Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
The Ultimate DooMer

Best gameplay

Hell Revealed for me.

Actually, my list of "best wads for gameplay" would be very similar to my list of "best wads", so I won't repeat lists I've given in other threads.

ravage said:

"anything that doesn't suck" gets my vote. :P

Same here.

I generally prefer wads that don't clog the maps with monsters. Plutonia does an excellent job doing this while being pretty deadly, other wads also have good playability while being relatively smooth or easier, such as TVR!. Not to say that maps with many monsters per blockmap square are necessarily bad, but I tend to play them less (though good demos are fun to watch anyway.)

Anyway, gameplay is a quite fundamental part of architecture. If you hire an architect for your house you'll want both looks and comfort or proper functionality.

gameplay? well i only real care about gameplay in multiplayer maps anyway, so i'll say chainsaw and boomsticks, which imo is the finest dm set out there.

Ok, my top 5 in terms of gameplay:

1. License To Spell Doom (the ultimate proof that excellent gameplay and extensive scripting do work together) ;-)
2. Dark 7 and Mission Pack
3. Nimrod
4. The Darkest Hour and Prequel
5. Dissolution (unfortunately it's rather short...)

Anything that's overstuffed with monsters immediately goes to the bottom of my list as for example Hell Revealed or Alien Vendetta. Unfortunately both start their difficulty range with 'annoyingly hard' and end with 'totally insane'. A little more range at the lower end would have been better. Scythe Episode 3 also went straight into the trashcan.