Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Tasdoom

Classic Doom Revival Contest

Sedlo's 30uv1617.lmp must have been the product of something like a thousand hours' work, not to mention the years of work to get his skills to the level where he could attempt such a thing. To try to beat that alone (never mind the Ultimate Doom lmps too) just for a copy of Doom 3 would seem a pretty poor deal.

It's got to be a joke:
"A complete entry will consist of FIVE (5) demos, one for each episode of the Ultimate Doom and one for Doom II."
and cheated?... They can't be serious.
I doubt they'd even get Sedlo if they promised him a new car... well, maybe if the car came with a couple of girls. :)
If by some miracle, that isn't a joke... guys, take off the cheating and make it a real contest.
I think that 5 seperate episode demos added up is a pretty cool idea. THAT proves your dedication to the game, plus is makes for an interesting competition.
That's a lot of work for 60 bucks though... I know Radek would be up for the challenge... or scare everyone else away! :D

I think only demo's recorded within the time of the contest are allowed. No old demos. Otherwise there would be no point. :p

It doesn't seem like it's necessary to beat Sedlo's demo or anything... still, TASDoom is not too popular; I've never done any TAS stuff even though I like recording demos, and sincerely don't feel compelled to do so. Normal demos would have worked better in my opinion, though it would have been harder to jugde them and their validity.

Plus, I must say, I don't really need a copy of DOOM 3.

I suck at Doom, and my PC won't be able to run Doom 3 in its current state, and I have no budget for computer upgrades right now.

In other words, no, I don't plan on entering this.

Opulent said:
If by some miracle, that isn't a joke... guys, take off the cheating and make it a real contest.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you... but where did they ever say that cheating was allowed?

"4. All demos must be playable in Doom 95 v1.9, Doom.exe v1.9, Doom2.exe v1.9, or PRBoom.exe v2.2.3 for Windows."
"6. The only tools that may be used are saves and slowmotion."
:(

9. Use of the work of other players in your demo (plagiarism) will result in immediate disqualification. We've seen all of the good ones out there!

I don't think they approve of cheating. -_-

Also, take a look at the entry form. o_O

By the way, does anyone know where Sedlo is right now and what he's doing?

Opulent naturally means doing straightforward recordings, as opposed to tools assisted stuff. TAS isn't something done for competitions, since the point is using tools to edit or redo the demos, as opposed to playing through the maps normally. TAS is there just to show what could be ultimately possible, not as a normal form of play. Few people make TAS demos, so a TAS competition won't really attract players.

You know, I hadn't really thought about it until now, but there are only about... (about)20 people who have the ability to record a cheated demo that will playback with the real game.
multi-level means TASMBF to most of us.... that won't playback with prboom in many cases.
once again, I don't know what they are thinking...

Hmm, Opulent does have a point. I just realized that I don't know how to use the TAS tools myself. Of course, the website doesn't say anything against regular demos, so I suppose they could be worth a try, if interest is really this low...

I'm not aware of any TASMBF demos that don't play back with PrBoom, except for those on wads that PrBoom doesn't handle correctly due to bugs (e.g. Hacx or STRAIN).

I don't think of TAS demos as "cheated" - just as TAS demos. Of course, if you try to pass TAS demos off as unassisted demos, then you are obviously cheating.

The whole ethos of TAS demos is non-competitive. It is more like a science - an attempt to see just what can be done on maps once human frailties are removed. I see no point at all producing a TAS demo that doesn't improve over what has been done before. It would be especially ludicrous if it didn't improve over the best unassisted demos.

If you want to see how to make a TASMBF demo, read the documentation for TASLMPC and TASMBF. It is a very messy procedure.

mlin said:

Of course, the website doesn't say anything against regular demos, so I suppose they could be worth a try, if interest is really this low...

Well, an unassisted demo certainly doesn't break the rules for a TAS contest. It would be funny if Vile or Radeg sent in their compet-n demos, and they ended up winning. :)

Oh, and does anyone know anything about iGenesis, Inc.? A home page, for instance?