Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaiser

Not another Episode 1 wad....

err...yeah..you heard me, Not another Episode 1 wad has been released

this is a wad based off the designs of John Romero and Tom Hall, so don't expect any serious level detail like in today's wads... This is my first attempt at making a E1 knockoff map.

get it here

kaiser_2.zip

runs on Doom1/Ultmate Doom E1M9

for those who want screenies before download here they are

Not bad, but not altogether a E1 knockoff map; the architecture and texturing vary from the theme in many places and the general layout is strange. There's a slight bug in the yellow key room when playing it on Doom, the lower texture bordering the pool looks skewed.

Like I said, it's called Doom (some thingy Carmack and friends compiled for DOS.)

You can see what I mean here. I've see it happen on some Doom-compatible wads that were tested only with source mods (Boom or ZDoom) before.

It also shows up with Doom95.

Hmm... a map with some episode1 feelings as I can see now. To make a real episode1 map, only use episode1 textures. And tons of other stuff in the "what makes a episode1 level", but I am sure it will be fun. But I dunno about the episode1 feeling. Well, the texture there really stick me is the grayX texture you use on the outside, try replace it with brown1.

omg I'm gonna play it right now 'cause I love Kaiser's maps! kekekeke

Edit: OKay I played it, definitely captures the action and pulse-inducing traps of e1-style maps, but the layout and detail is like, 50x more complex than traditional e1 fare. Overall very enjoyable!

Job said:

Well, DooMBoy oughta eat this shit right up.

Yep, I played it :)
Not bad overall, in fact, quite nice, but there's just a couple of things I noticed that should be fixed if it's to be uploaded:
1. Texture misalignments, I saw quite a few of these.
2. There are a couple of non E1 textures in there, such as metal and gray7. Those should be changed to something E1ish.
Other than that, pretty good. That damn red key threw me though, heheh.

DooMBoy said:

1. Texture misalignments, I saw quite a few of these.

point them out to me, I thought I took care of these.

Deathman said:

point them out to me, I thought I took care of these.

Well, i dont remeber which level, but the one where the red key is atop a skin pillar is one. The skin doesn't wrap around the pillar right. On another level, the begginin has a missing texture. Now time for what I think.

Really fun, but getting use to the jump key not working is hard =P Also, I had problems finding any secrets. But, i give it a 9/10. :D