Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lord Raffles

Wolfenstein-esque TC - Help needed.

As many of you already know, a few months ago i posted a few screenshots of a series of WW2/Wolfenstein style textures I had developed for Doom2. (They are as follows)

A fortnight ago I began work on a series of new enemies to acompony these textures, which are modified from the enemies from Rise of the Traid. My friend then struck upon the idea of using actual photographs of ourselves in German military uniforms, and pictures taken with a digital camera at different angles. However, both options are still up for debate.

I am looking for anyone interested in developing a TC of this nature - so far we have no story, no webpage but we have a theme and a setting. What's more, most of the base textures are made.

If you think you could help in anyway, or would like to form a team to take on this project then please contact me. Either PM me or contact me via my AIM name (The Unholy Turd).

Any suggestions on what this TC could be like are welcome.

(PS All of the flags, signs, portraits are made from scratch. The walls are mostly modified from either doom, hexen or heretic.)

Debating over music - should it be military march-style midis or classical tunes commonly associated with the era, such as the works of Wagner & Liszt?

Wow, looks nice. Sorry, I'm constantly debating whether or not to just give up on mapping altogether, otherwise I'd help. Also, tech-base maps are really my forte, I really haven't experimented much with other types. I wish you luck on your project, though.

geekmarine said:

Wow, looks nice. Sorry, I'm constantly debating whether or not to just give up on mapping altogether, otherwise I'd help. Also, tech-base maps are really my forte, I really haven't experimented much with other types. I wish you luck on your project, though.

I thank you - the level design would mainly be based around Medieval German Castles anyway, although we hope to have a few levels based around German Towns, Military Base and possibly a railway carridge.

at the start levels, you should probably use some popular tunes from the period, just to set the time and place. Asyou get more seriously into the game, you should use the wolf-type march tunes to set the tense atmosphere.

thinking about basic gameplay? I dunno, the usual, but it would be cool if not all of the german villages are combat scenes. I mean, you could could hide out in a cottage or an inn and talk to the locals. Then you get abushed by an SS squad! (assuming you're using ZDoom in which such things are possible)

Ooh, those crate textures look nice. Im not much for realistic themes though, so I wouldnt be much help. But good luck.

BlackFish said:

Is it possible getting a new host? I checked the source of those photos and it says "usage limit"

PM me your e-mail address and I'll post them to you.

beezee88 said:

at the start levels, you should probably use some popular tunes from the period, just to set the time and place. Asyou get more seriously into the game, you should use the wolf-type march tunes to set the tense atmosphere.

thinking about basic gameplay? I dunno, the usual, but it would be cool if not all of the german villages are combat scenes. I mean, you could could hide out in a cottage or an inn and talk to the locals. Then you get abushed by an SS squad! (assuming you're using ZDoom in which such things are possible)

That's an interesting concept - the ability to intereact with the local German villagers.

Today I developed a set of sky textures that use the actual Bavarian mountains - I'll post screenshots soon.

This seems really neat. I really wanna say I can help--but I'm not sure I can do realistic settings. Maybe after I finish my Doom: Enigma map I'll PM you about it. (Heh, feel free to PM me once every month or so, though, so I don't forget. :P)

Also, if you use ZDoomgl, you can do the aforementioned ZDoom stuff, the sprites and textures don't have to be pallated, AND you might be able to use hi-resolution sprites. (Not sure if that's been incorperated yet, though.)

Wow, a bunch of red 'X's' in white squares. Brilliant. Quite Brilliant. :P

ravage said:

Wow, a bunch of red 'X's' in white squares. Brilliant. Quite Brilliant. :P

Wow, that would be because the bandwith exceeded it's limit for the day. Brilliant. Quite Brilliant...

These screenies look quite impressive. I'd say go for a mix of classical tunes, military and athmospheric, depends on the area actually. Also, please, avoid mids and use mp3s or, better, oggs.

Lord Raffles said:

That's an interesting concept - the ability to intereact with the local German villagers.

Yeah, but it would be really script-intensive, I bet Gooberman could do it though :P

like you could ask the villagers for info and equipment and stuff, some will be co-operative, some will be hostile, some will get scared and alert a nearby patrol.

I think if it's more than just mindless blasting all the way through it will be really great. Either way, those textures are pretty.

beezee88 said:

Yeah, but it would be really script-intensive, I bet Gooberman could do it though :P

like you could ask the villagers for info and equipment and stuff, some will be co-operative, some will be hostile, some will get scared and alert a nearby patrol.

I think if it's more than just mindless blasting all the way through it will be really great. Either way, those textures are pretty.

I like your thinking, though I must confess I am at heart a level & graphic designer, and have no concept of scripting or exe hacking. However, I have a friend who has always been very keen on dehacked.

For me realism is everything - I don't want the TC to come off as too camp and cartoonish like in Wolfendoom. Not that I am dissing wolfendoom; I have found it inspirational and interesting to watch as it evolved over the years. However, I want to create soemthing that is a little more realistic, to look at and to play.

A group of friends will be helping me develop the spites for the enemies next week. We have lots of old WW2 German uniforms and items, so we are going to do a Rise of the Traid style use of actual photogarphs of people in different positions, and altered to fit with the doom engine.

Lord Raffles said:
As many of you already know, a few months ago i posted a few screenshots of a series of WW2/Wolfenstein style textures I had developed for Doom2.

Hay! I thought you'd disappeared!
I'm still working my mod, which is a retelling of spear of destiny, and I've almost finished on the enemies, and have made all the weapons, and I have a story worked out as well. In fact, all I really need is somebody to put together some maps and textures. I’d be happy to merge projects, but I don’t have a web page either, and it would have to be for zdoom.

PM me if your interested, I’ll send you a list of what I’ve done.

Ct_red_pants said:

Hay! I thought you'd disappeared!
I'm still working my mod, which is a retelling of spear of destiny, and I've almost finished on the enemies, and have made all the weapons, and I have a story worked out as well. In fact, all I really need is somebody to put together some maps and textures. I’d be happy to merge projects, but I don’t have a web page either, and it would have to be for zdoom.

PM me if your interested, I’ll send you a list of what I’ve done.

A Spear of Destiny/Longinus story was one of the stories we had in mind.

The enemies we are going to use are going to be far better than anything Wolfendoom produced, and should be in the same quality as the textures I've made.

Well, the ones I’ve made are touched up wolf3d enemies. Their colours are more realistic, and have more weapons. But there’re still mostly built up from the wolf nazis. But I’ve got others things as well, such as Tanks and Half-tracks, Mutants (two kinds) and zombies, as well as a new death knight and a new Angle of death… I wasn’t two preoccupied whit realism with this mod… Heh.

Ct_red_pants said:

Well, the ones I’ve made are touched up wolf3d enemies. Their colours are more realistic, and have more weapons. But there’re still mostly built up from the wolf nazis. But I’ve got others things as well, such as Tanks and Half-tracks, Mutants (two kinds) and zombies, as well as a new death knight and a new Angle of death… I wasn’t two preoccupied whit realism with this mod… Heh.

Do you have any form, other than this forum or e-mail, from which I can contact you?

Lord Raffles said:
Do you have any form, other than this forum or e-mail, from which I can contact you?

hold on, I'm tring to get my AIM account working agian...

Question: Is the TC Legacy specific? I might be of some help here considering I have extensive knoledge of legacy's scripting and features.

AgentSpork said:

Question: Is the TC Legacy specific? I might be of some help here considering I have extensive knoledge of legacy's scripting and features.

Since this project is just in it's blue print stages, things like this have yet to be decided.

To you have AIM? MSN Messenger? If so, perhaps we can talk about this in greater detail? PM me your contact details.

geekmarine said:

Oh dear God, that is beautiful. I'm in love. Hurry up and get to work on this TC, NOW!!! :D

All in good time, my pretties... all in good time ;)