Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Vile

Slayer Map 10

Max run. Thanks to Adam Hegyi for the route, mostly. I really botched the ending with the archviles but the comebacks seem to be the most appealing to the demo-watchers, and the health numbers get pretty close at the end of this one. :) I may find other levels from this one to record, it's a wad I've always admired but never done anything for... poo.

BTW, TVR ep3 NM is gonna stay on the backburner because just about all of my attempts have gone out of sync on the first level, after trying both 2.2.4 and 2.2.3. No matter, it's possible that this ep is the easiest one (map26 makes it debatable), so nothing too exciting is being missed.

EDIT: realized a mistake I made.. there is no slayer map11, I meant 10. Go me.

sl10-549.zip

Vile said:

BTW, TVR ep3 NM is gonna stay on the backburner because just about all of my attempts have gone out of sync on the first level, after trying both 2.2.4 and 2.2.3.

I've just recorded an NM on TVR map21, using a very safe and boring route (1:43!), and it played back OK. Of course, it might be that I was very lucky, and that if I recorded nine more they'd all desync, but maybe all you need to do is adopt a different approach on map21. I'd imagine lots of cacos being crushed and shot, and respawning near the player, is the sort of thing that would test the compatibility to the limits.

One odd thing though: Doom2.exe crashed immediately upon trying to play my demo (and yes, I had run deusf over it - filesize 7,974,640 bytes).

Great lmp! Always a pleasure to watch you work.

I especially like lmps where the player has to recover from adverse situations. In truth, it compliments your skill.

I just love that stairway map. What a great run. fighting your way to the exit with low health is always a nerve wracker, but sure shows well. Great time on a damn tough map!

Cool Job, Thanks.

Hey, cool demo. I especially like you managed to take out those archviles and that revenant on 16% health. Then near the chaingunners, you exited with 1% health(!). :)

Grazza said:
One odd thing though: Doom2.exe crashed immediately upon trying to play my demo (and yes, I had run deusf over it - filesize 7,974,640 bytes).

That's too small; the thing is that by default and rather obnoxiously DeuSF reads DOOM.WAD, not DOOM2.WAD. To fix this I generally temporarily rename DOOM.WAD to something else, and then back after I've added the stuff to the DOOM II patch wad. For instance with a batch file like this:

ren doom.wad doom.bah
DeuSF -app TVR!.wad
ren doom.bah doom.wad

myk said:

That's too small; the thing is that by default

Really? TVR!.WAD straight from the zip file is 5,363,532.

Thanks for the tip about doom.wad though. I do keep a copy of doom.wad in my doom2 directory for convenience, and this was indeed fouling it up. I tried what you suggested: I got a wad with a filesize of 9,630,572 and my demo played back fine.

Maybe I should make a stickied thread about this, since it could mess up anyone wanting to watch or record demos on deusf-based wads with doom2.exe.

I've got 5 full installs of Halflife(1.33Gb each) and 4 full installs of Q3(1.97Gb each) atm... I'm sure you guys can spare just 20 Mb to have a seperate directory for DOOM and DOOM2.
:)
relatedly, ever wonder how long ago you patched your Doom2 Iwad? I mean, I patched that thing from 1.666 like 3 years ago... always just copying it here and there... I don't have the final one on a bought CD.
lastly, that is if anyone is still reading, don't you get tired of re-creating Eternal and Strain and Hacx and.... seems right after I delete one of those, I have a need for it again. :)

Opulent said:

I've got 5 full installs of Halflife(1.33Gb each) and 4 full installs of Q3(1.97Gb each) atm... I'm sure you guys can spare just 20 Mb to have a seperate directory for DOOM and DOOM2. :)

I do. I just have additional copies of the other iwads in the doom2 directory, for the benefit of ports that look for them there.

Opulent said:

relatedly, ever wonder how long ago you patched your Doom2 Iwad? ... don't you get tired of re-creating Eternal and Strain and Hacx and.... seems right after I delete one of those, I have a need for it again. :)

I use the UD and Doom2 iwads from the id anthology. They are version 1.9, so no need to patch them.

But why do you ever need to delete Eternal, STRAIN and Hacx? Oh yes, because your disk is full of installs of HL and Q3. :p