Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nanami

The Patchwork Wad

Well when I got up this morning I was pretty tired and bored so I decided to map. But then I realized that I didn't want to map, I'd rather script some things... So I asked if anyone had any unfinished maps they don't want anymore that I could use.

I got a few maps from several people and played with them a bit, and then made up some new stuff to put in. What I have so far is here:

http://mancubus.net/nami/Wad.ZIP with contributions from BBG, deathz0r, Espi, 5hfifty, and perhaps other people I forgot. Right now the file is a few megs but that's just because of the textures. I'd get rid of most of them but I'm not very good with texture editing.

If you happen to have anything lying around that you don't want/need anymore and would possibly fit in, feel free to post it here or e-mail it to me at Kara@xfury.net and I can take a look. As always, any contributions will be credited in the text file. When I finish it I'll release it to /newstuff, that way some of that "junk" on everyone's harddrive will have a use afterall.

Oh, and as a final note if anyone is any good at translations I was trying to recolor the Demon, Revenant, and Baron of Hell with ACS but failed miserably. Any help is appreciated. And if you have any Doomy monster that could replace the nazi let me know.

fp lol

Wad.zip... can you give a little more detail as to what this wad has in it? Is it just one map, several maps? Any theme?

*puts on his rubber gloves and reaches into his bucket of unfinished, half-forgotten wads*

I'll see what I've got. If I recall correctly, there's a military base entrance in here that might work for you, and maybe some other stuff.

I can help with translations as long as you don't want like polkadot demons and flannel colored hell knights or something.

the only unfinished map I have atm is an egyptian themed one (using the same textures used in doom raider) so I doubt it'll fit, plus it's got a bit of dehacked and there's some sort of outside shot I may finish it one day

Nah I just was trying to do different colors of some of the monsters. If you play the wad you'll see gray and (not very well-done) black imps. It also has darker cacodemons which look okay, but you'd have to place a cacodemon with tid 672 to see it. I just used a darker red and a darker blue. I was going to make it black or something, like the cacodemons in TNT3, but I didn't try very long.

I was going to try and make a red demon, a new Baron of some color, and a white (instead of brown) revenant. I tried all those and didn't have much luck though. But any monster and any color would probably be fine.

If you can recolor any monster at all, Cyb, that'd probably help. =)

EDIT: Does SetActorProperty APROP_Speed work for monsters in 47i yet? I may hold off and release this when 48.cab is released.

If I still had the old map I was working on a few years ago, I'd give it to you, but I lost it in a hard drive format. It was pretty shit anyways.

my next wad has red demons with white blood (and white demons with red blood heh), I also have translations to make cacodemons white and yellow, and to make barons look like hell knights (except for their horns, didn't do that part)

feel free to steal translations from zort8 and 9 as well, that has black/gray cacos and demons and imps and other colors (which probably aren't as useful)

createtranslation(7, 168:191=80:103, 16:31=80:95, 32:47=88:103, 192:207=[255,255,0]:[128,96,16], 240:246=167:160); //white and yellow cacos
createtranslation(7, 16:47=80:111); //white demon
createtranslation(8, 16:47=[255,0,0]:[64,0,0], 176:191=80:111); //red demon

Sounds interesting. Sorry, but I only have one unfinished/abandoned level on hand, but it's a marble temple thingy.

Okay, I uploaded a new version of the wad. This one has:

Gray Imp (x3 health)
Black Imp (x5)
Red Imp (x7)
Gray Demon (x2)
Black Demon (x3)
Red Demon (x4)
Black Cacodemon (x2)
Gray Baron (x1.5)

All I did this version was add those monsters in and make a demo room where you can see all the monsters and their health values on the floor in front of them.

I also added the four marines (shotgun, chaingun, plasma, railgun) but they don't have their health values. I'm thinking of having the shotgunner have 25, the chaingunner have 50, the plasma guy have 75, and the railgun guy have 100, but I'm not sure. I may just give them all 100. Any opinions?

Also, tell me what you think of the current translations.

I like the gray and black imps. Same for the demons. Not too keen on the red variants, though I think the red demon looks a bit better than the red imp for some reason. Also don't like the caco very much, but the baron is cool.

Is there a tutorial or something explaining how to do all these colour translations and how to change hit points etc. ? I'm a bit shit with the old ACS at the moment but this looks like something worth learning (a very RPG-ish way to make some 'new' monsters withouth too much hassle).

Health is just:

SetActorProperty(tid,APROP_Health,newhealthvalue);

You can set health higher or lower than the monster's normal max. You can also set it whenever you like, and to anything you like. Even Hexen and Heretic monsters.

Color is a lot more complicated though. It's a lot of trial and error. I didn't do all that coloring, just two or three. Most of that is Cyb's work, and some is deathz0r's.

Another update:

http://mancubus.net/~nanami/Wad.ZIP

I know I haven't done much on mapping yet (I got a new map today that I may add to it) but I'm almost done with the monsters. Updates this time:

* Removed the red imp
* Added a gray cacodemon
* Got rid of those ugly orange marks and black dots on the black cacodemon's "bumps" (take that Cyb =P)
* Recolored the Baron monster and gave it temporary sounds
* Added two lost souls (green and blue)
* Added a new manc with only 300 health

This is probably the last set I'll do unless I add a new weaker revenant. I'll probably start with the map soon.

I do want the new baron to have sounds so if you can help out, let me know.

Nanami said:

Have anything to submit ravage? I'm in need of map pieces. =P

I have a zillion and a half of them. That is, if I can find them. :P

Send anything you've got, I'd love to combine maps and make new scripts and stuff.

Sounds good Tormentor, I'll check later.

There's my mission levels... Basically it was designed for Doom 2, givign you some ammo and a chainsaw to fight off some cacodemons and lots of bull demons... there was a cyberdemon but I decided to make it better to run away from him instead of forcing the player to fight him. Hey, I'm still not sure megaarmor makes this all that beatable! It could use scripts, but i'm too lazy to work on it now.

My Field1b level is still unreleased... the scripting still deosn't allow for whoever activated the base guns or base forcefield to get credit for kills made by those projectiles. Anyone help with taht?

Sorry, Mancunet was down for a couple days.

Anyway I did make progress. The new Baron has sounds and I got rid of the black and gray imps to add my dark imp (which I'll be releasing to /newstuff soon in a zip that has a Doom(2).exe version and a ZDoom version using all original Doom sounds). I also ran around in DoomBuilder aligning textures and things, but since I haven't had much chance to be on my own computer I haven't done a lot. As soon as I'm back together I'll have more done.

Well, there's still a minor domain name issue when you don't put anything in front of mancubus.net, so here's a couple links that will work:

http://nami.mancubus.net/Wad.ZIP
http://www.mancubus.net/~nanami/Wad.ZIP

something has to be in front of the word mancubus for it to work. If anybody who's proficient in BIND for Linux can help me out with this, send some mail to mike(at)rdresearch.com

Sorry I haven't been updating but I don't have an internet connection. On the plus side I found something on my computer I'm going to add:

Scripted friendly marines that help you out. Their health is displayed on screen.

You get points for finding secrets and killing monsters. You lose points if a friendly marine dies.

Also I set up a script today that will eventually allow you to give your health items to the marines in case they're hurt, instead of using them all yourself (you'll probably need to, the scripted marines are dumb as bricks).

More on that when I get an internet connection.

Well, if you REALLY want maps, you can go to my site and download Lizardsworld.wad. The downside is that you'll need to get rid of all the things. ...Well, not all of it, just ones that have custom thing mubers. (I'm just assuming you're using Wad Author, I don't know what objects with custom thing numbers would look like in other map editors.)

omg it has the music from my level (the one with the canyon thing and the UAC windows and boxes etc).