Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rich

Marswar demos/demoset

Well, this sounds like fun :).

Here's an extremely easy one of map 1 from the marswar megawad (in newstuff) to help kick it off.

This is a MAX recording using legacy 1.4.

mars01rs.zip

that was a pretty cool opening level.
Good job on the demo too, even if it was easy.
Rich, did you want us (and you) to work on the other levels?

Regarding marswar.wad:

Opulent said:

Rich, did you want us (and you) to work on the other levels?

That's fine with me but, in truth, I haven't even looked at the other levels. I did just finish running DMTHA against the megawad and found that most of the levels have two to three times more ammo than needed (a couple had less ammo damage potential than monster strength) so it will probably be rather easy to record. I took a very quick glance and it also appears most levels do not feature high counts on the harder monsters. I believe I saw three exceptions.

I'll try a couple.

I took a quick look through this wad quite a while ago (I found it on some website), and was generally quite unimpressed both by the appearance of the maps and by the gameplay. Having said that, some of the maps are kind of fun.

Therefore I don't think it deserves anything like a full demo-pack; maybe better just to leaf through it and choose miscellaneous maps that appeal.

That's not to say I wouldn't watch and enjoy all and any demos on this wad though. ;)

Here's an interesting map from marswar.wad - #29 (still in newstuff).
Authored by Nathan Lineback.

There is a lot of action, beginning with a cyberdemon and 51 revenants. It then moves on to other fun battles.

This is a MAX recording using legacy 1.4.

mw291140.zip

I'd be jazzed to see it but it looks like you left out the attachment.

Edit:
Unless it is hung up because it has to be checked by a mod.

Searcher said:

I'd be jazzed to see it but it looks like you left out the attachment.

Edit:
Unless it is hung up because it has to be checked by a mod.

Gene,

It has to be checked by a mod. but I can send it if you have room?

Just now emailed the zip.

Whoa, blaster master music... massive flashback there. I wish that game had a better sequel, the genesis one stank in comparison.

Grazza said:

OK, it's there now. Sorry, I was away from my computer for an hour. ;)

Hey, no problem. Actually, Lut's writeup says up to 12 hours to post demos.

This is map 30 from the marswar.wad.

If you watch this lmp you should know the author doesn't like Microsoft, so this is a variation on doom2, map 30 with cyberdemons to kill and a secret to find before killing Bill Gates :).

This is a MAX demo (mw300331) recorded using legacy 1.4.

I recorded this twice before realizing there was a secret. The original doom2, map 30 does not have any secrets; consequently, I wasn't paying attention. Anyway, I had to do it again because it's a MAX demo. My work on Bill Gate's face included two double and one single rocket hits as well as two double misses so that's not sloppy because it equals out, right? :)

mw300331.zip

Rich said:

If you watch this lmp you should know the author doesn't like Microsoft

If you look at map23 in the automap, you will see a further instance.

I've been taking a closer look at this megawad, and it certainly is a funny mix - quality, difficulty and originality are very uneven from map to map. Map32 looks fun (slaughter-style), though there are a few too many power-ups (and I like the music). Map22 is a lot of fun; map21 is seriously under-ammoed, at least near the start. Map20 is a carbon-copy of Heretic's E1M1; map31 is basically the same as Doom2 map31.

I thought I might as well get in on the marswar action: map32 UV Max in 5:38. I had problems deciding upon a good route.

Attachment removed to free up space. Please visit DSDA to get it.

I played it last night, at first I was pretty unimpressed, but the more I played it, the more I liked it. :P

Thanks, though in this map there are so many power-ups that it's hard to go too far wrong (I skip an invul in the zoo area, for instance) - the main danger is missing a monster or two.

Here's a legacy 1.4 max (kills/secrets) demo of map 22 from the marswar.wad megawad.

This is a pretty good level with enough action to kill you quickly, especially if you hurry. Fun level!

mw221125.zip

That was fun to watch. I had similar low-health moments when playing that map (I don't recall ever reaching the berserk with more than 10% health!), but there always seemed to be a way to cheat death.

That map frustrated the crap out of me.

Cool Run. A bit of tyson skill was certainly called for. I almost always die when I take em' on toe to toe.

I just hate low ammo maps. You will certainly never see me release one.

Here's a legacy 1.4 max demo of marswar.wad, map 20 - time 2:22.

This is certainly not a difficult level but it was fun to play.

In an earlier recording I forgot to pick up the single shotgun and ended up killing the revenants with the chainsaw. No big deal but that was more fun than this one, only slower.

mw200222.zip

Opulent said:

another good demo for the marswar-demoset.

It is starting to look like one, isn't it? You planning to contribute some yourself?

Opulent said:

pretty good conversion actually.
another good demo for the marswar-demoset.

Thank you! Not up to your speed but just something for fun.

Grazza said:

It is starting to look like one, isn't it? You planning to contribute some yourself?

I haven't even watched all the ones you guys have done. Love what I've seen so far...

Rich said:

Not up to your speed but just something for fun.

lies, lies! :)
good job on map30 too, btw... (this guy really didn't like Uncle Bill much, did he? :)

This one isn't very good, but there are two interesting things about it:
1) I messed up the route pretty badly (accidentally visiting the most dangerous area before I was properly tooled up), but somehow survive.
2) The demo (recorded with glboom 2.2.4) desynchs in Doom2.exe (but it's OK in Eternity), which is weird. Something for the prboom guys to look at.