Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phil1984

Detailed Vanilla Doom Levels:

Hey, I was just wondering what levels do you think are the most detailed, or best looking, levels that run under the original doom and doom2.exe?

Chris Lutz's Inferno episode for udoom. The ones myk posted are also fine choices though. :)

I haven't been around enough though, I just skimmed through my collection of quality addons (mostly megawads or episodes, TCs, etc.).

Hell Revealed. Equinox. Eternal Doom. The Darkening. TVR!. Alien Vendetta.

ravage said:

Equinox.

Equinox requires a port that removes (or rather extends) the limits of the Doom engine.

ravage said:

Hell Revealed.

Actually I wouldn't call Hell Revealed detailed now, but for its time it looked pretty good I reckon. Now Hell Revealed 2 has pretty nicely detailed levels (that are damn hard to boot).

Hey Grazza, talkin' about your avatar, haven't I seen it before? Does it not come from an old Doom-type game called Quiver?

I know it's not relatet to post's subject anyhow.

ellmo said:

Hey Grazza, talkin' about your avatar, haven't I seen it before? Does it not come from an old Doom-type game called Quiver?

I know it's not relatet to post's subject anyhow.

System Vices

ellmo said:

Does it not come from an old Doom-type game called Quiver?

As ravage says, it is from Bob Reganess's doom2 pwad System Vices. That wad was released in April 1996; the Quiver shareware (which I'm dling atm) is from April 1997.

It's funny though - three people have now asked about this; each of them thought they had seen it somewhere else before.

I WAS RIGHT! Heh, I had System Vices for quite a while now, and I remember those things. I just never got around to asking.

Back on topic: Why hasn't anyone mentioned Requiem yet?

Scientist

This wad will run flawlessly on Doom2.exe and yet looks wholly up to date. Go bug Scientist into making the sequel.

Revolution!

A megawad by one of Scientist's relatives. Classic good-looking Doom2 action, and it works flawlessly with Doom2.exe too.

Although I'm 100% atheistic, I would say whole Doom (especially The Shores of Hell and Inferno) have something to do with religious intolerance. It'll always depend on a proper point of view what you think of it. Gotta treat those games with a big distance, just as I treat the South Park series :D

engineer:
I dunno, being a Christian, I have a personal problem with Scientist and it's views of religious intolerance.

Huh?? Care to elaborate on that?
I fail to see why this wad is so offensive...

Thanks for the replys guys. And for the record Russel_P, you have every right to blow your own trumpet! My favourite level ever.

engineer:
Read the readme.

That was obviously written with a humorous intent. I mean, come on, the scientist is portrayed as the anti-christ... Surely Scientist doesn't truely believe science is a tool of the devil!

If some-one were to make a wad which allowed you to shoot up christians, muslims or jews I would accuse it of religious intolerance. But in this wad you only get to shoot up hell-monsters and a mad-scientist. Were's the 'religious intolerance' there?

It's nice to see my wad is being mentioned.

engineer,
hmmm, I guess you're upset because I deliberately misquoted biblical context and suggested the non-existence of god.
I admit doing so but I didn't really do it to offend anyone.

Obviously there is some friction between religion and science. There is religious intolerance towards science and scientific intolerance towards religion.
I absurdly exaggerated this friction; naming all scientists anti-christs. Science is described as the work of the devil and all scientists must be destroyed.
I thought everyone would recognise the absurdity of the story and thus wouldn't take it very seriously.

Besides one could just as easily argue that the story is about scientific intolerance.
Further having a problem with the story as a religious person because it doesn't fit your views can be called "religious intolerance". ;-)

Sure, I'm an atheist but you mustn't see the wad as some sort of ideological statement.
I hope you'll still have a look at the wad and enjoy it.

Go bug Scientist into making the sequel.

Well progress is slow, but slow progress is progress. Been very busy having to do other stuff.
Now that I'm on the topic:
monochrome, how's it going overthere. No pressure or anything, it's just that our communicating has decreased. (mailing doesn't work?)

You might disagree with the man, but i can assure you that his wads are devoid of any (anti)religious messages whatsoever.

Scientist said:
Well progress is slow, but slow progress is progress. Been very busy having to do other stuff.

Hey! That's MY line, you bastard!

Bleeding Tower of Pisa made vanilla Doom lag on a P120 when outside, but worked fine with no VOP errors or anything. This is not to be confused with some other pisa.wad though.