Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
GooberMan

New project announcement: Doom - The Arcade Game?

Yes, that's right, Doom The Arcade Game. It's a mod for ZDoom, and the basic premise is that it is trying to recreate Doom, but with the feel of an arcade game. How? Thanks to ACS, there's a time limit to every map which is increased through various means, like killing enemies, collecting weapons and powerups, etc. The current map I am working on is just an experiment, and depending on how well it goes will depend on how much effort I put in to the project. The site for it can be found at http://www.geocities.com/gooberman_and_friends/doom_arcade, where I have posted several screenshots and a little bit more information about it.
Adios for now

Wow, that sounds cool.

Actually, I contemplated doing that myself, but kinda making a 'Robotron Doom' (I love the game) - but didn't because I thought I'd be the only one that would go for it.

Nice thinking there, I'm game! >:)

When it's finished, I'll try it for sure. :)

Cool menu at the site! I think I might look at the source, I've always wanted to know how to play sounds with JavaScript...

Go ahead, the source is there for the taking... just gotta do some work on it to get it working for nutscrape crapigator (I dun have it installed so I couldn't be bothered getting it working)

Yes, that's right, Doom The Arcade Game. It's a mod for ZDoom, and the basic premise is that it is trying to recreate Doom, but with the feel of an arcade game. How? Thanks to ACS, there's a time limit to every map which is increased through various means, like killing enemies, collecting weapons and powerups, etc. The current map I am working on is just an experiment, and depending on how well it goes will depend on how much effort I put in to the project. The site for it can be found at http://www.geocities.com/gooberman_and_friends/doom_arcade, where I have posted several screenshots and a little bit more information about it.
Adios for now

Could you make it so that you face a boss at the end of each level?

I have plans along the lines of that already... for each level I make, I'll be gradually introducing the higher class enemies until I have introduced them all. Not every level will have a boss - some might have a big fight that you need to survive, others might have a puzzle to work out (heh, just got an idea - kill the demons in the correct order... wonder how that'll go...), but there will definately be an end of level challenge at the end of every level.

I also have another version of that menu that I wrote... When you click on some menu items you will be taken in to a sub-menu... I cut it down for the menu on that site because it just didn't need it.

Bah.......Doom4Win is almost like that, in terms of score and all. However, one idea that I think would kick ass is if id really DID make an acrade version. What I can envision is a mix between D4W and Doom3D, and maybe a little bit advanced AI to go with it, maybe have multiple screens for multiplayer mode (like the Time Crisis games).

Anybody that thinks my idea is a load of crap may blast me into cyber-oblivion. Believe me, it won't be the first time.

Yeah, but Doom4Win was just a sourceport with a high score table, basically the same amount of use as the Wolf3D score table... I have been toying with the multiplayer idea for a couple of weeks, but I'm not quite sure how I'll make it work yet. If the first map I release gets good feedback, perhaps I might delve in to making a source mod for it (a high score table will be useless in ZDoom ACS as the scores won't be saved, and currently ZDoom does not have split screen multiplayer), but chances are that won't happen. This mod is only meant to be a bit of a diversion from the norm, and it's a side project to another mod I'm working on (see the Doom Chronicles link down the bottom), so I don't want to get too serious (unless it proves to be extremely popular, in that case Doom Chronicles may become the side project).

Is anyone interesting in giving what I have a little test? I mainly want the difficulty modes tested at the moment, as I am trying to get the right values for killing the various monsters. The map is still growing though... every time I complete one section and plan on moving to the next, I decide to add an offshoot to that section to make the map even bigger... so this is in no way near complete.

If someone made robotron doom, they should make it so that the player is always shooting.

I have a copy of robotron called llamatron, where the player is a llama, and you have to rescue camels and sheep.