Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Zell

how do i find out which doom i have?

how do i find out which version of D2 i have? I need to upgrade but i don't know what version im at, I know im not at v1.9 .

crap, never mind i still didnt get the right patch. =(
Is there a patch from any version to 1.9?

The readme should say what version it is or if you can execute the engine it'll say at start-up. Plus, the patches might not work if you're missing files, like the EXE. The official patches are (officially) here:

ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/

They don't support the warezed v1.666 of DOOM II, of course.

shit i deleted my doom2.exe =(
can i still use ZDoom to find out which version i have?
oh yeah, and becuase im a moron i overwrote m readme with a diffrent one from a pwad...

I had a similar problem recently; my Doom II files got corrupted, but I had a v1.666 backup. I don't think the level file (Doom2.wad) has been modified between 1.666 and 1.9 though. If you have a Doom2.exe file from Final Doom, you can use that to substitute. That's what I did.

Patches & shareware can be found at Doomworld as well. But you'll need the .exe in order to make it work. Suggestion: download a shareware executable and try to patch shareware executable + your registered IWAD. I'll probably give a load of errors when running, but with any luck it might still patch your IWAD to v1.9.

Or, of course, re-install.

Yeah surely re-installing is really the only way to go now...

oh wait, you were a moron/idiot and lost your originals...? =P

ixfd64 said:

.... I don't think the level file (Doom2.wad) has been modified between 1.666 and 1.9 though....

It has - in underhalls (map 02) there are no bars to the left when you enter the first door.
In 1.666 they were there, in 1.9 they weren't for some unknown reason.

pritch said:

Yeah surely re-installing is really the only way to go now...

oh wait, you were a moron/idiot and lost your originals...? =P

yes =P but ill find a way...some how =D

You can download doom2.exe from this very site (after waiting in the fucking download qeue for an hour), the stuff in the wad is copyrighted, not the exe file, so go and get it!

Zell said:

yes =P but ill find a way...some how =D

Assuming you're not trying to pirate it, still: why go to all this trouble and risk looking like a silly warez kiddie? Go and buy the damn thing; it's what, $5 now? Don't even need to lift yer ass off the chair - you can buy it online.

i have the regestired iwad. If you really want to here my story, here it is:

I was compressing everything ot move it over to my computer after i reinstalled windows. But, i didnt exactly zip it normally. I used the zip installer, to see if it compresses better...(ack..just shoulda used google to find out) and i have my d2 directory named doom2. Win it made the .exe, it made doom2.exe, replaces the game runner with zip archive. So thats it, my story of sutpidity :P

I, too, had some funky problems with an older ver of WinZip: "Normal" compression would yield good results, while "Max" invariably produced corrupted archives, some of which WinRAR - oddly enough - was able to handle.

I was dumb enough to zip up the registry with it before formatting the system drive, once, heheh. All the program settings, ICQ contacts and file associations were lost, some irrevocably. It is not immediately apparent from your post just what the problem you had was, but if it is only the DOOM([]) installation, the loss is minimal.

Ehh for some Reason Because im on Windows Xp Patches dont seem to work right....
If Anyone Can Send me The Replacement Files For Doom2 v1.9 like uhh DOOM2.Wad i think updates it right? or do i need a replacement of the .exe file too?

Edit* Im using Doom2 v1.666 which i still have the Cd to.It Was The First Cd they released in stores for Doom2 in 94 95 i dont really remember cuz i was only 4 or 5 so my dad bought it.

Don't even ask for the iwad on these boards!!!!

You will not get it!! You will only be banned as a moron.

Like never_again mentioned above, buy the stupid thing at ebay or something it is only about 5 bucks.
Sheesh!

I HAVE THE DAMN IWAD JEEESH!! LMAO
i just need to figure out the version which i think i can do now.

Reinstall to get your exe back and run it with -file some.wad

The wad doesn't even have to exist. When it pauses with the this version of Doom has been modified stuff, you can see the version number at the top of the screen.

There were some other weird, minor differences between DOOM II v1.666 and later versions, including a node error on MAP18 in the gray bunker thing that a Revenant and a bunch of Imps come out of when you try to go up the stairs in front of it. You could see through the right wall from inside, like it wasn't even there.

The error was the result of an improperly flipped seg, a bug which was in several node builders, including BSP, for a long time. It was fixed in MAP18 by moving the right wall of the bunker over a few pixels, which nudged the node builder into correct behavior. If you look at the two sides of the door of the bunker in v1.9, you will see that the one on your right is indeed thicker than the one on the left ;)

Interestingly, several door tracks in that level are still missing their textures even in v1.9.

The northern doortrack of the red key door on Crusher (map06) still causes a freeze when groped <g>.

It's intersting to note that the level itself is the second oldest in DOOM[] (after Refueling Base, map10, which is as old as the alphas). The bug survived them all ...

Well if you're honest and you had a registered copy, I think it's allowed for
you to warez0r it now heh.
I don't claim this is correct, but doesnot ZDoom -- per README -- only run
"with a Doom2 v1.9 IWAD"? If so, how could Zell test what his "level v2" looks
like?

Hirogen2 said:
Well if you're honest and you had a registered copy, I think it's allowed for
you to warez0r it now heh.

What do you do when your computer monitor accidentally falls and breaks, you steal a new one?

Hahahahaha. That's funny. No real cost in copying some bytes. I'm sorry, but that's so wrong it's not funny. Bandwidth costs? The costs to you for paying for your internet? The guy running the server you get the file from pays that as well you know, sheeesh.