Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SyntherAugustus

"ALL YOUR BASE..." and "YOU FAIL IT"

Both came from japanese produced video games.

And both are considered funny due to the bad english grammar.

Bad Japanese translations, amplified by groups such as Something Awful and propelled into cliche legend.

Blame SA, that's what I always do.

Darkstalker said:

For the you fail it thing, it comes from a game too, don't remember which though. Someone posted some pics in the blogs but they aren't there anymore.

Not before I got at them...

http://www.geocities.com/theultimatedoomer/you-fail-it.html
http://www.geocities.com/theultimatedoomer/you_fail_it.html

Personally, I think MassMouth 2 should've had an 8th secret with these two pics in....

The 'all your base' came from Zero Wing, but I don't know what game 'you fail it' came from.

I tried to search google for "you fail it", but my best matches were all from DW. Heh.

Assmaster said:

I tried to search google for "you fail it", but my best matches were all from DW. Heh.

Now that's what you call funny.

I thought "you fail it" came from my mind and what I tell myself all the time. :P
well, I'm not that pathetic.
crazy games and their bad translations. reminds me of engrish.com

You fail it, and all your base are belong to us. :P

BlackFish said:

Where did they come from and how did they get so popular? (the sayings)

Hey you, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

Ralphis said:

Hey you, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

what?

I have a cd that PWW burnt for me that's filled with samples from a game called "Last Alert". I listen to them and die of laughing because the translation and voice acting are so hideously bad.

"Hey Guy! Let my baby Betty throw you a kiss!!"

"You're some wierdo, naming your helicopter."

Ralphis said:

Now that's funny.

Little Faith said:
And both are considered funny due to the bad english grammar.

You fail it. You fail it doesn't fail it in the grammar department.

Surely that depends on the context. If there is nothing for the "it" to refer to, and the verb is really intransitive, then there is some failing it going on it.

I think it's referring to whatever you've failed. In the game, it says 'you fail it' because 'you failed the game'. Of course when we use it, it doesn't refer to anything in particular...

Yes, except you wouldn't say "you failed the game". You'd say "you failed" or "you lost the game", or equivalent.

Hmm... using fail instead of failed is what gives the catchy phrase its sense of finality (plus the fact that the object isn't defined clearly.) But there's nothing agrammatical about it... not in its context, it's just not day to day common english, but neither is game over, for that matter. It might sound like something a Japanese person translating might write, but it makes sense both gramatically and semantically (unlike the All you base... phrase.)

I don't think it's worth it to have a seriously serious discussion about a line of text from a game that got a really bad Japanese-to-English translation.
You fail it fails it.

That's amusing, since, why would the seriousness of something matter in the Everything Else section of a forum about a game?

Actually, maybe it's too serious a matter to discuss, since it's the type of discussion you might find in a Grammar or Linguistics class at a school or university.

Eh, I fail it! It's like the second part of my post agrees with you.

In other words, I don't give a flying fuck about how serious or not a discussion (or its object) is as long as it's cool, do you?

myk said:

In other words, I don't give a flying fuck about how serious or not a discussion (or its object) is as long as it's cool, do you?

Nah, not really, just as long as you don't get too serious about it, sometimes you can carry things too far. :) It's cool.

Heh.

You fail it! Your skill is not enough! See you next time! Bye bye!

You fail it is both grammatically and contextually (is that a word?) correct. It just sounds strange because we're expecting a more clearly defined noun than it.

Game over on the other hand, is grammatically incorrect.