another one soon. Does Legacy have a default demo limit?

I haven't read the text regarding any Legacy demo limit but I have recorded demos as long as two hours.

The demo I did of map 12 is way longer than 39 minutes so I doubt you would be interested; however, that's normal for me on an initial lmp with a large or complex map. I cut the time quite a bit after doing it a few times.

I'm trying to record all of the cchest maps. So far I've done 24 of them (random order) but I'm not trying to do them fast, as in DSDA type lmps, because it's too much work to figure the best route for each map and then do multiple runs to get the best time. I'm simply working on each map long enough to get a recording in UV before moving onto another. Just doing it for fun and a personal challenge.

It took me awhile to complete map 12 because it's easy to get killed in three or four places and it is a very diverse map with several different situations.

I believe Legacy has the standard 128K limit on demos - at least I have fallen foul of it a couple of times (it doesn't cause a desync; it just stops recording). I would now always use maxdemo if recording anything that might go beyond about 20 minutes. Judging from Rich's comment, maybe it remembers earlier settings though; I don't know.

Anyway, it never does any harm to put -maxdemo 1024 in your command line.

Grazza said:

I believe Legacy has the standard 128K limit on demos - at least I have fallen foul of it a couple of times (it doesn't cause a desync; it just stops recording). I would now always use maxdemo if recording anything that might go beyond about 20 minutes. Judging from Rich's comment, maybe it remembers earlier settings though; I don't know.

Anyway, it never does any harm to put -maxdemo 1024 in your command line.

Sorry, perhaps your correct and he was referring to the default demo length. Unless I know it's going to be a short lmp I automatically use -maxdemo 512 or 1024 to avoid that problem :).

I recorded map12 in 31 minutes in mbf (crap demo, first time I got beyond the early hard parts), only 80% secrets though, no idea what I missed. Afaik there are 5 secrets in the map:
soulsphere on the pillar
soulsphere behind secret yellow door
armor and rockets on the computers
plasma rifle
backpack
well, I might try to improve it and make sure I get 100% secrets later.

EDIT: ok, got 100/100 in 28:19

hey guys, anyone else getting a segment violation when loading level 29 ? i tried warping to there but still breaks :( i am using doom legacy v1.40a. OpenGL / software makes no difference. i get about 1 sec of music then crash.

The level seems to be just to big for Legacy.

I have never gotten it to even load level 29. Legacy works well on all the other levels however.

Level 29, on my system, must be run with Boom or PrBoom. So, give it a try on that level. And buckle your seatbelt, that one is mega tough.

Indeed, my final exit time for it was over 90 minutes. I don't remember spending so much time on one level even when I played Eternal Doom.

Vile
From my perspective any exit on map 29 is a win. Reguardless of time.

Of course, you are the man, when it comes to seemingly impossible levels. I, for one, would be thrilled to see you storm thru there if you ever record it and decide to share with the community. 90 minutes seems very fast to me, after I have spent over 2 hours on it before and my first run was 3 hours.

Searcher said:

Legacy works well on all the other levels however.

Seems unlikely, given that Ultimate DooMer used some voodoo dolls. (At least I remember him saying he had - I haven't played his maps yet - oops, what an admission!)

The idea of Vile getting a "TIME SUCKS!" on any map seems a bit surreal :)

The only real loss on Legacy is the timer at the end of map 20 doesn't work. Oh, and some areas are made easier by the fact you can BFG in them... (and map 01 is slightly easier, too)

And yes, that was an admission - get playing, damnit!!! (I presume you're playing maps at random, rather than in sequence)

Searcher: Map 29 runs fine in ZDoom 2.0.47, but turn wall running on when you enter the citadel itself. But I have to agree, it's an awesome challenge - it really brings out the best in you when played. (btw, my second run took 2½ hours)

Grazza
I have to agree, it is more than just a bit surreal to think that Vile would get a 'time sucks' on any map but that thing is SO huge. No Mo 100's takes around 35-40 minutes or more.

You will really like map 20 when you get to it. It is just beautiful, and tough as nails.

TUD I had not yet tried map 29 with zdoom. Magikal recommended PrBoom for it and that is all I have used so far. Maybe I will give it a go with zdoom, although on that map there really is no advantage, that I can see, over PrBoom. And yes it just breaks my heart to break the timer at the end of 20 with Legacy. ;)

BTW my times quoted above were for "I am a wimp" skill level. (sk 1)

I am thinking there is something like an additional 300-400 monsters on UV -vs- skill 1.

Searcher said:

TUD I had not yet tried map 29 with zdoom. Magikal recommended PrBoom for it and that is all I have used so far. Maybe I will give it a go with zdoom, although on that map there really is no advantage, that I can see, over PrBoom.

If you're new to PrBoom, a few comments might be useful.

Firstly, if you want to use savegames, then you can't use the "-complevel" (e.g. to make it play like Boom 2.02) in the command line. The default settings in PrBoom (with the default complevel of -1) may throw you off a bit if you are not aware of them, since they include the enhanced monster AI from MBF, and this has quite an effect on gameplay - monsters that are meant to be confined within particular areas will be able to walk down steps that they weren't meant to be able to, or infights won't go as expected, etc. These things can make quite a big difference.

Of course, if magikal designed and playtested it with PrBoom's default settings in mind, then that's not a problem.

Searcher said:

You will really like map 20 when you get to it. It is just beautiful, and tough as nails.

And yes it just breaks my heart to break the timer at the end of 20 with Legacy. ;)

The two minute timer doesn't really make a difference. I'd have to watch my lmp again but I doubt I took more than 20 seconds to reach the end.

But I modified the map at the last minute to make the dash harder...was your demo recorded before or after then?

(if the reactor is opposite the warehouse, then you've got the updated one)

I have a question regarding map 20.

I did a lmp and sent it to UD, at his request, but he never acknowledged it. Perhaps because I missed something?

I was of the understanding that once you lifted the bars blocking the yellow exit and opening the two-minute door you could then leave the radioactive room and go up and hit the two minute switch and run to the exit with the knowledge that you cannot get 100% kills.

Are you supposed to kill the monsters that teleport into the radioactive room, after you hit the three switches to lift the door-blocking bars, before you go and hit the two minute switch? I figured the object, at that point, was to get to the exit since you cannot get 100%. Technically, does it matter?

But I modified the map at the last minute to make the dash harder...was your demo recorded before or after then?

(if the reactor is opposite the warehouse, then you've got the updated one)

UD,

Not sure if your responding to my comment about my approximate 20 second (I have to watch my lmp to verify the actual time) run to the exit but, if so, the warehouse is opposite the reactor room in the wad I downloaded from newstuff.

I just did a nomonster simulation (firing and changing weapons) of the battle to the exit and it took approximately 36 seconds so a safer guess would have been 40 seconds.

Rich said:

I have a question regarding map 20.

I did a lmp and sent it to UD, at his request, but he never acknowledged it. Perhaps because I missed something?

I was of the understanding that once you lifted the bars blocking the yellow exit and opening the two-minute door you could then leave the radioactive room and go up and hit the two minute switch and run to the exit with the knowledge that you cannot get 100% kills.

Are you supposed to kill the monsters that teleport into the radioactive room, after you hit the three switches to lift the door-blocking bars, before you go and hit the two minute switch? I figured the object, at that point, was to get to the exit since you cannot get 100%. Technically, does it matter?

I've got the demo, but I haven't gotten round to watching it yet (cue a "what an admission!" statement from Grazza...)

Technically, you don't have to kill everything as the base blows up when the bomb goes off, so the answer is no, you don't have to kill everything in the reactor room. If you're recording a max demo, then you have to kill everything up to the point where you press the 2 minute switch (that's the closest you can get to 100% kills).

I've got the demo, but I haven't gotten round to watching it yet (cue a "what an admission!" statement from Grazza...)

Technically, you don't have to kill everything as the base blows up when the bomb goes off, so the answer is no, you don't have to kill everything in the reactor room. If you're recording a max demo, then you have to kill everything up to the point where you press the 2 minute switch (that's the closest you can get to 100% kills).

No problem :). I knew you were busy with newstuff reviews.