Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlackFyre

Dishonourable Mentions...the worst wads ever!

Yes, ladies and gents, it's that time again...the Hall of Shame! Place your nominations here.

My vote: Labrynith 2

If a wad was ever made to show aspiring mappers what NOT to do, this would be it. Shoddy gameplay and design, terrible texture usage, and every mapping faux pas in the book and some never even seen before.

motion.wad. It's absolutely terrible and impossible to finish without cheating. I'm sure the guy who made that map made some more terrible ones after this...

CacodemonLeader said:

motion.wad. It's absolutely terrible and impossible to finish without cheating. I'm sure the guy who made that map made some more terrible ones after this...

thank you. i guess i'm not the only one that thought that. my review of it is here. he made one other map, which he released on the same day, called Liftll.

Motion.wad can be finished without cheating. I really don't understand why that idea has gained such currency. What part of the map is claimed to be impossible?

Baldy: thanks for the link to the guy's other wad; I'll definitely play it. EDIT: Liftll.wad isn't as interesting as Motion.wad. :(

i never said i didn't enjoy them. they actually do reach the point of bad where they're funny. hmm, you can finish it? i'll have to look closer.

Actually it could be more interesting/fun to do a thread called:

"Crap wads that you can't help but love anyway".

sargebaldy said:

thank you. i guess i'm not the only one that thought that. my review of it is here. he made one other map, which he released on the same day, called Liftll.

taken from liftii's text file:

Known Bugs: I've buried, not removed, the only
           bug I know exists.
It is funny in itself. :P

Escape.wad really has got to be one of the crapper wads around... It'ssupposed to have a story and all, ha!

edit: lesee, story... blahblahblah, bullbullbull, doomguy wants to escape from scotland? I know the feeling.

Sarge and I tried to coop world.wad and that kind of failed it. It wasn't so much that it was "bad," just that it was so old (I think) that the detail and texturing was incredibly bland. All the levels had pretty much the same texturing, and there were virtually no height changes except for the occasional archway.

If that ISN'T really old then whoever made it really sucks. =P

heh nami, you haven't played many old wads if you think world.wad is all that bad. it is bland as hell though, and therefore not even fun in a fun-bad way. you want to shoot yourself after playing three or four maps. but overall it's still better than about half the crap in the archives.

AgentSpork said:

1337.wad sucks pretty bad.

True, but it was intentional ;)

This has to be one of the worst Heretic pwads I've ever played. What makes it worse is that it covers more than one level.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Or that other one with one red room, one monster and no exit. (forget what it's called)

facfduel.wad

Cyb said:

WOW

There is bad, and then there's "doomjr"

I'd call it "bad", but I think we need a whole new word to describe the pure awfulness that is doomjr. It's on it's own tier for shit. If 1337.wad is a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10, doomjr is at LEAST a -800. God damn, it was like playing a SLIGE megawad! Man! That was just terrible! I need a shower after playing that just to cleanse all the shit off!

lol, you've gotten a lot better Cyb, but that wad just SCREAMS "n00b~!!!11"

I'm sure there must be worse wads than the ones mentioned so far. What about wads with massive featureless mazes (tagged not to show up on the automap) and places that just kill you for no reason?

Maikl has recorded demos on lots of bad maps (you can get them at DSDA). He's simply chewing his way through ultimate doom pwads in alphabetical order, good bad or indifferent.

DarkWolf mentioned:
Bakaroo1.wad: Maikl said "Stupid map, many glitches.".
Base.wad: Maikl said "The map is big and not enough considered, it has some glitches with textures of walls.".
combat.wad: Maikl said "Nice combat. No secrets.".

There are plenty of maps where he has been much less polite in his brief comments (e.g. "LAME MAP!!! Suck! 8(((((" featured in a recent batch).

Oh, and if people are thinking about which of the deliberate bad wads is most annoying, take a look at Paul Corfiatis's Spacia.

Hrmm, right, I didn't mean they were the worst ever. They're just ones I particularly noted when I went through some (Ultimate) Doom maps.