Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

Level size limits

When designing Boom levels it's very easy to pump of the detail of a level to quite extravagant amounts and that's something that I feel that Freedoom should avoid. On a similar note, the more detailed a level gets, the bigger its filesize, and multiplied by 32 that could turn out to be quite a bit.

I suggest that Freedoom have a limit on how large the filesize of each level can be, to help avoid both detail bloat, and filesize bloat. I don't know what that limit ought to be, just an suggestion.

You have a point, although I dont really want to force limits like this upon people. I could add a note to the readme file asking people to try to keep the levels small and simple but I dont think we should force them.

What are you trying to do, kill my level? :P

I am making it sizable, since it's a city map, but I'm not cramming it with useless crap. It will take a good deal of horizontal and vertical mapspace, and there are a few points which have some 4-pixel-height increments but I might end up scrapping that building anyways, the windows on it don't look right.

It won't be some Subway-esque map though, I can say that much.

Well, I think what Ling had in mind in the first place is, that the levels should not be like 1MB each :)

Good idea.

Unfortunately I think I might break that by the time I'm done, but then again I can pack sectors and sidedefs, so that would drop it down considerably.

We'll see, if it doesn't get accepted I'll just release it separately. I'm still making it either way, so no big deal.

maybe you could include simple levels and have the bigger levels downloadable as an extra module, eh