Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deathz0r

The /newstuff Chronicles #140

Phew, yet another busy week of /newstuff for me, but instead of heaps of wads with one map being uploaded by the same author, it's heaps of wads with excellent graphics being uploaded by the same author, not to mention the first ever released Strife PWAD! Horraj! Unfortunately for me, I don't have Strife, so I was unable to review it, but you can check it out if you click this link. Excluding that, I had to look through twenty zips just to find only six Single Player wads and a skin wad. However, one of them is a rather good megawad, so stop reading this blurb and start reading the reviews!

• Camp - Dan S. Hadley
    24kb - Doom2.exe - SP(img)
    Once again, this week kicks off with yet another stupid map that literally has no point. This map claims to be a single player map, yet there are no monsters at all. Good one Dan, your brilliant mind has taught us all a lesson today about what single player maps really are.

• Crushing Death - Derrick A. Allen
    159kb - ZDoom - SP(img) (img)
    Following the uhh, success of Greasy Z-Shit, comes Crushing Death, which in my opinion, is a lot more better than his previous map. No more stupid "OMG HEZ GAWNA ABUSH U" scripts (I don't think), but the detailing is still a bit below-average for ZDoom standards in some areas.. The gameplay however is somewhat good, but there's a fair amount of stuff that really annoys the living crap out me. For example, the starting area. If you move to the left, the zombieman don't become active, unless you go up the stairs again and go back down. The somewhat large amount of crushers are quite annoying too, but I guess it's something I can live with. Overall this is a lot better attempt than Greasy Z-Crap, so go grab it if you're the type who likes playing wads made by aspiring authors.

• DoomGuy Variants - Nigel "Enjay" Rowand
    303kb - Legacy/ZDoom-based - DM(img) (img) (img)
    Yay, an Enjay wad! ...But where's the levels? That's right, our favourite ZDoom know-it-all has uploaded a skins compilation wad, showing off all of his hard work as an artist! Seven different modifications of our favourite hero, but there's a new twist with some of them... his helmet has been unmasked! For the first time (probably not) in Doom history, the Doomguy says "screw this, I'm taking off my stupid helmet"! Such a glorious day in Doom history for Doom fans all over the globe. Anyway, his face doesn't exactly match the status bar face, but it still looks very damn good anyway. Grab them, use them, abuse them. By the way, the screenshots were taken in dwango5 MAP01, but I'm sure you all knew that anyway.

• E1 MAP01 - Nick Baker
    91kb - Doom2.exe - SP/DM(img) (img)
    Wow, Nick presents us yet another quality map to add to his growing collection of already released stuff. It's a rather weird E1M1/MAP01 fusion, with a E1M1-inspired layout and MAP01-inspired detailing. This is not as detailed as his other maps (for obvious reasons), but it is really great in every other aspect. Gameplay in SP is somewhat easy, but it really shines in DM. I had a real good time playing it in DM (no DM screenshots are included though), and I really hope there's a server for it on ZDaemon sometime in the near future. If I have to complain about this, it would be that the SP aspect is just too easy, but I guess that's just me. Personally, I can't wait for Nick to do MAP01 in E1M1 style. Download it now, as this is by far the best single-level wad this week!

• The Better MP5 - Dan S. Hadley
    393kb - Enhanced Port - N/A
    I refuse to review this, since this is just a bunch of graphics stolen from wads all into one crappy wad. However, I will mention that the author is a freaking moron. I quote from the text file: "Known Bugs: BUGS? HAH! TOO PERFECT FOR BUGS!!!". Ok dipshit, tell me why the fist replacement looks like THE BIGGEST PILE OF CRAP THAT I'VE EVER SEEN, NOT TO MENTION THE PATHETIC SOUNDS THAT YOU RANDOMLY PICKED FROM YOUR ASS? That's what I thought, now go rot in a graveyard.

• The Rebirth - Björn "Bobjet" Ostmann
    4.8mb - Enhanced Port - SP(img) (img) (img) (img)
    Wow, a suprise megawad from thin air! Amazing!

Yet another one of those damn one man megawads released this year, this is definitely a set of quality maps, instead of some random crap that's stolen from other wads. I really like the fact that there's no real constant theme in it, apart from the last maps. Those type of megawads usually get boring after a while, like Requiem for example. The gameplay is really great, and the graphic changes are also superb, most noticably the baron modification. The pistol sound has been changed to a shortened shotgun sound, so now you can switch to the chaingun and pretend to be a Spider Mastermind or a Chaingunner. It's probably wise to pretend your a Chaingunner, else you'll probably get stuck in small rooms. Enough wise cracks here, the detailing of these maps overall are rather simpilistic and nice, without any of them going over the top. The secret levels are a bit strange to say the least. If you haven't downloaded any megawads this year, be sure to leech this one off your favourite /idgames mirror!

• ULTRAMARINE - FAUSTO DAVID SALAZAR MORA
    801kb - ZDoom - SP(img)
    Holy cow, this is simply amazing! The detailing is excellent, not to mention that the gameplay is really smooth and contains tons of replaybility! FAUSTO DAVID SALAZAR MORA has created a masterpiece, and I can't wait for him to make yet another top-quality wad. I don't really need to say anything else, as this is simply breathtaking! If you don't believe me, take a look at the screenshot for yourself!

• Various monster sprites - LilWhiteMouse
    Various - N/A - N/A
    Note: Rather than have them all spread out and making all the reviews look unorganized, I've decided to put all the graphic mods by LilWhiteMouse in one review. Huzzah!

LilWhiteMouse (I'm guessing she uploaded them) has decided to upload quite a fair amount of her sprites to /idgames, and boy does the /graphics directory need some decent stuff in it! In all, there are 12 different monsters to grab, and I'll give you the links later. Taking a look at this in wintex, it is quite obvious that she modelled most of them (except the Tesla Imp) and converted them to sprites, as some of these are just utterly amazing. I really like the Panzer Demon, Tesla Imp, Scorpion Minion and Fallen out of all these, but the Veritech TIE Interceptor is also outstanding. I have no clue how to actually scale sprites, otherwise the stormtrooper becomes somewhat large.

Corpse Worm available here, Fallen available here, Hammer Hound available here, Head Hunter available here, Panzer Demon v2 available here, Scorpion Minion available here, Shadow Psycho available here, Stromtrooper available here, Tesla Imp available here, TIE Walker available here, Veritech TIE Interceptor available here. Man that's a lot of links to remember for me, so grab them all today!

• Waste Treatment Center #911 - Owen "Sarge Baldy" Lloyd
    106kb - Doom.exe - SP(img) (img) (img)
    So what if this is a rerelease, he wrote up such an awesome review of UDM2, that I've decided to return the favour and write one, despite the fact that people HAVE ALREADY PLAYED IT TWICE.

This contains a bug fix that gets rid of most of them nasty VPOs, with the aid of Espi. To be honest, I haven't played this yet, so at least I won't be trying to remember what I thought of it eight months earlier. This is a first release attempt by SargeBaldy, which usually means that it's a stupid ugly map that nobody should play. However, I actually find this to be very good for a first wad. The monster count is very low, but then again, ammo and health are almost extinct, so this can be classified as a "survival horror wannabe" map. When you look at it that way, its lighting perfectly fits that genre. Detailing is also very E1-ish, but there's a few too many 90 degree angles that most people would complain about, like me. So yeah, if you like survival horror-like levels, go download this and review it for yourself.

Cyb says: OMG shameless plug by deathz0r to follow!

Not exactly related (hey, it's about time I finally plug something of my own here), but me and Ralphis have started up an interview site, which you can see if you click right here. If you want to be interviewed, contact either me or Ralph. It's probably best to contact me, since I don't really care who I interview, because I care about everyone! (but not your levels)

Cyb says again: BBG asked me to remove the link since it's killing his connection.

omg props fp lolz

so is sargebaldy trying to get every dw reviewer to review his map? and those barons in rebirth are neato looking too (which is why I picked them for the tiny image :P )

Ultramarine should work if you rebuild the nodes. It's worth it too, as it's a pretty decent map, although if you don't like large levels, be warned that this is at least twice the size of a typical Eternal Doom level.

BTW, thanks for the nice E1 Map01 review :) There will be a few more of these; the next one will be E1M2 done MAP02 style. It might not be out for a while yet, as my current priority is to get my RTC, Mordeth E2 and Plutonia 2 levels done.

A few personal thoughts.

Rebirth: I absolutely love it so far (up to map24) and I imagine I'll love the rest. I've been hoping for a megawad to make the player chaingun sound like the mastermind and I'm glad it was used here; it just feels more powerful than the original pistol sound run together. The secret levels are strange indeed, but also give the wad a unique personality that I look forward to (you never know what you're gonna find). No complaints about the level design either, there are plenty of unexpected traps and surprises to keep any player on their toes. Excellent work!

Ultramarine: That screenshot summed up my experience quite perfectly.

I quite liked crushing death. I think it looks good, not uber-detailed but nice enough. It is very, very easy though, there's far too much health laying about. I liked the music too, fits the level quite well (though that track that plays when you get the blue key is bloody awful).

THE BETTER MP5 KICKZ ASS. LOLOLZ

boris said:

Um, das Rebirth include all sprites and flats from doom2.wad?

noticed the same, but i think it's mainly just the sprites

/me readies his latest Heretic map to be released next week....
/me downloads Rebirth while he's into it

Black Void said:

I'm amazed someone followed through with all 32 levels.

I did?

EDIT: Umm, you're referring to the guy who made it, right? If so, go play Scythe by Erik, and Real World.

Cyb said:

so is sargebaldy trying to get every dw reviewer to review his map?

heh, no that's all i needed to do with that map. i didn't plan on putting out another release but espi wanted to make a demo of it and it kept VPOing so he touched it up, and i somehow managed to shrink the zip by a full 60k. anyway i told deathz0r he didn't need to review it if he didn't want to, since you and UD already had, heh.

Cyb said:

and those barons in rebirth are neato looking too (which is why I picked them for the tiny image :P )

yeah, those are awesome. he did a great job with those.

Heh, Rebirth is perfect for people, like me, who suck at finding secrets. I got both secret maps on my first run through. Still, it's a pretty good set. I dont like the baron replacement though. It looks kinda goofy.

Grogglogobofink said:

anyway i told deathz0r he didn't need to review it if he didn't want to, since you and UD already had, heh.

[19:45] <deathz0r> whee, now writing a review of wtc911
[19:45] <SargeBaldy> whee
[19:46] <SargeBaldy> heh, you don't have to if you don't want to, it's already been reviewed twice in /newstuff
[19:46] <deathz0r> heh
[19:46] <deathz0r> nah
[19:46] <deathz0r> i'm doing it
[19:46] <SargeBaldy> heh ok
[19:46] <deathz0r> it's more like a "yay your UDM2 review rocked" favour
[19:47] <SargeBaldy> heh

Assmaster said:

I dont like the baron replacement though. It looks kinda goofy.

well, i'm just judging on that shot, i haven't played it yet. too busy with eternal doom.

Dont get me wrong, the wings are well made, so is the death sequence. It's the eyes that seem wrong. Also, I just dont find it aesthetically pleasing myself. But thats just me.

E1MAP01 is like a dream come true. I dream I've never had, sure, but a dream come true nonetheless.

Can't wait for E1MAP02

the wings are rad, but those eyes really are kind of goofy.

Grazza said:

Did you rebirth recently, perhaps?

Do my eyes fails me or is that page danish? :P

The acronym is WTC911? Intentional? Or were the terrorists Doom players! If you squint your eyes, you can see devils in the shotgun smoke!!!

Or not.

sponge said:

The acronym is WTC911? Intentional?

Probably just Sarge's sick sense of humour. I doubt he meant any harm by it though.

yeah, i was just getting bored of names like "waste labs" and "research station". i've been working on the sequel to it, PMS (peculiar military station) and already have decided to name E1M3 SARS (although i don't know what that's an abbreviation of yet).

"For example, the starting area. If you move to the left, the zombieman don't become active, unless you go up the stairs again and go back down."

its just picking up the chainsaw that activates them, i only did that so you wouldnt be attacked during the little intro,

Nightmare: What are you using to rebuild the nodes for ultramarine? I tried both zennode and bsp, but they both crashed.