Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ultraviolet

BEFORE you release your wad...

NiGHTMARE said:

/me wishes someone would put a notice about thread bumping in the Forum FAQ.

Eh? This thread is sticked.

It is? Well I pretty much only ever use 'View New Posts' so I wouldn't know :) But my point is still valid ;)

RendermaN said:
Who even listens to the MIDI sound any more

Me!

But my point is I allways listen to Comercial music cds or MODs/MP3s when playing doom and I just crank the sound effects and turn off midi.

Oh... I myself find external music to be quite annoying while playing.

I would prefer no one included midi sound in wads.

No one at all?

I say icluding new MUSs in the PWAD is cool, especially if they are new or otherwise freely available and they fit well; choosing the music for the map is a big part of the design and I wouldn't disregard it, not would I fail to see any failings in this respect were the designer careless or lame about it.

If its a must, have a link to mp3s of good quality sound and let me burn them to cd or play them in a seperate process in the background.

Eh, Everyone has to have a CD-ROM burner now to play WADs with their corresponding music, then? Okay...

Ultimately, if you ask me, on these matters it's probably best to follow what Shaviro said above, paraphrasing quite loosely; "dude, build your mod or wad however you want... be tiddy and sensible, but include whatever you prefer."

RendermaN said:
Who even listens to the MIDI sound any more

I do - there are some great tunes out there, and with a decent sound card (like mine) they sound even better. Besides, some classic episodes feel so much better with their midi tunes.

But my point is I allways listen to Comercial music cds or MODs/MP3s when playing doom and I just crank the sound effects and turn off midi.

So do I (dance and metal albums are great for DooMing), but I also listen to midi tunes. (especially good for tuneless newstuff wads when reviewing)[/quote]

I would prefer no one included midi sound in wads.

When you have nearly 40 tunes, it makes a lot of sense rather than using 40 mp3's. Besides, the tunes I've chosen sound great. And many popular DooM tunes are midis anyway.

If its a must, have a link to mp3s of good quality sound and let me burn them to cd or play them in a seperate process in the background.

Three things - 1, not every midi tune will have an mp3 version, 2, the author won't be able to or want to go looking for mp3 versions (anyone wanting mp3's can look for them themselves) and 3, not everyone needs to burn them to cd and play them in the background (which is far more fiddly anyway).

Geesh! Fussin a bout MIDIs? MODs and MP3s are nice, but MUS and MIDs are useful and SMALL. Try fitting an entire album on a floppy- and I still use them. WA HA HA HA HA HA- I can cart music around on a floppy and enjoy it. Besides, What would Wolfenstein EX be without original music?

Python_Junkie said:

About the multiple wads peeve:

What if one of the wads is the actual mod/tc/megawad itself but the others are skins?

Sorry to nitpick.

Ick. Skins should be released seperately.

Ultraviolet said:

Ick. Skins should be released seperately.

Python_Junkie said:

What if the seperate skins were made EXCLUSIVELY for that mod?

Well, if the mod is for Zdoom, you have no choice other than putting skins in a seperate WAD. Zdoom is intentionally coded to accept only skin related stuff in WADs containing skins. So, if you make a TC, with all the TC stuff and some skins in one WAD, it will not load as you intended in Zdoom.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

That's a bit off. What do they expect us to use instead as a cheap, quick and convenient way to transport stuff around on and be able to reuse it afterwards?

Get a USB disk-on-key.

WE DONT ALL FUCKING HAVE RELIABLE, PAID WEBHOSTING, WE DONT ALL HAVE FUCKING BROADBAND OR T-1'S AND WE DONT ALL HAVE FUCKING CD WRITERS! AAAAAGGHGH!

I just want to say one thing, one problem I see with a lot of maps is they leave weapons like the plasma rifle right out in the middle of the map for everyone.
Skulltag has an example of a good map and a bad one on this. In one map the plasma rifle is relativly easy to get, but if you screw up you get stuck in a pit of lava, and you usualy only get one chance before someone rockets your ass. On another though it's just sitting there right in the middle of the level in the grass and it's usualy the first weapon everyone goes for, and then to the rocket launcher which is directly infront of it. Or vice versa, but if you get the rocket launcher first people usualy plasma ya to death.
By the way, if anyone else has mention bad item placement, sorry! I didn't read the thread. ^_^

I leave a chaingun sitting out in the open, a plasma rifle in some small areas, usually somewhat dangerous, and I have arocketlauncher in a base with respawning ammo. There's a super-shotty sitting in a sniper tower, and backpacks galore tucked away in an area where you can't see a floor or ceiling. Is this bad placement?

boris said:

Cheap? I believe CD-R are cheaper nowadays. Quick? Floppy disks are ass slow. Conveniet? Not if you want to transport anything that's bigger than 1.4mb. Plus, floppy disks are extremely unreliable. You just have to give them a harsh look and the data on them is damaged. BTW, you did hear of CD-RW, didn't you?

hmm, a comparison...

document.doc (5 kb) on floppy- 15 seconds
document.doc (5 kb) on Cd-R- 45+seconds.

Csonicgo said:

hmm, a comparison...

A comparison...
40 meg doom wad (say, something on the order of massm2):

floppy: 300 hours
cdr: 45 seconds

Csonicgo said:

hmm, a comparison...

Even with a lead in and lead out I would bet less than 45 seconds on a modern burner, and I'd rather spend 3 times the amount on writing the CD if that 5k document was incredibly important. It's the content of the file and not the size that should help dictate the medium of transportation.

Besides that floppies are done.

Well, for a .doc file to fit on a floppy, there'd have to be so little text in it, memorizing it would probably be both faster and more reliable than either. In fact, I believe it's only recently that FSBs have gotten good enough to transfer .doc-crippled text faster than you can read it.

Eh? Floppies are big enough for several average-sized documents, I find... Of course, they're unreliable as shit, and we've always got English students coming in asking what happened to their paper, but for people that understand that you should use one hard copy and two electronic copies (e-mail it to yourself on some free web-based service and put it also on a disk), floppies make a great fallback, a quicker way than re-typing from a hard copy, less waste than a whole CD for a document, and a fast enough solution for all but the most impatient fucks to deal with. I get what you're saying, MS Office documents are unnecessarily huge, but not so much that it creates any major problems except for people (stupid stupid stupid people) who think they can keep a whole semester worth of work on a disk and have it still be reliable by the end.