Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ellmo

Doom Mercenaries episode 1 released

Yes! I've finally finished the first episode of DooM:Mercenaries. It's a ZDoom project fo the Ultimate Doom, changing maps from e1m1 to e1m9, simple ACS scripting and some advanced ZDoom features included.

Grab it here http://doomos.webpark.pl/index.html and tell me what you think of it. This is very important for me. Thanks in advance.

Man, I'm sick of it... really pisses me of. What should I do, to draw some attention to my project? I dunno. I need some reviews. C'mon people I beg of you... ahhh /me died

I played it all the way through the other day. I found it to be decent, certainly not the best E1 Episode ever done, but certainly not all that bad either. I do disagree with the fact that the later levels have hellish textures (e.g., gstone); if it's going to be a real E1 Episode it should use only E1 textures. Difficulty is a little above average IMO, but then I'm not the best Doom player. Health was a little sparse, a little more here or there would help a little. Ammo was decent. Enemy placement was pretty good, but like with the hellish textures, there are e2, 3, and 4 enemies. Like I said before if you're going to make a true E1 replacer, you should use only E1 monsters.
All in all, it's a pretty good episode. I give it a 7.5 out of 10.

I played it through yesterday and I must say that of all E1 ripoffs I have seen this one comes closest to the real deal, Zdoom features or not.

Before you release it to newstuff make sure to correct the texture misalignment in E1M7. It is in the corridor that leads to the storage room with the rocket launcher.

This is a really well done and very playable wadset, but don't get too suprised if you hear a few groans. There has been a bit of a "not another E1 style map" mood in the air lately.

Its quite good although I have to say I liked the first version of E1M6 (with Doom2 textures in the canyon area) better. And I miss the 'strange alien world' parts in E1M4 and E1M5. ;-) Overall though this is one of the better WADs of recent weeks.

Oh, that's better. I relly need those reviews to continue with the project.
I'm currently trying to find out how to scrip those damn marines, for there will be one or two in later parts of the project to help you out (and of course to have some new mission objectives, not only "get your ass to..."). I think I can figure out something with the Vine texture in the canyon in E1M6, and GSTONEs aroun here and there. Caco's can obviosly be removed... Hmm, oh, and the misalignment. Cool.
About the "Strange Alien World" which was there in the previous versions of E1M4 and E1M5... I think I'll make E3 or E4 in this style, If this is to get so far.

Thanks for the Info Guys.

ellmo said:

I think I can figure out something with the Vine texture in the canyon in E1M6, and GSTONEs aroun here and there. Caco's can obviosly be removed...

Why don't you just put the 2 textures (ROCK5 and RROCK19) in? Unfortunately there is nothing in Doom 1 for this kind of terrain. The maps don't have to be 100% Doom1 style, don't they?

Very nice! I like it a lot. Quite nice looking non-linear levels, that's what i like. Challenging, but not too, some more ammo wouldn't be bad though. You definitely have skills at creating some interesting level design, so keep up the good work. :)

Now I'm working on an introductive cutscene using ACS actors and cameras. I have some problems though with those patrol points, since actors do not meet with them properly (they're not too accurate), But I'll try to make the cutscene interesting and dynamic anyways :)