Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jayextee

Episode 5

Godammit I think he meant make your 5th Episode, "In Thy Nightmare", the 4th Episode of Freedoom.

Well, the textures for Freedom are nearly finished, with more being done every day. Also, 20/32 of the levels have now been assigned, so there isn't really any problem on that front either.

Sure the Doom 2 replacement levels are going strong but will there be a Freedoom wad that functions as a replacement for Ultimate Doom???

Well Freedoom2.wad is progressing SO nicely and so much of it could be recycled with freedoom.wad... hmph. I don't want to be an asshole and ask for more than what I'm getting I guess, but still, it would kick ass. =)

People could break up into teams to do the Episodes.

I've made some more textures and re-uploaded the .wad

The URL's http://haunt.8m.com/5th.html, in case you missed it the first time :)

As usual, Geocities isn't working today, so I can't take a look. I suggest you find another host ASAP :)

By the way, I just realised that I forgot to mention that many of those textures were inspired by textures in Derek MacDonald's Sacrifice DM.

By the way, I just realised that I forgot to mention that many of those textures were inspired by textures in Derek MacDonald's Sacrifice DM.

Did you actually use his textures as a base? If yes, did he give his approval?

And yes, geocities is not a good host... better find a better one... I think some people out here could help... You could even ask Doomworld (that is Linguica), Doomcenter (that is Ben 'Im-in-a-very-good-shape' bigdog :P) or, why not, Newdoom... or even Doomers.org (thanks to Mewse) or Doom2.org (check with Mack - see the news post on DW).
Since this project seems to gain interest over a certain amount of doomers, I think it has its place on one of those sites.

A little suggestion, why not ask people to give you levels with authorization to use them as a base for the episode 5 specifically... i'm sure lotsa mappers have some kickass rooms somewhere that would fit... or a classical map that could be re-textured using Nick's textures...

Hmmm this post was longer than I expected O_O

No, they're all modified doom(2) textures. HEAVILY modified in some cases :) Would you believe that the metallic grey walls are based on Doom 2's SLIME14 flat, or that the brick textures are based on STONE2? :)

BTW, I had a cool idea for the secret level. An E1 style level, but with modified textures to make it look evil and hellish. All the lights would be red instead of white/blue, computers would have pentagrams and stuff on the monitors, even the walls themselves would look twisted and corrupted somehow.

BTW, I had a cool idea for the secret level. An E1 style level, but with modified textures to make it look evil and hellish. All the lights would be red instead of white/blue, computers would have pentagrams and stuff on the monitors, even the walls themselves would look twisted and corrupted somehow.

Sounds like a VERY good idea indeed :)

Geocities was just temporary until I got the site completed. I was gonna approach the usuals around this community for hosting once it was done.
Heavilly modified textures are good. Especially if someone makes a STARHELL replacement for the STARTAN textures :)

Yet another update to the textures. Some evil looking versions of e1 textures are in now, although note that the N5SUBVxx textures are temporary and will eventually be made to look better.

That URL again: http://haunt.8m.com/5th.html

I personally like the N5BRKA textures. Actually all of them are good. They're nice and dark and would make plenty of maps eerie and E2M4-ish.

Ah,the page loaded today :-o

It looks great. I see you already did an episode title replacement :)

We have textures, we have an idea. Gentlemen; start your editors!

I've also been playing around with the source code of various ports. It's gonna be hella easy to implement episode 5 support in them.

I'm currently working on a level, of which the theme is a combination of base textures, and those nasty, organinc looking ones (SFLR) (SK_SNAKE) (SKINTEK).. etc

The name of the level is "Self-Aware" It can be very difficult, considering you only start with a pistol. and the first monster is a pink demon. (I was thinking of this being a candidate for E5m1) the main feature is the eye switches, which "see" you, and you can shoot them, causing the level to "defend" itself. or open a door, either way.

I'll be done with it soon, it's about 1/3 done.

The eye switches are a good idea, especially the shooting them bit. Put in as many new textures that will fit the theme of the level as you need, and check out NiGHTMARE's WAD up there for a few more textures.

BTW, the site design has been updated a bit. The menu is now pretty much complete (although rather primitive compared to the menus I normally do) but only two of the links work at the moment. I will be working on the design of the rest of the site now and filling it with information and stuff.
It's pretty safe to say myself and NiGHTMARE are members of the project, and it was Jayextee's idea in the first place so he logically should be the head of the project (confirmation please?) DiSTuRBeD, will you be making some maps for this project? I am just checking all this so I can fix up the official members section on the web page.
Also, will we be using the competition idea for the maps or will we be assigning maps to various authors?

Follow Freedoom's path:
Give the episode theme CLEARLY. I personaly think Nick's idea to revisit classic maps an hellish way is cool, but there are lots of other ways to make nightmarish maps.
Put a minimal member list and ask for public submissions. Tell people they must allow others to modify their maps to re-submit to 'In Thy Nightmares'. Then fill the list with names of submitters.
You can also ask for very little levels... like a guy's got an idea for a single room: let him submit it and have it used by others.
Put a proposed story section as we'll need an inter-episode screen for sure.
Put Nick's textures (with his authorization) viewable to the public and ask for submissions too.
Make a music section.

Maybe, as you have to deal with Doom source, maybe think about adding some monsters which could be modified versions of classic ones (since this is supposed to be an episode for id to distribute that shouldn't be a problem - IF they wanna distribute it). You would only have to had a thing number and use code for the classic monster. Just a cosmetic change somehow ;)

Hmmm... that's about it.

Update: oh! And release a wad often... like take Nick's wad as a base and add the menu gfx for the time being... same with source ports.

I think we should run this as a competition. I'm not sure where we should set the deadline. The 9 best maps gets picked out, and together with the beta crew, the mappers work on their maps to make them perfect :)

We should have a few judges lined up. These would act as the beta crew too. Say, two judges who focus on the gameplay aspects of the maps, and two who focus on making it look good.

I propose myself and Opulent (doomworld.com/sda) as gameplay judges (if Opulent wants to)

I might do a map, i'm downloading the textures right now :)

Maybe we should have a small program that converts E1M* to E5M*. That way, the maps can be run in vanilla doom or our new exe. That would be great!

Yes, I've proposed this basic idea many a time. So... let's do it. Again, you can just start submitting maps to me and I'll be a self proclaimed judge for the time being until others of more reputable stature step forward. The theme? Well, for now I suppose we should keep it open. I have personal preferences to some criteria for all the levels, but since no one is really taking initiative to get this thing actually rolling, I say just start working on maps now and sending what you have lying around that you like until some sort of consensus emerges among the community on what sorta criteria the maps should be held to.

My personal criteria is to have them not be overly detailed, unless the detail really has a purpose and is used sparingly. But for the most part, detail should be about on par with the originals. The other thing I would personally like to see is architecture and level sizes on par with doom as well. Architecture I mean small rooms and similar architecture style. I particularly liked the architecture and room size of Espi's level. Sure, the detail of the rooms could have been more sophisticated, but even so, very suiting, IMO, to DOOM's character and engine. Maybe a good focus would be having the episode really evolve throughout. That was one thing I never really liked about episode one. It didn't evolve that much. It's evolution was really good for what it was, it just wasn't that much change from level 1 to level 8. There are all sorts of evolution styles to be done. From small to big, from light to dark, from tech/moon base to hell from spacious to tight quarters.

I think people should just get to work. Get the spirit of a community project going and people will have more invested interest and perhaps a consensus will slowly evolve as to the criteria for the episode and how it should be assembled etc.

But most importantly I think is to do as Nike would have you do.

BASF - We don't make a lot of the products you buy. We make a lot of the products you buy better.

I just played e1m7 of the e1contest and it, like e1m8, had mad potential. But it was sorta unfinished and the secrets weren't so well hidden and it could use some serious touching up and refing and detailing. Yes, I admit it. It was a little dull. But it really had the e1 atmosphere and feel. So it gets mad props from me. But it seriously requires the aid of BASF. So maybe we could make this doom community project idea an e1 episode style one. People could take the good maps from the e1 contest and polish them with the permission from the respective authors in addition to making new e1 wads from scratch.

Hellbent, read the other posts more carefully! :) I've already stepped forward as a judge, so i guess it's you and me.

The theme has been decided. Hellified base. We have new textures already, there's an url for them somewhere on page 2 of this thread. To further describe my idea of what the theme should be like, i have uploaded the start of my map:

http://lmp.netfirms.com/lmps/upload/disturbed/e5_MS.zip

Pretty dark, bright stuff usually blinking, blood in the ceiling.. i'm pretty happy with it now. One thing i think is important for the episode; No flames for lighting. And lighting is the key to this episode's style IMO. Mostly shadows, and some bright areas :)
I do urge everyone to be creative and not blindly follow this map tho. Variation is important.

I think the levels should progress from smallish and tight to pretty big and open.

Btw, i'll draw a sky texture. so there's one less thing to do :)

It seems a few people have taken over control of the project, but I just have a few questions... first it started off as the dream idea, and then get's changed to hellish base? or.. what? are people just assuming control of the project and making their own changes at will...? just because you might like a certain sky or certain theme doesn't mean everyone else will... I have a bad feeling this project might not make it anywhere... but who knows...

Well the hellish base can fit in to the Doom Guy's nightmares theme. To give authors total creative freedom, the idea should be the nightmare idea, which means they can do hellified bases or other things (example: the skin map submerge is working on). The only limits you have with this theme are your imagination and the Doom engine itself.
I'll be aiming to have the page finished within 12 hours from now. From there, everything should seem alot clearer (I hope)

I have the same feeling Chaos. I think these projects are impossible to be done with lots of people because everyone has their utopian doom episode in mind, at least I know I do.

how abotu this for a episode name? im not sure how many are familiar with iron maiden but.."hallowed be thy name" actually im not sure how much sene tha twoudl make, but itsure sounds cool. and i think i hit the wrong button when went to reply before, i was wonderin if i could make the music for the game. it woudl be best if this would be played ib a source port that allows mp3, or .wav. i could try midi though. i play really evil sounding power metal. so bassically classical played on distorted guitar. i could do pretty much any style. let me know what style you'd want for the game and i could send you a sample of my shit..i mean work. yeah...id love to do it in robert rince style